Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about the 400Lbs weight limit. Has anybody had any luck pulling motorcycle campers with 2 adults in the car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trailers?

I would be interested in that answer too - as Toronto to Oshkosh (or the coming Hybrid Fest) would be nice to have some place to put the tents & stuff - leaving room in the car for the cooler!

I think I read in the forum about a trailer made 'from an insight' - but not sure!
Robert

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not wrong

but who are we to listen to the manual?!? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
dfiore said:
Has anybody had any luck pulling motorcycle campers with 2 adults in the car?
You asked about luck. ;)

Now you'll have to decide whether to roll the dice and see. :p
(AFAIK Yves's "luck" is still holding, but YMMV)

Seriously, IMO its the batteries. Too much load. Drive with that in mind and infrequently and the only issues you'll have is the MPG hit (ouch).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have pulled....

I had a 4x8 that pulled empty just fine and I toted an empty chest freezer around town. Don't know what its empty weight was

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yves trailer was made from a car top carrier and was very light and streamlined. It was difficult to find thick enough metal under the Insight to fasten the hitch to so it was definately a custom job. Bear in mind that when aluminum is flexed it hardens and cracks, so attach points will have to be backed up with presure distributing plates. In addition there is the issue of galvanic corrosion. If you really wanted to do it properly the hitch would probably best be plated and/or insulated. This trailer hitch will adversly affect your resale value, possibly insurance as well. You will want air adjustable suspension for the rear.

I'm not against trailers. I had hitches on my 1980 Prelude and 1990 CRX. I broke springs on the trailer 3 times haulling rocks with the Prelude. (By then it was rusted, more than 10 years old and I figured I needed an excuse for a new car. :roll:) I'm older and hopefully wiser now. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts