Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I am in the 100+ degree Texas heat and my 2000 Insight rear window make my "poor man's Ferrari" like a greenhouse! Just wondered if anyone has ever seen, heard or modified a rear window louvre/louver for the Insight ?? I know this ain't a 72 Mustang but they kept out overhead sunlight while still letting you see to the rear normally.
It seems like a winner to me. Only other alternative is window tint, which is OK or a shade for when parked.... Any suggestions ??
Thanks.
RAS

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,326 Posts
None available, design your own, be the first......make big bucks.
Mounted externally like the mustangs, it will effect the aero package.
Willie
We have the same problem in the high desert of Ca.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Window tint is a good start. I had tinted my rear hatch on both sides. The outside tint started to flake and peel way when the white stuff started falling. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Anyone know of a cling on rear window tint? My new drive has the sun directly in the rear window for the drive home. I would like something I can easily remove for winter or night driving, but can still see through during the day.

Funny I also thought about rear window louvers yesterday. I used to have a 1969 mustang fastback and they worked great for that.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Walmart sell static cling tint, a roll for 12 bucks. eBay sells precut tint for 30 bucks and you can kind of temporarily stick it to the window.

The window shade is tempting. Would make mounting solar cells easier to mount to too.

Wonder how much hacking would be needed to make the mustang or other muscle car to fit?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was kinda the point....

None available, design your own, be the first......make big bucks.
Mounted externally like the mustangs, it will effect the aero package.
Willie
We have the same problem in the high desert of Ca.
I kind of figured there was no commercial louver FOR the 2000 Insight. Only asked as I figured maybe some enterprising Insight owner out there had modified one from a 280zx or such..... Not sure WHAT popular car out there has a rear window anywhere near the size of the Insight but IF we can find one it might be possible to fit it. Would look cool but even more important would keep the sun out big time! Some were metal, some were plastic. Wish someone did make one as I would gladly pay the bucks... maybe I need a tape measure and head for some junk yards.
Window tint film is better than nothing but just looking for a better way. Saw a pull down style shade somewhere but it was meant for a parked car only.
RAS

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That is funny that you posted this, I cut 1/2 thick styrofoam that fits into my hatch glass and works great when it is parked. But I'm getting tired of opening the hatch and inserting the foam into the glass area each time I park at work, was actually remembering the black louvers from cars when I was a kid and thought about it for this car. And then my second thought was what Willie said that it would probably impact mpg's but I don't think it would affect it that much?

I think first thing I would if I try to make my own is remove the hatch wiper motor assy and plug the hole with some kind of rubber plug. I think it may cause interferiance issues anyways.

Second is that if one is made it needs to have some kind of bolt or quick release of some kind so you can lift it or hinge it away from the hatch to access the glass if needed.

Here is what you are kind of looking for albiet the wrong car.
NISSAN 280Z REAR HATCH LOUVERS | eBay

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The old louvers had a hinge on top so you could lift them and clean the window. Some of the cheaper plastic ones just double face taped onto the glass...
HERE is an interesting alternative: Rear Window Decals, Rear Glass Decals ? Signazon
Heavy vinyl with many small perforations/holes so you can still look through the rear window..they'll make it in ANY color..goes on the OUTSIDE though and no idea how many years it would hold up...meant for advertising but would definitely makes some serious shade in the back of your Insight.... $150 experiment..
Car One Way Vision

A white polyvinyl chloride (PVC) film specially-designed for application on vehicle rear windows. Apply on the outside of the window for one-way visibility. Graphics printed on perforated window films look less vibrant than those printed on solid vinyl because up to 50% of the vinyl is missing due to perforation. Thus, strong color contrast is preferred.

Features—Thickness: 8 mil. 50/50 perforation pattern, meaning that 50% of the film is micro-perforated with 1.5mm holes to achieve see-through effect. Self-adhesive backing, car wash- and rear windshield wiper-safe. Life expectancy: 2 years. For installation instructions, watch our Rear Window Graphics Installation Video.

Best For—Long-term fleet or business vehicle advertisements

Still looking for the real deal or some way to make one.... RAS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts