Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't help much with that, as I'm only at 25,000 miles/2 years - but I've never had to add oil to keep the level right on the "full" mark, so I guess that counts as zero oil consumption so far, same as yours.

I'm sure there are one or two people on this forum with 80+ kmiles, so hopefully they can help...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Our Insight does not at 65k, but I would not expect it to. My other Hondas may start dropping a quart in 5k starting around 175k. And then I change the oil. Only the one that has over 200k ever gets oil added between changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well somebody must have had a problem with excessive oil consumption. Anybody care to share the common cause of this?

·
Registered
227 Posts
there are several causes to why an engine will burn oil

1. pcv can be stuck open. when it is stuck open, oil may travel through the intake manifold, down to the runner, leak down to the valve and burn at the combustion chamber.

2. leaking valve stem seal

3. worn oil rings on the pistons

4. worn valve guides

is your insight having oil consumption problems?

·
Registered
245 Posts
About 40K miles on my '11 and no oil consumption that I can tell. I change mine at about 9K miles. 0w20, fully synthetic Mobil 1 so far, using OEM oil filters at each change.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ultraboy, I think it's time for you to tell us something about the Insight you have. I think I read somewhere that it is a 2012. But that is all we know. (your location would help as well, warranty varies by state & country as does the MID operation)
Did you buy it new? What model? How many miles are on it now? Are you having oil consumption issues? Burning oil & PCV valves are just not Honda questions. (although if you are interested in old Insights, you could do some reading in the first generation section, those are getting long in the tooth and their owners know a lot about keeping them running)

If you want to do maintenance on an Insight (or any Honda really) start by not changing the oil until the MID tells you to. The interval will be between 8 & 10K depending on your driving. Do change the transmission fluid more often than the MID says. Always use either genuine Honda fluid or something specifically made for Hondas.
You CANNOT use just anything. Start saving up for the spark plugs. They don't need changing until over 100K (105K? 120K? the MID will just count how many oil changes)
There are 8 plugs (4 of two types) they are very specific and very expensive. There is no timing belt, it is a chain. One would eventually replace the coolant, but it is long life and using Honda long life to replace it is also a good idea. The brake fluid gets changed every 3 years regardless of miles (as it does in all modern cars with ABS & stability control)

MID=Multi Information Display

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Ive been a modulator as long as Ive owned the car. Ive browsed this site even longer. I do not recall an article or post about any gen 2 that burns oil. I do believe Cheese had an issue with what looked like an oil leak, but it seems some models have that and its like a sealant used when the engine was put together.

The oil life is based on rpms and a few other factors. This means if you run your car hard or idle it alone it will still need a change in about the same amount of movement as the next guy.

Now the engine and filter holds like 3.4 qts of oil. Most dip sticks measure a qt from bottom to the full mark. So if it is on the very tip you are a qt low.

Having a car burn a qt an oil change is nothing unheard of these days and is perfect timing since you are going to change it anyway, why add it to justd up it?

Now Ive had people tell me when my car exits auto stop they see a puff of white smoke and Ive seen some smoke myself in the below freezing weather we have had in VA. Still my dip stick shows full.

Tell us more about your concerns. Maybe you are leaking it vs burining it? Have you done a wet and a dry compression test? That will tell you if its the rings, valve guides, etc.

Having said all of the above I sometimes think I see puddles near my car when I return to it, however none of the fluids are low. :confused:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Kinda like the Prius, the Insight engine is usually running at fairly low revs. I've not heard of a Prius or Insight burning oil. Not common. I would tend to guess there might be a maintenance issue if there really is oil being burned.

Would love to know how many miles on OP's Insight.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i bought mine in 2009 , and i have about 74,000 on it... i swithced to royal purple at the first oil change and have been on it sence... never seen oil drop on the stick or any burning ...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Nobody was ever burning oil. The OP here never responded to any questions posed to him. In fact never posted much at all and not around here in a while. Is it possible he was really asking about gen 1 Insights? Or perhaps just the very definition of a troll.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is the Fiesta a diesel? If not, maybe it's time to get her a new Honda Insight!:)
Nope. 1.25 petrol. I suspect piston ring wear.

We need room for us plus 2 kids and I think we'd both like to keep a manual car in the household so another Insight of either variety isn't really under consideration.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
A wet compression test will rule out if its the rings vs valve seals. Could be the rings are warn or never seated. :?

I think honda has their pvc and breather done right to avoid burning oil on its own. Its not uncommon for those little 4 screamers to pump the sump of oil up in the valve cover and head before it can fall down to the sump again and get sucked into the intake.

Thats likely why the pcv is on the lower left side vs the valve cover like on most cars. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nope. 1.25 petrol. I suspect piston ring wear.

We need room for us plus 2 kids and I think we'd both like to keep a manual car in the household so another Insight of either variety isn't really under consideration.

How many miles on the Fiesta?

·
Registered
831 Posts
A little short of 100,000 miles and 13 years old. It's getting rusty to. Time to let go soon.

Your Fiesta's been around a while! My son bought the latest generation Fiesta almost 2 years ago. The 1.6L engine was the only one offered in the U.S. back then. Now we can order a 3 cyl 1.0L, but only as a stripper (low option content) version. Right down to steel wheels and hubcaps only.

I like Fiesta a lot, but didn't buy one because we don't get start/stop over here yet. The reason I opted to buy the Insight. After having a Prius, it's hard to own a car that sits an idles at stops.

MPG on the 1.6L Fiesta is pretty good. I drove it a bit and managed 42 miles per gallon with his manual transmission. Very nice road car as well. Fun and comfortable to drive.

1 - 20 of 415 Posts