Honda Insight Forum banner

401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Yes it is quite possible Honda stopped using their “experimental” piston rings by your VIN & build date. It is also young for the issue to show up. Most report this with over 65k. The only symptom is low oil. I wouldn’t even worry about the oil in there now, just wait until the MID says to change it. The oil life % is real, you can use it. In fact, you should, because the MID will not set codes for other service until it reaches 15%. But do check the oil level in between changes.
Now if you do want to be proactive, change the CVT fluid. Use only Honda branded fluid. It is quite possible it never has been changed. The MIDwould have set the code for that around 30k. Around here we like to change it every 18-20 k or every other oil change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn’t even worry about the oil in there now, just wait until the MID says to change it. The oil life % is real, you can use it. In fact, you should, because the MID will not set codes for other service until it reaches 15%. But do check the oil level in between changes.
I do trust the oil life prediction from my years with a CR-Z. I was able to get the Insight's service history from my local dealership, and they replaced the oil+filter about a month ago.
So, dealer replaces oil+filter, a couple weeks go by and the car is sold to a non-Honda lot, who then dumped the OEM oil+filter for whatever bulk mystery stuff they use. Would rather jump back on the OEM parts train while the original service was fresh anyway. I don't even see a brand on the current oil filter. :|

Now if you do want to be proactive, change the CVT fluid. Use only Honda branded fluid. It is quite possible it never has been changed. The MIDwould have set the code for that around 30k. Around here we like to change it every 18-20 k or every other oil change.
Definitely seeing where diligence in CVT fluid changes helps in a number of ways.
Looking at the dealership records, I'm seeing "A123" was performed at 23,400 miles, so being around 47,000 miles now, in keeping with the "around here" schedule I'll pick up some CVTF. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
so far so good! 165,000 km with 85% oil life left and no burn in sight! It just above the full mark on a cold soak in the morning and I hope the engine stays that way until 500,000 km!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
so far so good! 165,000 km with 85% oil life left and no burn in sight! It just above the full mark on a cold soak in the morning and I hope the engine stays that way until 500,000 km!
The "experimental" piston rings where only used in the 2012 & 2013 Insights, your 2010 is not involved in this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup, Brand new Short Block

I have excessive oil consumption on 2013 EX Insight bought brand new with 3 miles on it

First found issue at 60k miles. Which was rather quick cuz I drive 50k a year.

Fought with Honda dealer but eventually after doing oil consumption test they gave me a new engine at 80k miles and I didn’t have extended warranty. At the end of testing I was burning 1qt every 800 miles.

This is a common issue across other Honda Models. Check the service bulletins.
I suspect it’s from a vendor whom supplied crap piston rings that were hard or out of tolerance and cut up engine sleeves.

Free engine at 80k and now I sit at 225k and don’t burn a drop of oil every 10k with the new revision short block

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will say I have not noticed any unexpected noise, smell, hesitation, smoke, or anything else to indicate this specific 2013 model is burning oil.
While this is still true, I've been receiving P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire codes for a couple weeks. Haven't noticed anything, and at the same time, an ABS code 83-01, ECM/TCM Failure, code appeared. Cleared it, and went back about my business.

15 warm-ups later, the same codes reappeared.
Pulled the plug on cylinder 3, and yup, it looks terrible. Plugs for cylinder 1-3 look really bad, and 4 is only "not great."

Plugs 1, 2, 3, 4:

Got a borescope. The tops of the pistons are all pretty bad, and here's number 4:

Oil's a quart down. Only 2,000 miles since the last change.

Guess it's my time to do battle with my local dealership.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,392 Posts
Another HUGH screen. Please readjust.

Documentation and pictures will do you no harm.

Willie

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,392 Posts
We had another similar thing happen the other day and it was solved by the OP.
(Possibly using a cell phone for posting)

Its not me, as all the other threads are normal.
Willie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guess it's my time to do battle with my local dealership.
Dropped it off toady, and they've already ordered "the piston rings." That's it.
It may be good to document my interactions with the dealership for others to reference if it'll help others down the road. Hopefully it won't be a fight. I'll make a separate thread.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I'm late to this discussion but we have a 2012 Insight with a bit over 100k miles now and it started to use more oil around 65-75k miles and now uses about 1qt/2k miles, about double what it was new to roughly 50k miles.

So apparently our's is one of those 2012-2013 models with low tension rings or ??? Sux and we plan to replace the car with something else a bit later this year after this stupid virus BS blows over.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am late to this dance as well, but I have a 2012 that went through a lot of oil. There is a service announcement for this, as others mentioned. Did the oil consumption test with the dealer (threshhold was more than a quart/1000 miles) and after burning about a quart, they brought my vehicle in under the announcement and basically rebuilt the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered in the thread, I tried to follow through all 21 pages and years worth of information on this issue.

What are the part numbers to 'fix' a 2012/13? If you get a low miles (<20k/30k miles) 2012/13 is it saveable?

I really like the styling of the facelift 2012/13 model and there are a few with very low miles but these extended warranties are now over and Honda UK didn't offer them in the first place.

401 - 415 of 415 Posts