Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
up the weight of the oil perhaps - try 5w-30 and then 10w-40 if that doesn't do the trick ... I believe they make a synthetic version of those weights

I had a 1994 Saturn SL2 (great car right before my I2) that burned one quart every 1000 miles ... I just bought cheap cases of oil and kept putting it in ... I did that for the last 20,000 miles of ownership ... most of the oil burned on startup - maybe worn cylinders and/or rings getting blow by or leaky seals somewhere on the top end

what did the old plugs look like? even color? any buildup on one cylinder as opposed to the others?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed the few who posted were trollinglololol. :D

In all seriousness we need a wet and a dry compression test. This will tell where it is leaking. Also pull a plug from each cylinder and check its color. This will tell if its isolated to a single cylinder or all.

A poor mans test is to get a way to monitor the exhaust. Then in park, brakes set floor the throttle, does it smoke? Slide foot off throttle to let engine return to idle. Did it smoke then?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed the few who posted were trollinglololol. :D

In all seriousness we need a wet and a dry compression test. This will tell where it is leaking. Also pull a plug from each cylinder and check its color. This will tell if its isolated to a single cylinder or all.

A poor mans test is to get a way to monitor the exhaust. Then in park, brakes set floor the throttle, does it smoke? Slide foot off throttle to let engine return to idle. Did it smoke then?

Hi Cobb, as for my car...its not smoking at all at anytime what so ever...very clean...
I'm hoping that the new spark plugs and valve adjustment will solve the problem...but as suggested I will be moving to a Mobil 1 5-30 Synthetic oil from now on (the 0-20 is a nightmare to find around here anyway)...and I'll keep you guys posted as well...
Also, the Bosch plugs are only $9 each so I'll probably change them more often now as well, probably every 50K if they're not looking perfect at that time...
Take care :)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
If you get a chance check the breather and pcv. The breather is at the rear of the engine on the valve cover. Just disconnect the hose and stick your pinky in there to see if its soaked in oil or dry. Mines is dry.

The pcv is down on the left side of the engine by the dip stick and intake manifold. Its a U shape piece of tube you see poking out between the intake runners and radiator fan. You can try disconnecting one end and likewise feel it out.

I got almost 90 thousand and no oil is being burned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you get a chance check the breather and pcv. The breather is at the rear of the engine on the valve cover. Just disconnect the hose and stick your pinky in there to see if its soaked in oil or dry. Mines is dry.

The pcv is down on the left side of the engine by the dip stick and intake manifold. Its a U shape piece of tube you see poking out between the intake runners and radiator fan. You can try disconnecting one end and likewise feel it out.

I got almost 90 thousand and no oil is being burned.
Hi Cobb, I'll have to look into checking those...I know where the PCV valve is, but no idea what to do with it once I get it off...how to check if it's working or not that is...
Have no idea on the breather either...
Time to do some searching on those two I guess...
:)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
To check a pcv you shake it to see if it rattles or try to suck and block through it. It should act like a check valve and block you in one direction. If its clogged up or wont rattle it needs replacing.

So at 105 thousand miles you started to magically burn oil? Sounds like a broken ring, but looking at the plugs it appears to be about identical looking.

Interesting......

·
Registered
17 Posts
To check a pcv you shake it to see if it rattles or try to suck and block through it. It should act like a check valve and block you in one direction. If its clogged up or wont rattle it needs replacing.

So at 105 thousand miles you started to magically burn oil? Sounds like a broken ring, but looking at the plugs it appears to be about identical looking.

Interesting......
So last night after reading your post Cobb, I called the local parts store and they had a PCV for my car for $12...so I went down and picked it up and installed it. I wasn't sure how to check the PCV valve at that time, but figured for such a low price, why not replace it and make sure.
When I took out the old PCV valve it looked clean...a small amount of oil did come out of the plug hole it was in, but not much...
BTW, not sure if I mentioned this but the oil burning is from the full mark on the oil dipstick to maybe a little over half way between full low lines on dipstick for every 500 or so miles I drive...is that a lot, not sure...
Before around 105K miles I lost nothing between changes at all...
No smoke coming from exhaust at all at any time under any situation...

I'll tell you, between the valve adjustment, new plugs, the car feels so much better and full of power like the day I bought it...also I normally get 50-51MPG or so on the way home and yesterday I got 54.3MPG...:)

I did also buy some heavy weight oil last night...Mobil 1 5-30 High Mileage full synthetic...going to try that on my next oil and filter change (I always change the filter every time even though they say to change it every other time).

I'm still looking for the 'Breather' you mentioned...and what should I be looking for on that?

Thanks for the help...

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Yeah, its the rings or blow by. Heavier oil should help/fix.

Its hard to see, but its in green. There is a hose from the rear of the valve cover to goes to the air filter box. Id thought if you un did the end and stuck your pink in it it may help isolate the problem to blow by. Its hard to access stuff on the engine since the intake is like a bad comb over from the left to the right side of the engine. :mad:

Of course putting a catch can on the pcv hose will help. In the olden days we put washers in the hose to further restrict oil flow. :cool:

The lines on the dip stick measure a qt, so a qt every thousand miles. Abnormal for this car, but not in general. My sidekick uses qt every oil change or 3 thousand miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, its the rings or blow by. Heavier oil should help/fix.

Its hard to see, but its in green. There is a hose from the rear of the valve cover to goes to the air filter box. Id thought if you un did the end and stuck your pink in it it may help isolate the problem to blow by. Its hard to access stuff on the engine since the intake is like a bad comb over from the left to the right side of the engine. :mad:

Of course putting a catch can on the pcv hose will help. In the olden days we put washers in the hose to further restrict oil flow. :cool:

The lines on the dip stick measure a qt, so a qt every thousand miles. Abnormal for this car, but not in general. My sidekick uses qt every oil change or 3 thousand miles.
I'll check that hose when I get home...
BTW, I keep checking the oil levels every day now and I don't think it's lost any in the past 3x days...I'll know more by the end of the week, I put 200x miles a day on so it's easy to tell on a weekly basis...I'll keep you posted.
Also going to shake the old PCV valve and see if it rattles when I get home...if it rattles could it have been the cause of the oil consumption?

Take care

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
The pcv valve allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the inside of the motor, but prevent back fires from going back into it. Then when the crank case has a positive air pressure or heavy acceleration the breather allows it to vent into the air intake. Either way more harmful gases are consumed as fuel vs vented to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The pcv valve allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the inside of the motor, but prevent back fires from going back into it. Then when the crank case has a positive air pressure or heavy acceleration the breather allows it to vent into the air intake. Either way more harmful gases are consumed as fuel vs vented to the atmosphere.
Just got home and shook the pcv valve and it rattles big time when I shake it...it wasn't working at all...I really appreciate your great advice
How often should that be replaced or even checked?
I again checked my oil when I got home, and I don't think its consuming any more or its very very little...very cool!

Take care

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts
I think you have it backwards. If a PCV valve rattles, it's good. If it doesn't rattle it's bad. There could be other factors, of course, but yours sounds like it's good.

Sam

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you have it backwards. If a PCV valve rattles, it's good. If it doesn't rattle it's bad. There could be other factors, of course, but yours sounds like it's good.

Sam
Hi Sam,
When I simply turn the old valve upside down I can feel something in it slide down and hit the bottom...then turn it back and I can feel the same piece slide back down again...so I thought that was an indicator of failure per a co-worker...
From everything I've found on the good ol' internet they say the PCV valve should be changed some where around 80-100K miles...I have 115K on my car, and the valve was only $12, so I'm not feeling too bad about it...it also took me maybe 5min to change it out so it was easy enough...one less thing to worry about.
:)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Check one is to see if it rattles, thats good. Check two is to suck or blow through an end. It should allow you to do one, but not the other. Its basically a check valve to allow a vacuum to be applied to the crank case, but not allow air into it like from a backfire into the intake manifold.

Yes, it can rattle and be bad at the same time. :)

They can cause performance issues, so since they are soo cheap, I replace them anyway when I do a tune up.

Sam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check one is to see if it rattles, thats good. Check two is to suck or blow through an end. It should allow you to do one, but not the other. Its basically a check valve to allow a vacuum to be applied to the crank case, but not allow air into it like from a backfire into the intake manifold.

Yes, it can rattle and be bad at the same time. :)

They can cause performance issues, so since they are soo cheap, I replace them anyway when I do a tune up.
Got home and checked the old PCV valve...I was able to blow through both sides of it...it definitely went belly up...something I would have never thought to check either, thanks for the advice

At how many miles should I change it out in the future? Every 20K?

Take care

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I dont know, 40 thousand miles? The insight is the first low maintenance car I have own. I use to drive between 90 and 300 miles a day, but that changed. :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have never changed one in any car.

James, thanks for giving us enough information to believe you. It will be interesting to see if the valve makes any difference. I do hope you will remember to update.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I changed one, back in the '70s!!! Haven't had a problem with one, since.

41 - 60 of 414 Posts