Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a Honda Civic GX. It runs on compressed natural gas. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this car. I have done a lot of research and understand the sacrifices required, like limited fuel stations and virtually no trunk space (already accustomed to that one!) but I haven't driven one before. Are they underpowered? Do they ever experience engine problems?
Thanks... :?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I had two cars converted to CNG. I loved it. Refilling was a little scarry in the cold Canadian winter. (The O rings on the nozzle tended to rupture.) Refilling took about 5 minutes if there was no one else in line. I therefore recommend home refueling. In cold weather the engine would start on gasoline and be switched over to CNG when warmed a little. Engines love running on the stuff. They will last almost forever based on the Italian experience. Perfomance was fine. I had the ignition advanced to the point that would have destroyed a gasoline engine. :D The timing was electronically delayed when using gasoline. I used it for years until they closed all the stations. Dinofart powered! :badgrin:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My family had a bi-fueled Propane F-150 for about a year. I liked it, especially considering Propane got cheap durring the summer right as gasoline prices shoot up for the summer driving season. It actually had more power on propane, but the ultimate benefit would have come if it had an engine built for propane only.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Civic GX. A teacher of mine had one, and so did her husband. They have a compressor at their home they share and it suites them fine. They have about the same power as the hybrid, which isn't a hot rod, but plenty for commuting. The trunk space is less for the CNG tank, but what's left is actually the perfect size to put grocery bags in without them falling over.

The advantage with the GX though is even though you loose trunk space they moved the rear seat back so it is larger (at least that's what I was told). Plus it is a Fed rated IHLEV, which will never be contested for single occupant HOV lane use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts