Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a map of accesses INTO the HOV lanes in Orange County. I know where the HOV lanes are, just not sure where the 'access' points are - where the lines go from double-yellow to dotted.

For example:
55 fwy S, transition to 405 N, it appears there is no access to the 405 N HOV until nearly Harbor Blvd . . . . I would like to explore options. Maybe transition the 55 S to 405 S, then U-turn to catch the 405 N HOV before the 55 ? ? ? . . . anyways, a map would be real helpful. I tried Google Earth, and even Local.Live, but the interchange was under construction during the satellite pass.

Anybody ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wish I could help you... next time I'm on the 55, I'll try to remember to keep an eye out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
55s has carpool to carpool access to both the N and S 405, as does the 91 e to the 5s and 57 n, 5n -91w. the 5s has access to the 55s aswell. The 55n goes to the 5n, however this carpool lane can take longer than the mainline thru the crush. Looking at the construction on the 22 it looks as if they will not be connecting its upcoming carpool lanes to any of the intersecting freeways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best of my knowledge, there is NO carpool -> carpool transition from 55S -> 405N. Are you 100% on that ? . . . maybe it's underground or something.
. . . and THEN, once aboard the 405N, there is no HOV access until near all the way to EUCLID ( not Harbor, as I previously stated ) . . .

You have a very valid point - the 405N HOV is probably as slow as the 'traffic' lanes anyways < at least at 1700hrs >. I often immediately exit the 405N onto SouthCoast, then parallel the fwy until just N of the Harbor on-ramp. However, at 0800, on the 405S from Warner, the HOV is awesome - I probably pass like 5000 'parked' cars on my way to work.

My guess is that carpoolers were cutting across all lanes, when transitioning the 55S to 405N - so they eliminated the access until well north of the interchange. The HOV access FORMERLY extended up to Bristol. NOW that section is HOV 'exit-only' < yellow dotted on the HOV side, solid yellow on the traffic side > . . . I am trying to uphold the exalted, revered status currently enjoyed only by Insight drivers, but I have crossed into the HOV at the 'exit-only' section. I figure crossing ONE solid line is better than two. Probably the same fine no matter.

Note to prospective single-occupant hybrid-HOV perpetrators: - make sure you KNOW your access points.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy Crap . . . there IS a carpool -> carpool transition from 55S to 405N. Not only does it exist, it is enormous - an engineering marvel.

I checked today.

Unfortunately, the access point is somewhat NORTH of my S-bound onramp at MacArthur. . . . how far north I wonder ? ? ? . . . is it worth it to venture north for the access, only to crash headlong into parked-car hell on the 405N HOV ? ? ?

Good God . . . driving an HOV Insight is HARD - and fraught with peril.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the exit above is a mile north and you can access the HOV from there. Generaly the HOV doesn't suck until just before the 73 merges. I am a courier so I'm famaliar with most traffic patterns through out socal, and that strech is among the worst. The general rule of thumb is HOV saves a min. a mile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts