Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 56K, my car is making some noise from the rear when applying light brake pressure.....so I plan on a rear brake job.

anyone done this???

-- as usual the search function was zero help to me!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can't imagine you'd need rear shoes at 56K! I've gone well over 100,000 and still have the originals on the back.

Make sure the noise you're hearing is actually brake related.

Too many posts for the search to work very well.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Remove the rear wheels, remove the hubs, blow off the brake residue/dust, and keep on trucking!

Willie

·
Registered
344 Posts
Willie Williford said:
Remove the rear wheels, remove the hubs, blow off the brake residue/dust, and keep on trucking!

Willie
What Willie said!!! I changed my front pads at 123,000 and they could have gone another 20,000 or so. I have 158,000 on the rear and they are still good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, I thought it was a bit strange for rear brakes at 56K.....I'll have a look at the hubs/parts later this week.

thanks for the input fellas! 8)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't know what the sound was but its gone now.

I went ahead and inspected the rear drums anyway....everything looked good - I just cleaned it up with hi-press air and put it back together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought compressed air to clean out brakes was a no-no, as there is still some asbestos and other bad stuff in the dust?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I rotated my tires and checked the brakes last week-end. Rear brakes are still original at 160,000 and they have a lot of life left. It looks like they will be good for another 100,000 or so.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ScottH said:
I thought compressed air to clean out brakes was a no-no, as there is still some asbestos and other bad stuff in the dust?
probably true....I tried not to get near it when I blasted it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had rear brake noise at 12,000 miles. Very disturbing.
Of course it was because I had the car in a Honda dealer the day before for routine servicing!
No problem going in, brake noise coming out.
The service dept claims it was "rust" that broke loose when they serviced the car. After rechecking the brakes, the noise miraculously disappeared.
I suspected incompetence, but hey, maybe it was dirt. Try cleaning your brake pads.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never noticed any noises, but I have noticed a surging under light breaking that was coming from the rear. This was on the way home from the dealer that I no longer go to. After taking the wheels off and putting them back on, the problem was gone. I figure they must have put the lug nuts on with way to much torque, causing the alluminum break hubs to warp.

Most dealers really don't know what they're doing when servicing Insights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts