Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe its me, but I find once a week I manage to clip a curb when making a right turn. I use to have this problem with my 06 scion xa. Whats ironic is that I have driven big cars and trucks, these are the only 2 I do this and I try my best to protect my alloy wheels on this car.

Anyone else do this? Any advice? I see for the Japanise market they offer front view camera and blue illuminated fender locators, but nothing for the rear.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, agreed. I have done this at least twice as often than with any other car, including the HCH and the Prius.

It might be that these cars turn a bit tighter and we misjudge distance due to where we sit?

In my case, it is only the one curb at work, so I just now try to avoid it!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I have done it once before too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Havent done it yet with this car as I find the turning to be much tighter and predictable than my '93 oldsmobile, which couldnt do a successful U-turn if it was alone on a football field.

It probably boils down your perception of the car's geometry with respect to your FOV. Sometimes you just judge wrong and nip a corner:p

Besides, didnt drivers ed teach us not to turn until the wheels were already in the intersection ? Surely you're not taking corners at a glide, are you? :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
Besides, didnt drivers ed teach us not to turn until the wheels were already in the intersection ? Surely you're not taking corners at a glide, are you? :D
Well, no, unless you define that as less than 4MPH and inside of a parking lot:):)

·
Registered
702 Posts
i have done it a few times, but no more often than once every couple months

i think you just need to remember the car turns super tight and adjust for it...seems like your not the only one though

ive been driving tiny, tight turning cars since i got my license...ive had a civic, mazda mx-3, geo metro, and now my insight...so maybe im used to em

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've hit the curb quite a few times in my Civic, which also sort of just falls away from you in the front and turns pretty good.
When my daughter drove the Insight, she nearly took out a car parked on the other side of the street we were turning on to.
Anti-perspirant time.
I'm finding the Insight pretty intuitive to handle, and I am trying to avoid my usual bonehead stunts like clumping up on the curbs.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive yet to do it with my metro and its a 3 door hatch back.

At least I am not alone. So far I havent curbed a wheel.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Funny you should post this. A couple weeks ago I was waiting to make a right turn out onto a busy road, and this guy was nice and stopped to let me go. When I took my right (quickly) the back wheel went right up the curb! How embarrassing!
I used to go up curbs with my old '98 CRV more often though. :oops: I think I'm being more careful with the Insight as there's more bottoming out potential.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe its me, but I find once a week I manage to clip a curb when making a right turn. I use to have this problem with my 06 scion xa. Whats ironic is that I have driven big cars and trucks, these are the only 2 I do this and I try my best to protect my alloy wheels on this car.

Anyone else do this? Any advice? I see for the Japanise market they offer front view camera and blue illuminated fender locators, but nothing for the rear.
When you make a right turn, you need to know where your vehicle is in relation to the curb and corner. And, you need to know that the rear right wheel is your pivot point in a right turn. Your rear tires turn inside of the front wheels because of that. Imagine looking down at a car driving straight. There are two straight lines from the tires. Now turn right. There are four sets of tracks. The rear tires "cheat" and cut the corner. Time your turn in accordance. A good "Rule of Thumb" is to hold off your turn until the back of your front seat (while you are looking right) is in a straight line with the curb of the street you are turning on to. Your wheels should clear.

In relation to your proximity to the curb, the closer you are to the curb on the right, the longer you have to hold off on your turn. If there are no parked vehicles between you and the curb (about six feet of clearance), your turn will work. However, if the right side of your car is within a foot of a car parked on your right or a foot from the curb, remember that the right rear will cheat and go over the curb if you forget and turn too early.

If you are in a country that drives on the left side of the road, reverse what I said and apply it to left turns.

Also remember, when you cross in front of traffic making a right or left turn, don't turn too early. Position your vehicle so you make a more deliberate, sharper turn to the left or right. That way you won't scare other drivers when they see you cutting a corner and you seem to be heading straight for them. And, you will be able to position yourself better in the lane you are turning in to.

May your skills be with you.

Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cars with tight turning radii are a prerequisite for me. I guess you get used to it. I damn near slice corners with my Insight, almost turns as sharp as my old Nissan 240SX and Toyota MR2.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I never have. But after reading these posts, I'll probably start.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,112 Posts
This thread lay dormant for 12 years and now you have to remind us how to drive?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Some people need to be taught. Living in California, were right turns at red lights are permitted (unless it is posted you can't) I got some real good advise from an attorney once. When looking left for a space to go, don't forget to check to your right one last time for a pedestrian. You kill less people that way.

·
Registered
487 Posts
...I got some real good advise from an attorney once. When looking left for a space to go, don't forget to check to your right one last time for a pedestrian. You kill less people that way.
My dad often used the phrase "looking left to turn right" to warn us kids of any poor decision we were about to make.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts