Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my insight, and its supper high gear ratio transmission. But i have to admit that when a crazy suv driver decides that his car is big enough to simply switch lanes right over me, i do miss that gear between 2nd and 3rd. 4 and 5 are overdrive gears, so forget fast accleraction in those gears, and 3rd is still just a smidge too high.

If you look over the gear ratios we are missing our sixth gear!!!
Heres to hoping the Insight II will have a six speed transmision!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Or you could just slow down, instead? I don't understand, are you trying to close the gap so they can't change lanes, or are you trying to get out of the way?

Still, I agree that the bottom 3 gears are a little too widely-spaced for me, but that's OK. My first car had a 3-speed manual, with the shifter on the steering column...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually i am just trying to swerve into the next lane and out of the way, but its nice to have the car speed up to avoid getting rear ended!

When the big 18 wheelers try and run me over, i cant just slow down! then i will still get run over!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
A 2.5 gear would be nice. It's my understanding that 3, 4,and 5 are all overdrives! Perhaps the Insight II will have 6 speeds like the new Accord hybrid.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
4th and 5th gear only are overdrives. The ratio is below 1.

Personally, I think that it is a gear between the 1st and 2nd that is missing to have a higher 2nd. The 2nd RPM is about half of the 1st which is not usual.
BUT it is the same result has per Justin asked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe you're too worried about gunning the engine in 2nd to use it ? 2nd gear in the Insight goes really fast, much faster maybe than you realize. Sure, you'll suffer a little mpg efficiency, but if it's a matter of safety, I suggest you use it !

8)

·
Registered
348 Posts
dmaurer said:
Maybe you're too worried about gunning the engine in 2nd to use it ? 2nd gear in the Insight goes really fast, much faster maybe than you realize. Sure, you'll suffer a little mpg efficiency, but if it's a matter of safety, I suggest you use it !

8)
100% agree ! Never had a car with a faster accelleration. It's very astonishing to see every time how the car flies when you engage 2nd at 30 mph, floor it, and accellerate up to 60mph.
You'll even leave 1,9 l TDIs behind 8)
I managed the Insight's top-speed (109 mph) in 3rd btw :!:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys... it's an honda vtec engine....open it a like to the cut-off in second....it will just be fun! =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts