Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insight just sits. I think I've put maybe 2 tanks of gas through it since March, and that is only because I ran to another city for something a couple times.

The whole point of owning one is to save $ on commuting. Now I'm not commuting.

·
Super Moderator
8,241 Posts
I drive my cars even more. It is a safe form of recreation:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have not driven mine since I can remember. I have pretty much stayed in my house since March 13th and only now started to get out a bit. Nowhere far and not in my insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Japanese 05 CVT
75 Posts
No, only used the car for two very short journeys since mid March. We’ve been on extended lockdown due to medical shielding so no going to workplace, shops or visiting relatives for us since mid March. I used the time to run a routine charge/discharge cycle on the IMA battery and visibly saw an improvement, so that’s good.

Shielding is relaxing at the end of the month but not really sure when I’ll use the car again!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I retired back a couple of years ago and my driving fell from 60 miles/day to nearly nothing. I take a couple-mile stop-and-go drive every day to a house we're renovating and sometimes go for an hour-long drive to get the heck out of the house. The IMA battery seems to be holding up okay. So far, at least.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Being retired for a long time now there is no to and from work. I do get in some rec driving now and then but very, very little. And when I do it is ~100 miles, maybe, sometimes with my co-pilot, Ace, my Schipperke. He is enthusiastic as a co-pilot but not much of a map-reader. I alternate between my 2009 Fit and the 2001 Insight with the '87 2CV ready to go tomorrow for a very short jaunt.

The last trip I made was for the February 29th get-together in Blackhawk which was great fun with a great bunch of folks. And the Bumble Bee and KLR3CYL T-shirts are getting real use. But other than that, no trips. At 80 I am being extra careful about meeting people, any people. And I do not figure on having folks visit this year at all. When there is a treatment for Covid-19 I'll be glad to visit and be visited. I've seen too many accounts of innocent and well-meaning get-togethers that have resulted in unwanted disasters.

I worked a few years for Aetna and learned the primary rule of insurance: expose yourself to as little risk as possible.

Reactions: RMD

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Drove 1000 miles down to Florida last week. Not in an Insight but another 65 mpg car. Can't catch the virus inside your car and common sense can reduce the chances of getting it outside.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I drove one of my cars to the construction job. Had a license plate on the car the car was the same color as the correct car. But the car had a different serial number. I was parked next to the job site in a cornfield. Police car stoped and check it out.Before long there were four police cars out there. They were walking around the car one guy opened the door.

I was driving a tractor a half mile away just watching. Happy I did not come in my green car. Wishing I had came in the correct car. I hope they did not have coronavirus even out in the middle of nowhereJust corn Cornrows territory the car brings up a lot of attention.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Police car stoped and check it out.Before long there were four police cars out there. They were walking around the car one guy opened the door.
Buy check it out, you mean, out of curiosity? Or did they run the tag and the VIN? I assume not the latter as you would have mentioned it was impounded by now.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,715 Posts
Sounds like a "switched plate" routine.
Hope that was not the case.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah I’ve had my cars for three years now. Same gasoline trying to burn out the old gas and put in a new supply. I drove my green car last year 8 miles.Have not driven the car this year yet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do not need a car, but I still drive my 2000 Insight once a week or so to keep the battery happy. Which does not work very well. Time to plan a road trip to Great Britain, I think. 😁

Before you ask why I own a G1: they had sold 120 here in Germany, and one of them is mine. It's a collector's item, even in the bad (optical) shape it is in.

Cars need to be driven. Sitting at the curb for weeks is the worst one can do to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder what increase in working remotely will do for the interest and resale value of our cars. As of now.... at least for me, there's no longer a point to even own it. And I've put 100k on mine.

If my annual milage is less 3k.... I should probably just get rid of it and put the insurance/space towards my other vehicles that only get 20-30mpg.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Working remotely? Except for Europe, this will bring the G1's value down. It's the perfect commuter's car, and as long as people are working from home and start to see the benefits: no time and money spent on the road...

It depends on what and where you work. My boss has seen a production plus since C19 lockdown and now thinks about letting us work from home forever.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think working from home is wonderful brilliant terrific and many other adverbs.

My interest in the car comes from serval different directions. The benefit of aluminum over steel. The boat tail shape of the car. Three cylinder motor. It’s artistic to me. The more I found out about the car the more I value it but not money wise.
There is an old ancient Chinese proverb.—I don’t know much about Evel Knievel.— Very enlightening!!!🤓

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been driving maybe slightly less than usual, but not by much. During the last half of the spring semester I didn't drive much because everything was cancelled. A slight bummer because when gas went down to $1.39 I still had mostly a full tank and didn't need to fill up until it a few weeks later when it went back up to $1.59 LOL.

Reactions: Ecky

·
Linsight Designer
1,902 Posts
I drove one of my cars to the construction job. Had a license plate on the car the car was the same color as the correct car. But the car had a different serial number.
One plausible explanation: "I changed the dashboard."

·
Linsight Designer
1,902 Posts
I drove my green car last year 8 miles.Have not driven the car this year yet.
I haven't driven the red garage queen ('Eugene') since insightfest last year. I haven't driven the green/silver garage queen ('Sawbite')... ever... but that is going to change soon; 20.7 miles just isn't enough ;).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts