Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'd have to live in SoCal to have seen this one.......

Two friends have reported seeing on Old Topanga Road a sign that reads "Rememeber when your Hummer was cool?"

I've been thinking about a new custom license plate frame for some time now and this sign has ended my search. Nobody has ever gotten the "Look Ma no cords" frame on the car now anyway.

Be well, Aj

·
Registered
468 Posts
That would make a good one. :)

The only Hummer that ever was cool anyway was the original, and there aren't that many of those on the road. The H2 and H3's are just expensive wannabe's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't seen it, but its what I would expect from the "Land the Sixties Forgot"

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Devin the only Hummer that was even close to being cool was the orginal H1 type but only if you kept it at a farm or deer lease. They are simply too big to drive on the street. When I have seen them around here the drivers have a hard time keeping them in their lane because they are about as wide as the lane is. Has anyone seen a socker mom dropping the kids off anywhere ever in a H1.? I haven't I have never even seen a woman behind the wheel of one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
james said:
The Hummer never was cool. Not even the military version...
We have a difference of opinion. The H1 has a host of capabilities that make it as unique and interesting a vehicle as our Insights. Most relate to off-road performance however. I'd love to drive one for a day.

Quoting from http://www.autointell.com:
Where does one start in describing H1’s off-road superiority? How about its 16-inch vertical ground clearance—almost double that of any other 4x4. Let’s not overlook H1’s dramatic approach and departure angles of 72 degrees and 37.5 degrees, respectively, or the 17-inch aluminum wheels shod with 37-inch tires. You may never encounter it, but there’s a degree of comfort in knowing this vehicle can ford a 30-inch deep body of water.

Not to mention 440 lb.-ft. of torque at 1800 rpm. (Insert Tim Taylor grunt here) :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I pesonally agree that the H1 is pretty cool, but even if I could afford one (and the gas to keep it going) I don't know that I would actually buy one. Unless I had first bought 500 acres of mountanous timberland somewhere in the rockies that I needed to manage.

The thing to remember about the H1 is that it was primarily designed for military use, i.e. it is OVER-engineered for practically anything a private owner would throw at it. But that also means that it was designed to be maintained as a military fleet vehicle where servicing costs are kept low by using military mechanics! Imagine what a private owner would pay in maintenance costs for an H1 above and beyond the gas bill!

All that being said, the H2 is a joke, built on a bastardized Yukon chassis and boasting NO improvement in offroad capability over the Yukon, while inflating the price by $20,000US.

I must admit though that I am marginally interested in the H3. I have had a '94 4runner for some time and I really like having a mid-size SUV, but I imagine that when I get a good look at an H3 I will still find it too large for my tastes. If they ever build an H4 (maybe slightly larger than a Jeep Cherokee? hybrid?) I might be interested...

But, don't get me wrong, I hope to never have an SUV as a 'daily driver' again.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"The H1 has a host of capabilities that make it as unique and interesting a vehicle as our Insights."

Yeah, right. Like the considerable logistics train needed to support just the fuel needs. Like its unparalleled ability to get stuck in narrow village streets. Like not having anything in the way of armor...

"I have never even seen a woman behind the wheel of one..."

My neighbor (inherited money) up the road has two. As I've sometimes remarked, it's his poor wife I feel sorry for :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
As far as modern military light infantry vehicles go, the H1 actually gets rather good gas milage! When you consider the fact that most modern militaries now almost exclusively use light armored APCs of some kind rather than jeep/truck type vehicles.

But I won't argue about the lack of armor, the inital versions of H1 military vehicles were sorely deficient in that regard. The vast majority of H1's currently in service have been retrofitted with some kind of light armor but AM-General really dropped the ball not including some kind of standard armor availabilty with the original military production model.

I also won't argue with you about the H1 probably being a terrible 'daily driver'. in the realm of privately owned vehicles it is about the worst choice possible unless you are TRYING to spend as much money as as you can.

Essentially all I am trying to say is this: As a military vehicle with all the military support entailed in using an H1 as such, it is/was actually a VERY good investment for the US military and most other militaries that use it (although it has a few obvious deficiencies=armor), but for the role that it was initially designed for it performs extremely well.
As a privately owned vehicle it should only be for those who TRULY need something with its capabilites (which would be EXTREMELY few), while in fact it has become a status symbol for those who have more money than brains. In my opinion the average H1 owner is probably stupid for buying one, even more so if they use it as a 'daily driver'. But you must remember that when it was first designed the private owner was not a consideration. Don't blame AM-Gereral for building it, blame the suburban jackass who thinks he can justify owning it when he will probably never even take it off-road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
H1 on biodiesel

There are MANY things about the H1 that are cool. Its quite a rare vehicle, and like the insight its purpose built. Its just not built for the same purpose! Its not a wanna be or pretender like the h2 or many other SUV's. Its capable of doing things offroad that destroy almost all traditional SUVs. Its a gas sucker, but it was never designed to be put in the hands of everyone like the traditional SUV.

I would LOVE to have one, but like many other things I really dont NEED it. One nice trick, an H1 with a diesel engine could run on biodiesel of course. Sounds at least interesting!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"As far as modern military light infantry vehicles go, the H1 actually gets rather good gas milage!"

Which is a problem with modern military thinking :) Which indeed reflects a problem in societal thinking: the idea that resources are cheap, and provided through a process akin to magic. But wars are won & lost on logistics, and a logistics train grows geometrically. If you need to provide the fuel, say, of a force of size X, you also need to provide a supply line to deliver that fuel. And now you need another force to protect that supply line, and you need to supply THAT force...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think if the military can manage to keep their M1 tanks supplied with gas, then they can manage to keep the Hummers supplied as well.

Or am I missing your point?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Forgive me, I don't mean to be rude or provoke you, but I still don't see your point. Unless you are just arguing that the Hummer is completely useless as a military vehicle? (I'm pretty sure that's not what you are saying)

You have no argument from me about the H1 being an almost completely frivilous thing for a private citizen to own. Or that it is practically an icon of inefficieny as a private vehicle.

But pretty much any military combat vehicle would be completely frivilous for a private citizen to own! Thats just the nature of war, you HAVE to over-engineer everything because you never know what will happen!

I'm all for a more efficient military, I have heard about research into multi-wheel APCs that would be able to nearly double the gas milage of standard steel track APCs without lessening mobility or safety. Go for it! But that new APC would STILL be getting worse mpg than an H1.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Hummer

The Insight related idea that got a little lost is that people buy SUVs and Hummers and Such and use lots of justifications to cover up as best they can the fact that they DO NOT NEED THEM and the ARE Excessive and it is far more than they need or will ever need or use.

There are about 1% of SUV and Hummer owners that have a good reason to have those vehicles... and all SUV and Hummer Drivers want to squeeze into that 1% themselves... They lie about thier uses to others and themselves... and even if they do have a SUV or Hummer need why then don't they have the Hybrid SUVs or the Hydrogen Powered Hummers like some people have done... if it is a $ question then what was that dollar amount ?? or did they even bother to check??? If that is $5,000 then $5,000 is more important to them then the environment.... but often times the Hybird SUV is cheeper than the Hummer Cheeper than allot of other SUVs... Cheeper than sport cars... Cheeper than luxery cars.... so it isn't about $ at all becuase they pay more to get lower MPG... which means that MPG and the environmental health mean very very little to them.... and was not likely a deciding factor in thier purchace of a Hummer or SUV.... Maybe they didn't even look at the MPG Numbers.... It looksed cool and manly so they bought it.... Even Park Rangers spend over 90% of thier time on roads even if dirt ones that my Insight has no problems going on... Most mowed grass and simular areas the Insight also has no problems with... so how many times is the SUV / Hummer NEEDED... and it is less than 1% by less than 1% of the polulation but that isn't the purchase numbers.... so people just dont' care that much about the environment... just that simple.... sad but that simple.

-----------

The Military Question I think I get and will try to explain to others.

I think the idea is that the Fuel and infrastructure costs to run Hummers and Tanks and other Gas Guzzlers is a very real Tactical concern...

A Hummer Gets what about 1/5th the Fuel Economy of the Insight... Which mean it will cost 5x as much to use Require 5x as much supply lines to the front in a war which means 5x as much strain on the supply lines back home.... and more military protection of those supply lines as they are more vulnerable means you have less military to go fight the war itself...

The Further you are away from the home supply the worse this gets...

Now this is NOT to say the Insight should ever be used as a Military Vehicle... Not built for it and has virtually no off road abilities, armor , etc...

It is to say that the idea that in times of peace we can easily ship the tanker trucks of fuel to the front lines will mean nothing in a REAL WAR... No suppplies to the front line... how long can they continue???

This is a common issue to protect the supply lines in all of military history... One of the reasons our Nuclear Subs are concidered better than a liquid fuel version despite the massively larger expence is the supply issue... They have to come back for food before they have to come back for Fuel and they can stay under water for as long as they have fuel instead of limited time periods of a few hours at a time.

Air Craft Carriers have all switched to Nuclear power becuase of the costs and tactical issues that come from powering them with fossel fuels... which they were in the begining...

Of course not all vehicles can yet be switched off of fossel fuels and a Military Vehicle is not likely to get Cavillian MPG EVER ... but it does mean that those MPG Numbers of the Tanks and Jet Fighters are tactical concerns... and as technology gets better I expect that they will put more nuclear type power supplies into more Military Vehicles.... At Least Until Batteries can store more power than Liquid fuel can per volume and per pound... at that point they may switch over to electric and use a centrally located Power Generator to recharge them.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"What I am missing here is any "connection" to Insight or Insight related topics."

I think it is connected, by the often unconscious attitudes that go into people's vehicle building & buying decisions. Attitudes like "fuel is cheap & readily available", "size means status & power", etc. If we want to understand why so many people dislike the Insight and other similar-sized cars, we need to understand those attitudes.

So the military equipment purchaser sees that for instance a mil-spec Hummer is big, looks tough, and can traverse all sorts of rough terrain, and overlooks the support issues, or the need to traverse narrow village streets. The civilian buys a Hummer because it projects power & promises security. Or he buys a Ford F-350 to occasionally haul a couple of 2x4s from Home Depot, because the front end looks like a big penis :) (I think it's the Ford, anyway: I don't pay that much attention, but I have to laugh sometimes, especially at the ones with the plastic testicles hanging from the rear bumper.)

Some people might say that it's not our concern, but don't we wind up paying for the cost? If a war costs more, in money and lives, because these attitidues led to a less-than-optimal choice of vehicle, who pays? If parking spaces have to be made 20% wider to accomodate oversized vehicles, aren't we affected?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts