Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___I did a search on nap as well as sleep and didn’t come across an answer for this question.

___Sometimes after a night shift, I will pull into an Oasis, recline the seat back, and take an hour + nap in the Corolla. Not only am I in much better shape to drive after the short rest, traffic has usually fallen away to post rush hour flows (60 + mph as far as the eye can see ;)). Has anyone that owns one ever taken a nap in his or hers and more importantly, is the seat comfortable enough for this?

___Just 36,329 questions to go ...

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:32l714di][email protected][/email:32l714di]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If your not too tall you might be able to take the passenger seat out and shove your head up underneath the glove box and curl yourself up some. Maybe, I dunno, I can't sleep sitting up.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You have to pad the emergency break lever and sleep in a fetal position. Elevating one chair with pillows helps.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I often drive on very long trips. I have slept in my Insight overnight about 20 times now. I have tried 3 locations; in the drivers seat, in the back, and on the floor when the passengers seat is removed. In my judgement the best way is to travel with only one seat in the car, and at a freeway rest stop put a pillow on the floor way up under the glove box. Then make sure to have a blanket or cushions on the structural rib that goes across the floor, and just lay down. You can put your legs & feet up on the cargo area, or over on the drivers seat. It is really quite comfortable, and I often sleep for 6 or 7 hours. It just takes a little "arranging" but it can be done. Billy.......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All:

___Thanks for the tips!

___I will be staying here at work after my shift is over in the morning and then doing a double starting in the afternoon. In other words, I will be doing a 6 to 7 hour nap in the Corolla in the morning and although it is not nearly as comfortable as being at home in bed, I have learned to survive.

___And with that, another question? How hard is it to remove the passenger seat? Can it be removed on the road with a socket set and then laid flat and stowed in the hatch area when I need to stay at work?

___I know most have never had to do this or would consider it but Billy, I am glad to hear you have and that it is reasonably comfortable.

___Thanks again.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:34sy33em][email protected][/email:34sy33em]

·
Registered
569 Posts
xcel said:
Has anyone that owns one ever taken a nap in his or hers and more importantly, is the seat comfortable enough for this?
I drive 51 to 75 miles to work, depending on which way I go. If I get there early, I will sometimes try to nap, but the seat doesn't recline enough for me to get comfortable enough to sleep. I have however napped a couple of times while driving, only for a second or two though! Constantly keeping an eye on the MPG helps keep me awake.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The passenger seat is easy to remove, AFTER you have done it the first time. But it is simply too big to store back in the cargo area. If you remove it, leave it at home. Anyway, the factory uses a very strong red lock-tight on the bolt threads (the 2 rear ones). You need to carefully, and with much strength, remove the bolts with a 12mm socket, 6 sided if possible. The front 2 bolts are not as tight. Then, use a 14mm socket on the seat belt attach point, and make note of the proper sequence of all the washers and the spacer. Billy.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Aaron:

___No can do at either the nuclear plant nor at an Oasis. Here in Chicago, it would be a no no no matter where you were at ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1g67z1qz][email protected][/email:1g67z1qz]

·
Registered
43 Posts
xcel said:
Hi All:

___Sometimes after a night shift, I will pull into an Oasis, recline the seat back, and take an hour + nap in the Corolla. Not only am I in much better shape to drive after the short rest, traffic has usually fallen away to post rush hour flows (60 + mph as far as the eye can see ;)). Has anyone that owns one ever taken a nap in his or hers and more importantly, is the seat comfortable enough for this?
Wayne;
After a one-way rental car to Clearwater FL to pick up my Insight, I had planned to get a hotel room that night and finish the trip back the next day. The Daytona 500 was going on and there was no hotel for hundreds of miles, literally. I drove clear to Savannah, GA looking for a room with no success.

We (son went with) were getting extremely tired and I was starting to worry about the fatigue. Still had 350 miles to go and at 3am I was starting to fade bad. We decided to pull over into the parking lot of a Waffle House and sleep for a couple hours in the newly-purchased Insight.

I sacked out fairly well with my head on the door at the window. Son "managed" for about an hour or two but ended up very frustrated. His flinging around eventually woke me up about the time the sky was getting light.

The right pillow would have made all the difference. A big one (width/height) that can be stuffed between the door and seat big enough to still provide a spot to rest the head.

Reclining the seats is a no-go, there's not very far back you can go with that. That was the most difficult part of the whole thing. I whined for the hybrid Civic with it's fully reclining front seats.

We thought about the back deck but that was a no-go: both of us are over 6' tall. You'd have to be a toddler to fit back there. The only real problem was that the car got very stuffy, quickly. We had to slightly crack the windows to let fresh air in.

I dearly love my Insight, but sleeping is one thing it does very badly. I dreamed about one of those "hatch tents" like they sell for the jeeps, but we had the problem of risk and protection from hazardous people. A tent was right out. If sleeping is a big deal and it's something you might do every day in the car, I have to suggest the Honda Civic hybrid or Toyota Prius would do better.

JKB

·
Registered
40 Posts
realize this is a long-dead post, but i practically live in my car at this point in my life (recent college grad, not sure where i'll be teaching in the fall, considering jobs all over the country, living/working at summer camp with all my stuff ditched at my parents'. people ask where i'm from and at this point, i'm not sure...)

ANYWAY, i travel a lot, drive a lot, camp a lot, sleep in my car a lot. i'm only 5'2" (with shoes on!), so i can scooch the drivers seat up, recline it, crack the windows, lock the doors, hang on to my knife (open) and sleep pretty much anywhere without a problem. However, i'd like to be able to actually SLEEP and/or camp in the back (especially after spending a lot of time driving around/camping in my friend's vw vanagon) and am thinking about mods to make this possible for me and ... another person.

has anyone considered a way to "alter" (ie: break) how far the seat backs advance so they can bend all the way forward to the dash? then, a plywood "bed frame" of sorts could be fashioned to fit into the space created to lay across.

then the only problem would be the lip at the end of the flat hatch area that would end up in the middle of your back. ouch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sleeping

If you use a thin piece of paneling with spacers under neath, you will be able to span the hump. With both seats foward and bent,you put a brace in the brake tray and one in the cup holder and you will be able to fit between the seats.

In the 70's, I had a VW Thing. Lived in it while traveling. You have to learn to think outside of the box.

Garmet bags lay flat beneath the panel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks for the encouragement and good call about thinking outside the box: i had not thought of sleeping /between/ the seats. i am, however, looking for someone (or trying to find out if anyone has even tried it) who knows how to keep the seats all the way back, and alter the mechanism that allows them to bend forward so that they can bend all the way forward to the dash.

what do you guys think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts