Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every body. This is my first post on this forum. I was wondering if any one on here who owns an insight lives in or near Adelaide. If so, I would love to come and check your car out. Im thinking of buying one and I'd like to actually see one in the flesh before I go out and get one. Im only 21 but I am fascinated by all hybrid/electric technology.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Luke - I assume you mean Adelaide SA right?

I do not know of any IC members from Adelaide. I know of two in Melbourne (of which I am one) and one in Queensland.

AFAIK there are only 46 Insights in Australia, so they are hard to spot. I do not know of any in Adelaide but I'm sure there will be some - they seem to be lightly sprinkled around Australia

I would not have any concerns about the Insight's "look" if I was you - they are petitely elegant or terminally cute depending on your point of view. If you are insterested in buying an Insight, your biggest problem is going to be finding one. There are two for sale in Queensland at the moment - both sellers are asking $18,000 which is too much.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I mean Adelaide SA. Im not worried about the look of the car, I would just like to go for a ride in one. I have been looking at the black insight that is for sale in Queensland and seriously thinking about making an offer. I was cotemplating offering $8,000, too low??? From reading whats been said on here, it has been for sale for quite a while. I may make an offer in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing. Are insurance and registration costs on these cheaper than a 2 litre 4 cylinder? If Im am going to get this car, I have to consider the costs of running 2 cars. Im only an apprentice.

Im looking at this car.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/HON ... 19183.aspx

Edit: Things keep popping into my head. Can anyone tell me what the name of the dealer the car is located at. Id like to contact them without using the crappy automated enquiry section of carsales.com.au and carpoint.com.au.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Luke - you will find more about this car and the name of the dealer by reading this thread (also more about prices)

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6667

In my opinion it is impossible to specify a proper value for Insights in Australia because there is so few of them and so few sales. If you want one and find the one you want it is near impossible to buy elsewhere if the price is to high. The market price for an Insight is whatever someone is prepared to pay that is high enough for the seller to sell.

I doubt that an Insight can be bought in Australia for $8,000 - although Omnipotent says he did so maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying he did or he didn't - but if he did, best of luck to him because he got a very good price in my opinion.

Make your offer and see what happens - if they don't say yes they can only say no.

Shop around for insurance, I found a big difference between insurers (again - very small volume car means hard to get proper idea of risk). I can't speak for SA registration - it is a standard fee in Victoria.

My advice is sell the 2 litre 4 cylinder and buy an Insight - you'll never look back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would sell my car in an instant and get the insight if it were a normal car. But Ive spent 15K modifying it and I don't want to loose all that I put into it. It's an Imported Nissan Bluebird Attesa (AWD SR20DET), a fairly rare car in its own right but ive modified it to produce almost 400hp. I feel bad everytime I drive it knowing how much fuel it uses, yet I still drive it like its stolen. :oops:

I really love powerful cars, but it's been done. It's always gets to me when people argue about which is better, a big V8 or a smaller turbo engine. In my opinion they are both rubbish. I went for a turbo car because to me they are slightly more refined, more technology in them. If I could have the perfect car, it would be a AWD hybrid with 4 fairly powerful wheel motors. Some sort of small ICE providing power, like a 250CC turbo, and a battery/supercacitor system to allow for bigish amounts of stored power.

Which is why I want an insight. Im tired of ruining the planet with my bluebird. But I still need to keep it and only drive it occasionally. Im really just deciding now whether or not to go into debt again for a car I don't really need.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Luke - interesting dilemma/problem........(thinks)...... It seems to me you have moved on from powerful performance gas guzzlers but haven't quite got your head around giving up the dreams of boyhood.

Maybe you should drive your current car hard for a while until it gives you the s***ts so much that you can't stand it any more and then you will sell it and buy an Insight.

(I used to have a 911 Porsche with lowered final drive and lsd - felt like a scalded cat out of corners, although no doubt not a patch on your current chariot. Thought I'd never be without one 8 years ago but just laugh at it now. The Insight is so much more fun, safer and everything really - much more Zen.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ghillie said:
It seems to me you have moved on from powerful performance gas guzzlers but haven't quite got your head around giving up the dreams of boyhood.
You put it perfectly. It's good to see that you understand where I'm coming from, even if I am being a little childish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ghillie said:
I doubt that an Insight can be bought in Australia for $8,000 - although Omnipotent says he did so maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying he did or he didn't - but if he did, best of luck to him because he got a very good price in my opinion.

Make your offer and see what happens - if they don't say yes they can only say no.
G'Day fellas, It has been a while since I last visited this board (2004 was it Ghillie??). I had a hankering for the old times so I paid a visit today only to find this thread.

I'd buy one in an instant and sell my smart if I could find one for $8k. I think that the price for a 2001 Insight should be around the $13k mark or a bit less nowadays given that it would be a 7 yr old car. Having said that if that black one only has 26k kms on the odo it may have a higher asking price. If it were me driving it it would have 120k on the odo already.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
gonnamissit - well maaaaaaaaate - how's the Smart going? - roadster isn't it?

I reckon your price estimate is about spot on. I would wish it was more if I was selling but I'm not so who cares? In fact I'm still tempted to buy the black Insight myself - tuck it away and bring it out for Peak Oil.

Just revalue your Sydney property portfolio, buy an Insight and keep the Smart :lol:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
gonnamissit - BTW - the black Insight has 36k km's on the odo not 26k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ghillie said:
gonnamissit - well maaaaaaaaate - how's the Smart going? - roadster isn't it?

Just revalue your Sydney property portfolio, buy an Insight and keep the Smart :lol:
Yep, it is a roadster 2004 model and 800kms short of 50k kms. It is going well. With some rattles but that is the nature of convertibles.

I like the way you think. Except I got no property portfolio :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts