Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to balance my battery as routine maintenance. if anyone is in the Metro area and has a good charger that I can balance my battery with, that would be great. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
I would like to balance my battery as routine maintenance. if anyone is in the Metro area and has a good charger that I can balance my battery with, that would be great. Thanks.
Except for the high end Genesis(now out of production) and the very similar HybridRevolt, most all of the other chargers are permanently installed and require some effort to do a car changeover. Even the high end chargers require a harness be installed.

If you want to grid charge routinely, say once/month, you would do well to have your own. You can build one for very little money. Use the google search function, within the search button above, to research diy ways and sources.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be the ideal..but

I'm looking for a one time charge to balance the cells that might be unevenly charged or charging. I'm hoping someone has a charger that could do this. I'm no expert in these things.I don't mind driving a ways to get this done. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
I'm looking for a one time charge to balance the cells that might be unevenly charged or charging. I'm hoping someone has a charger that could do this. I'm no expert in these things.I don't mind driving a ways to get this done. Thanks
I have done this for friends here in Richmond and I don't think you are understanding the complexities involved. First, the best balancing results are achieved by the top end chargers/dischargers that I mentioned. By both saturation charging and deep discharging they achieve both top and bottom balancing. Though Jeff652 of Hybrid Automotive is working on a discharger, he has not yet marketed it afaik. Second, every grid charger is either hard wired into the owners car, or it relies on some sort of battery harness, usually permanently installed, for the charger hookup. You don't have a harness.

The only exception to this situation is the few owners and mechanics who have set up temporary harnesses so that they can service multiple cars. I have a temporary Genesis harness that I hook up to service the cars of local friends. There are a few other such private owners, but you will have to work hard to find them.

Professional Hybrid shops and battery shops are sometimes set up to grid cycle batteries, if they believe the practice is helpful - not all do. I don't know of any such shops in Minneapolis. There is such a shop in Madison, WS.

As I indicated above, balancing is very time consuming. A simple saturation grid charging takes 14-16 hours. A full 3 cycle charge/discharge routine with top end equipment takes around 3 days.

I personally believe that your best bet is to buy the Hybrid Automotive discharger ready charger at $329. If you type in the name and search on Jeff652 you will gain access. Jeff's charger does not currently include discharge capability, but it is discharge ready, and he is working on that part. The only high end charger/discharge currently available is offered by HybridRevolt and costs more than a thousand dollars complete.

I'm sorry that it isn't easier, but it is what it is. If you plan to keep the car then Jeff's moderately priced charger is a good investment. There are some Genesis chargers in the Minneapolis area, but they are in private hands and the owner do not have flexible hookup methods afaik:(

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I'm looking for a one time charge to balance the cells that might be unevenly charged or charging. I'm hoping someone has a charger that could do this.
As was already mentioned, charging an Insight battery pack isn't like charging a 12 v. battery. Charging the battery pack requires the installation of a charging harness for the charger to connect to and to run the battery pack cooling fan during charging. A charger owner would not typically have a spare harness that you could use, and removing the harness from his battery pack so that it could be installed on your battery pack is not a trivial exercise and certainly nothing that you should reasonably expect.

Your best solution is to build or buy your own charger and charger harness. The battery packs of every Insight needs to be balance-charged periodically to extend the life of its battery pack. So building or buying your own would not be a waste of money. Just do it…

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Matt at HybridReVolt builds / sells very nice units considered 'smart' chargers, and Jeff (Jeff652) at Hybridautomotive builds / sells very nice units considered 'dumb' chargers. The 'smart' one has lots of features, is extremely versatile and costs a good bit, the 'dumb' one is very simple, reliable, and costs less.

Both are good folk with good products.

·
vote 4 mawah
295 Posts
Also the smart one is harder to learn howto use correctly.
It took me at least 3 or 4 cycles before I even started understanding the variables involved for just setting up the charger, much less what to look for during cycling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I let the car sit for 10 days and now the ima light is on. Almost sure batt. needs rebalancing. Its 10 years old and 3mos. out of warranty. (06) Even if I got a grid charger, Im wondering how long this tired battery would last? Anyone sell new batteries in minneapolis, or know of a hybrid shop that can help diagnose and fix? Would forcing a recal be a good first thing to try? I will prob take it to dealership to get codes read and see if they would replace battery (if needed) .thanks again.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Give me a call and let's talk through your options. I can help you out.

Even if you use a a grid charger for a short time, it can certainly be removed and moved to a new car later.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks everyone. I let the car sit for 10 days and now the ima light is on. Almost sure batt. needs rebalancing. Its 10 years old and 3mos. out of warranty. (06) Even if I got a grid charger, Im wondering how long this tired battery would last? Anyone sell new batteries in minneapolis, or know of a hybrid shop that can help diagnose and fix? Would forcing a recal be a good first thing to try? I will prob take it to dealership to get codes read and see if they would replace battery (if needed) .thanks again.
If it is only 3 months out of warranty, it might be worth it to try the dealer to see if they will work with you.

Barring that, forcing a recal would definitely buy you some time. Do you have only the IMA light? Or is the check engine light on as well? Have the codes read to be sure.

If it is just the IMA light, it is probably a P1447. At this point a grid charger would definitely be worth it to get. Over time, the P1447 will deteriorate into a P1449 and the battery will be more difficult to revive.

To give you some real world numbers, after my IMA light first came on, I drove my car for over 20K miles with a P1447 before it became a P1449. During this time period, I would do the forced recal each time the IMA light would come on and the car ran normally.

Eventually, though, the codes came faster and faster and I decided to invest in a grid charger. I think that if I had done so at the beginning, the battery would have lasted much longer. Even so, the grid charger bought me another 30K miles before the battery became so weak that I gave up (50-100 miles between codes).

If you decide to do the forced recal, I'd recommend doing it multiple times in a row. Eventually, the car will do a positive recal almost immediately after you start the car. Note the mileage and then track how long you go before the next IMA light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your thoughts. I had no idea you had up to another 30k left after the first code. I guess it would be worth it to get a grid charger. that would be 2 more years of driving for me.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
As mentioned above, you should contact your dealer as you may get a replacement battery since you are only 3 mo out of warranty. But you also will need a grid charger regardless of what you do.
Gerald

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts