Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I am expecting mine Jan 2006. Ordered it like an eon ago, lol. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
2 years ago when I was getting my viper VX790 installed (2 way remote alarm) I asked if they would put in the car starter option and they refused to on my 5 speed (something about liability) If you have a CVT it shouldnt be a problem

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAI remember reading her nobody has one. There is a difference since the IMA starter is used but I'd suspect that this remote system would be wired to the conventional starter anyways (or there is some workaround).

But what do you expect to gain from this add-on :?: A nice toasty warm car to hop in on a cold winter morning :?:

Wellll, maybe. Since the Insight is so fuel efficient there's not much as wasted heat. And a warm-up will _KILL_ your MPG. OK better than you or somebody else or your shivering so violently that you can't keep the car in your lane :p

But seriously while a pre-start warm-up will slightly help for interior warmth, don't have as high expectation as with other cars. Its been shown that when idling an Insight in sub freezing temps that its coolant temp never reaches "normal". Again because of its fuel efficiency and the small amount consumed at idle there's just too much lost under the hood for much to be left over, again _at IDLE_. One reason the auto stop is disabled by design in an Insight when the outside temps drop below 40F.

Unless you have to park on the street an engine block heater will give you (almost) the best of _both_ worlds. A Pre-warmed engine for better fuel effiicency and faster interior heat too, just not instant gratification.

So maybe you'll get some early warmth that your hoping for at an MPG loss that is acceptable to you or maybe you'll be disappointed with one or the other. Its your Insight and your choice. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
The remote start would still help with A/C during the summer :!:

And there is nothing quite a uselessly cool as being able to start your car when you are still 100ft away (best when done in front of a bunch of unsuspecting pedestrians!) :shock:

·
Registered
17 Posts
there should be nothing different between a remote start on the insight and any traditionally started car. the remote start is still only sending 12V to the ignition switch just like with any other application...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts