Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two and a half years and 46,500 miles I may be starting to have a CV boot problem. This first happened with my 1988 CRX HF at about that time, and 2-3 more times after that. My CRX lasted nearly 250,000 miles.

The CV boot is part of the drive train on the front-wheel drive. I started to notice some clicking when I make fairly tight turns in the parking lot. Ironically, I noticed this when a co-worker talked about her CV boot problems with her Civic.

Anyone else experience CV boot problems or know what causes it? I'm going to try to avoid sharp turns in hopes of getting a few extra miles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, I haven't had any problems with CV boots on my Insight (approaching 54,000 miles at this point), but I used to have bad problems on a Subaru I had in high school. Of course, then I was going around corners screeching wheels, etc., so that stands to reason. Just make sure you get the boot replaced before damage is done to the joint itself, because its way cheaper to replace a boot rather than the joint. Once the boot is unsealed, allowing dirt and grime into the boot and up into the joint, its only a matter of time until a more dire problem presents itself. Don't stretch it too long with the clicking and popping sound, or soon you'll hear more grinding sounds and not long after that will probably destroy the joint and end up on the side of the road. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
While dirt getting in is a problem, my understanding is that the first bad effect of a split boot is grease getting out. Bearings don't like to run dry. The boots hold the grease in around the joint.

Anyway, my 1992 Civic just got its boots replaced for the first time at about 200,000 miles, so I don't think this is endemic to Honda, and I doubt that turning corners is the problem. Perhaps there's something about your climate, or some other environmental problem (running over things that tear the boots?) or just really bad luck with buying specific cars with bad boots.

If you keep the boots intact, the CV joints are expected to last the life of the car. As stated, they are quite expensive. They cost several hundred dollars each, and there are four of them (two on each of the two front axles).

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seemed like I paid about $275 over ten years ago when my CRX had this problem. The mechanic echoed cheaper to fix now than later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts