Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has swapped in a modern push to start/ auto start system from a newer honda into their insight.

with winter here for a few months it's always on my mind every year.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are some kits out there that do push button start and remote start as well. It would be great to hear if someone has done it.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You mean the cheesy "push to start" button from ebay or a remote starter?

I do not see the point in the push to start unless you had a way to kill your engine and did not want to reboot everything.

I considered a remote starter alarm, but that was 250 and 500 bucks including installation and required you to use 2 key fobs.

An idea I had was to use the remote start upgrade from the Fit a few models ago that matched our cars. You had to buy the box, then new key fobs each 100 bucks a pop and then 100 bucks to get the honda dealer to program the whole works and hope the Fit remote starter box did not mind being in an insight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had went to an alarm dealer nearby and paid about $400 to get it installed, cleanly and all, it was a Viper remote start 2 way system, I am actually planning on installing a kit that does keyless entry and keyless start. I was thinking of installing this one

Welcome to Advanced Keys

Oh also, I can still use my regular keyfob, but the remote starter would have to be done with the second fob.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had went to an alarm dealer nearby and paid about $400 to get it installed, cleanly and all, it was a Viper remote start 2 way system, I am actually planning on installing a kit that does keyless entry and keyless start. I was thinking of installing this one

Welcome to Advanced Keys

Oh also, I can still use my regular keyfob, but the remote starter would have to be done with the second fob.
Those two way systems are nice i don't want to carry anything extra and then still have to also use my keys.

Almost would rather just have keyless and no auto start... but ideally both in one system.

so far i can't find anything that seems to be the solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those two way systems are nice i don't want to carry anything extra and then still have to also use my keys.

Almost would rather just have keyless and no auto start... but ideally both in one system.

so far i can't find anything that seems to be the solution.
I see, but another way you could get the two way remote start system and you would be able to start it with your phone. I am thinking about that, so I don't have to carry the extra remote, and still get notifications on your phone. But keyless probably won't be possible without that one system I linked. If I get it I would tell you all about it and put a tut here for everyone.

Oh, and also you would be needing this thing called dball2, it is a module that bypasses the immobilizer, but you still need the original key to start the car (normally). I think that would be one thing you would need along with the keyless start. Which still requires to be flashed to your specific car by an alarm dealer, maybe.

I'd have to research how it works before starting this kind of project.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I was reading more into it, would would have to bypass the steering lock, and transmission lock, which would take a lot of time and tearing the front end a little to get this system installed. Which is probably how cars with keyless start and entry are probably built.

-Edit

I read into the installation manual, for it, that you would have to have a cut key, at the base and just leave it in ac and just got from there, which actually bums me out. But still keyless nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
One alarm system I was looking at used a box you put an extra key in and they mount that under the dash some where so the car gets the signal to start. Others use a bypass some how that does not need an extra key.

The gen 1 forum had a hack or bypass to use junkyard ecus that disabled the chipped key feature to start, but you had an idiot light on 24/7 afterwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts