Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that what noise there is in the Insight could be lessened by applying Dynamat Xtreme to the floorboard.

For anyone who has done this, were you satisfied with the results?

Did you encounter any specific problems?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't tried anything yet, but am considering it. Is there a site that compares the different sound proofing materials?

Gary

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very interested in this as well

There's this post from "Clayton Saffell" <[email protected]> on yahoo groups who tried Mr. Wayland's super shoebox, I'm next :) But he said it rattles the rear end a lot so he'd be looking into putting down dynamat. I'll email him to see if he succeeded and if he has any pictures.

"My next project is to squelch the plastic excitation so that I can further explore the potential of the SSS (I am going to install Dynamat Extreme in the whole car, I will post about that later)"

I'll need Dynamat also once I get the same SSS sub he's using so I'm interested in how he or anybody else did it. Posting something here so I get a email whenever somebody responds ;-)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah, I'm Clayton's partner in crime. I think the madness is gonna begin in about a week or two. Right now were possibly looking at an aircraft grade dynamat type material which is basically the same. Still gotta compare specs and price and all, but I'm really wanting to do this. The plan is to do his car first one weekend then mine the next.

Sit tight for now, we're gonna take before and after noise readings and of course take more pictures than you can imagine of a "naked insight" inside as everything is comming out accept the head liner and the dash. :twisted:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...

Yes, please do! I would really like to see your pictures and read your reactions before I attempt it.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you doing the headliner?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well we're not doing the headliner to start with at least. We decided that it probably isn't a huge source of noise. Most of it comes from the back where it's just straight plastic wells around the low rolling resistence tires. The sound resonates there quite a bit so that will be the area of emphesis. Also, we're gonna do the floor and all that as well. Most of all I think the concern is whether or not getting the headliner out and back together in one piece is the main potential problem. We can always go back later if necessary, but next time your going down the highway at 70mph listen, most of the noise comes from the back. In fact that wounderful dead space if unfilled pretty much becomes a resonating chamber as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I am the guy that Rick is talking about. I will hopefully acquire some insulation material this weekend and install it in the next couple weeks. I will post an update with before and after comparisions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as an effect on MPG... most likely none. I have determined that we will add about a maximum of 12 lbs to the car with the insulation that we have planned. Keep in mind that the material we are using is thin and lightweight while stopping a considerable amount of noise. Rick and I are meeting Sunday to get some "before" readings and plan our strategy for next weekend's install. Look for a post in the next couple weeks with photos and a report.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok for a little update, using my radio shack sound level meter we took our before road noise readings. On a fairly decent highway at 60 mph the thing is making 78Db of noise. Now thats according to my little sound level meter, car and driver I think said 75 Db at 70mph, but I was pointing it toward the back of the car where all the noise comes from. That's just border lined at the point where prolonged exposure can be damaging to your hearing. Notably also, at 60mph with the windows rolled down the noise level was only 85 Db. The car has no noise insulation at all. Geez... Anyway we wern't able to locate any aircraft insulation material so tomorrow we're ordering dynamat xtreme. The madness is scheduled to begin saturday tentatively. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update...

Close to hearing damage levels? It is so much quieter than my 280zx. I hate to think what riding around in it is doing to my hearing.

Also, I found the best deals on Dynamat Xtreme to be on eBay where you pay about $120 for 36 sq. ft. Just check the seller's feedback and try to order from someone out of state so you do not have to pay tax.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah that was the plan. A guy I bought my sub woofer from has it on there so likely we'll purchase it from them because last time their service was spectacular.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the limo option?

this is a midly wacky idea, y'all are just the group to run this by :wink: .

I store an increasing amount of guy junk in the back of the insight. i either need to stop doing this or somehow restrain the stuff. it's annoying that it slides all over, it would be downright dangerous in an accident where my head would become part of my junk's airbag.

So my idea is to kill two birds with one stone, the junk saftety restraining saftey issue and the noise problem. how about putting up a clear plastic soundwall, sort of like the window between a limo driver and the passenger, or, more cheesy image, like in a NYC cab?

even if the plastic barrier had some air passages for ventalation to the back, it would still cut a lot of noise from back there and, if somehow anchored, act as a reasonably effective restraint.

anyone tried this? :?:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Perhaps, but the first thing in my mind that would make that not work is it would look ugly and kill a lot of functionality. B, my dog goes back there occasionally and would freak out if she couldn't get to me. C, it wouldn't take care of the road noise comming from the front tires. When I put anything back there it goes under the cargo net which I'm hoping would hold anything down in the event of a crash.

Anyway, now it's looking like we're going to go with brown bread instead of dynamat. It's basically the same exact type of material, accept it's cheaper (by about half) and actually has better sound deadening characteristics than dynamat xtreme.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ricky,

I recall looking at the brownbread site after someone posted it on the yahoo group. I think we read the same review. Anyway if I recall correctly either material listed its peak frequency range absorbtion which falls off as the frequency changes. In your db level measurements were you able to see the frequency range of the noise. My point is if the peak of the noise is outside the peak of the sound absorber then its effectiveness is reduced. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That is a good point Rick. I do not have any way to measure the frequency, just my radio shack sound level meter.

Anyway, at the moment we're back to the drawing board. One issue that kind of stopped both of us from ordering anything was removability. I'm thinking the dynamat type material is going to be a permanent installation and would be very difficult to remove. Our concern is what if something in the do not open box goes and they claim that the insulation caused too much heat (not like letting the car bake to about 170 degrees inside durring the summers wouldn't do it on it's own anyways). It's kind of back to the drawing board at the moment, but I really want to do something along the lines of noise insulation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rick said:
That is a good point Rick. I do not have any way to measure the frequency, just my radio shack sound level meter.

Anyway, at the moment we're back to the drawing board. One issue that kind of stopped both of us from ordering anything was removability. I'm thinking the dynamat type material is going to be a permanent installation and would be very difficult to remove. Our concern is what if something in the do not open box goes and they claim that the insulation caused too much heat (not like letting the car bake to about 170 degrees inside durring the summers wouldn't do it on it's own anyways). It's kind of back to the drawing board at the moment, but I really want to do something along the lines of noise insulation.
i was thinking the EXACT same thing last night

what if you cut the mat to go around the box?
the box has enough stuff in it that i assume it wouldn't make too much noise uncovered

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Allnighte said:

the box has enough stuff in it that i assume it wouldn't make too much noise uncovered
Yeah, we think the box does actually supress some some noise with all the stff thats in it. Clayton's thoughts were to make any modification completely reversible and I'm starting to think along those lines now too. Reguardless, I have spring break here next week so if I do anything it needs to be this comming week because I'll have lots of time to do it in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rick said:
Allnighte said:

Yeah, we think the box does actually supress some some noise with all the stff thats in it. Clayton's thoughts were to make any modification completely reversible and I'm starting to think along those lines now too. Reguardless, I have spring break here next week so if I do anything it needs to be this comming week because I'll have lots of time to do it in.
just make sure you take LOTS of pictures :D:D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts