Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was cleaning up some stuff and ran into a box of parts to build the old-school Mike D. grid charger. Anyone interested in this? It'd make a nice little project for someone interested in dabbling with electronics and needing a grid charger...

-There's 3 MeanWell 48V power supplies, a 48V LED power supply, and a 12V supply for the pack fan.
-A stock connector for the stock pack fan.
-Most of the pieces to build the harness and such, diode, fuse holder, fuse, a couple different harness connectors, a piggy back spade connector to attach to the + pack point, etc.
-gutted PC power supply case with switch and case fan
-print-out of the charger schematics

There might be a couple pieces missing, like a slow blow fuse [I found a slow blow and added it, I added an LED too but not sure it's the right size, etc.] and some wire.

Let me know. I don't exactly want to give it away, but I'll let it go for cheap + shipping.

Here's an image of the stuff:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would PM but I'm new. I'm about to pick up a G1 which I'm told has a bad battery so I have a sudden interest in grid chargers.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ IF you only have an interest in a working charger, you might be better off buying one of the off-the-shelf pre-built ones, such as from hybridautomotive, or a single LED power supply + 12V supply + electronic bits (cord/wire, terminals, fuse, etc.) to build your own. The older grid charger design used 3 48V power supplies + another 48V LED supply to meet the high output voltage; these days they sell single LED power supplies at high enough voltage...

If you also have some interest in tinkering and building, electronics, etc. then my stuff might be good for you... I guess 3 'extra' power supplies isn't that big a difference, so it still might be fine. Let me know. One other person has expressed interest via pm, so I'd give that person priority, haven't heard back yet...

·
Registered
28 Posts
yea, still weighing options. I'm cheap and love projects but also have too many in progress so go ahead and give it to the other guy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was cleaning up some stuff and ran into a box of parts to build the old-school Mike D. grid charger. Anyone interested in this? It'd make a nice little project for someone interested in dabbling with electronics and needing a grid charger...

-There's 3 MeanWell 48V power supplies, a 48V LED power supply, and a 12V supply for the pack fan.
-A stock connector for the stock pack fan.
-Most of the pieces to build the harness and such, diode, fuse holder, fuse, a couple different harness connectors, a piggy back spade connector to attach to the + pack point, etc.
-gutted PC power supply case with switch and case fan
-print-out of the charger schematics

There might be a couple pieces missing, like a slow blow fuse [I found a slow blow and added it, I added an LED too but not sure it's the right size, etc.] and some wire.

Let me know. I don't exactly want to give it away, but I'll let it go for cheap + shipping.

Here's an image of the stuff:
View attachment 91355
Let me know how much you want and how much to ship to Kenoa Ontario. I want to buy it. Also do you know a good honda dealer to buy transmission gears from? My local dealer has jerked me around for 2 years now.

Paul Kainer

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ I checked shipping via USPS and UPS. USPS is ~$44.50, UPS is ~$48 (to "Kenora, ON," UPS didn't list anything for "Kenoa")... I think you need to send me a PM to deal with the rest, per forum rules...

On transmission parts, you might want to try Majestic Honda in Rhode Island, they usually have a lot of parts and are generally the cheapest, but not sure they ship international. Or maybe contact one of the forum members, KLR3CYL / Scott, who does a lot of transmission rebuilds and might either know where to get parts or have them to sell.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bumping this post, I still have this available. The two people interested seem to have dropped off the planet...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like yo send you money to buy charger but I need your information and total to send e transfer.
I realize you are probably busy please reply when you can

Paul Kainer

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ I already sold it... When I didn't get a response to my last post and as I recall a PM, I went ahead and sold it to someone else. Sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts