Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning...so this is not an official for sale post but I think Im ready to try something new with my headlights. So might anyone be interested in either buying outright or trading oe headlights plus some additional for OE retrofitted headlights? I can post some new pics of the headlights later tonight...they have been painted...by a body shop...crystal black pearl inside.

Also the cutoff being flared to the right has also been modified (as seen in the link)...an RX shield has replaced the ES shield so it looks like below now...

like this...

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/25843-rx330-non-afs-projector-retrofit.html

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Im happy with the light output and beam pattern.I just wished I had amber angel eyes or an amber strip of leds like some of the higher end or riced out vehicles. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im happy with the light output and beam pattern.I just wished I had amber angel eyes or an amber strip of leds like some of the higher end or riced out vehicles. :D
Ill admit the light output is better than most halogen projectors with HID bulbs in them. But what is surprising to me is the number of burned/peeling bowls I have come across as of late. I picked up a headlight...from an 11 Insight...and when I opened it and took a look at the top of the bowl the shiny deposited coating was a bubbled up and falling off. With a light swipe of my finger it all turned to dust. So enjoy the output while it lasts! Right now out of the 6.5 pairs of lights I have taken apart with these identical halogen projectors Im seeing at the least a 60% coating failure rate. That's high!!

Im thinking what Ill do is put back the halogen projectors...swap out the insides...sell on ebay for 300+ and nab a new set of lights and start something new. If I play my cards right I should be able to sell all that I have and get something new for $0.00 and Ill have an even better bi-xenon headlights.

Headlights are the one hobby that if you play your cards right...nab the right deals...you can perpetuate the hobby for effectively no money out of pocket...that is if I dont consider paying myself!

Im thinking these headlights...and swap out the projectors and put in place custom Maxima/MDX/RX330/RX8 projectors. If not Ill get a set of TYC headlights and maybe do a quad retrofit...4 lows and 2 high.

Depo 2010 2011 2012 Honda Insight Black D2S Projector White LED DRL Headlights | eBay

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ill re-review what you say and see if mines is effected.

I will admit my drivers side the plastic above the projector lense looks scratched if I go a few weeks without a car wash. I thought maybe someone backed into me. I got a 3 dollar car wash and it cleared right up. :confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here...pic below shows what Im talking about. This is from my 09 Mazda6... had good quality...not DDM... hid bulbs in these projectors and this was the result after 3 months. You can see the haziness and the flaky area with black underneath. This is what you get when you use HID bulbs in halogen projectors. However sometimes everything works out but other times you get the result of what is in the picture. I noticed it as the output was just slightly dimmer than the other headlight...

·
Registered
46 Posts
how much are you asking? i was thinking of doing this with some morimoto minis

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wow..... You never hear about that.

I wouldnt mind projects and hids on y sidekick. Ive tried the bulb conversion in the oem head lamp, but its one big flood light. Iwas considering some small hid projectors to use for low beams and put some led bulbs in the oem head lamps.

Dont think they make projector lamps for my vehicle?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much are you asking? i was thinking of doing this with some morimoto minis
Ive had every iteration of the minis and they arent too bad but they are inconsistent in quality. But fitting the minis in these lights would be challenging because they are a bit small and mounting them would require some custom brackets for sure. But when you figure in how much they cost it really makes sense to just find OEM projectors. Ive had...since starting this hobby (not exclusive to the Insight)...mini H1/D2S (versions 3,4,5), e46, e55, e60, fxr (1.0,1.1,2.0), G35/37, late Murano, RX330 non afs, Maxima, RX8, ES350 afs and Im sure I forgot one or two. RX afs and non afs (RX, Maxima, RX8, MDX) are my most favorite.

The total cost to put these lights together are...

ES350 afs projectors...100
TSX-R clear lense...40
RX330 afs shields...10
crystal black pearl paint job...80

So parts alone were 230.

If I were to sell the lights outright it would be for the ebay cost of two used headlights (avg 150 each) plus parts. So 530.00. If I did a swap I would subtract the cost of the headlights...so 230 (shipping to and from not included)

And a pic of the pieces that have been painted...looks very much like an Acura from the front now...which is "sweet"!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh forgot to note...to make them actually work you would need D2S bulbs...and ballasts. I for the longest time used Hylux ballasts and Koito bulbs. But my next set of lights I am using Matsushita ballasts and either the Koito bulbs or Philips 85122s...have a lot of stuff laying around to chose from.

COBB...about your other ride...this is my second car with OEM projectors. So fitting hid projectors in reflector headlights is just a bit more cutting and modifying... example below. These were TYC reflector headlights modded with E60 projectors. They were chrome and boring before I started...

how they mount...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update to sale.

If anything what I really want is to swap the insides of the headlight...from black back to oem. This cost me $80.00 as its was painted with urethane. The factory projectors (H11) can be left in place too so your halogen or pnp hid kit can remain as is. All I would ask is for shipping to be paid both ways and $40.00. So $40.00 for OEM headlights with just the black part swapped out.

So for the cost of shipping to me and back (if its $25 one way...the total cost would be $50) plus $40.00 you can have a set of headlights that look like this...

If you want me to add halos to sweeten the deal I can include those as well for just the cost in parts (see above post for recommended ones).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Im interested, but I kind of need my lights to drive to work every day. :confused:

Im thinking of buying a pair to send to you to get modded. Then when you send them to me, I swap them and sell you the old ones. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts