Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to dealer A and test drove an 05 CVT insight. That was my first time driving an insight. It was what I expected. I thought the auto stop was really cool.

The salesman first told me they can't order any they just get what they get.
He later told me a $1000.00 non-refundable deposit was required to order one and when it comes in it comes in.

At dealer B the salesman told me that I needed to pay in full and they would order me one and it would arrive in Fed. 2006. So I laughed at him and asked what bank would finance a car that doesn't exsist? He said none.
It was obvious dealer B didn't want to deal with me and my insight.

Does anyone know what the ordering process really is?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I talked to my nearest dealer in Nebraska about ordering a 2006 w/manual and a/c (which requires auto air control, too), he had to do a little research since the dealership had not had one on the lot since 2000. After discussing with the regional manager, the dealership procedure is:
- decide which model, color etc
- dealership fills out order form and mails it to me (prospective buyer)
- I sign the order form and send it to the regional manager
- I wait until Jan or Feb 2006 for delivery
- price about $21500 without shipping, tags, sales tax, etc
- no separate surcharge involved
- payment due on delivery.
So, it appears from other postings that the ordering process differs from dealer to dealer, and probably changes as the market changes.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Reads to me to simply be variations in dealer business practices.

The "wait" is due to the fact that the Insight is manufactured in production "runs". Your "ordered" Insight isn't even in existance :!: (yet) Regoinal sales manager involvment is pretty much standard for an in the future order.

Price should still be negotiable. :!: But you'll likely have to "shop" another dealer. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I may have posted to this type of question before, so pardon me if I'm being redundant. I finally settled for a used '04, which I am very pleased with. I first tried the closest dealer, which here in the Southwest is 60 miles away. I got an automated response, and no followup to my reply. I then tried 2 dealers in Denver and four in Phoenix. A guy from one of the Denver dealers called me immediately, but tried to move me to a Civic hybrid. He claimed they only got Insights when the Region office parsed out the few they received. I then started calling dealers all over the country offff Honda's dealer listings. None I contacted had any Insights in stock, and all described basically the same ordering prcess as the folks in Denver. Further, in no case would anyone give me a firm price.

These are very well made, durable little cars. A used one, if it's been well cared for is not likely to be a bad choice. There are a lot of ways to be sure you're not getting a refurbed wreck or other dog, so you can take some comfort.

The simple fact is that Honda has likely intentionally held down production & allocation of these cars because they're losing money on each one. It's basically an image & tecxhnology platform and as long as a few get sold Hionda can claim a lot of good PR.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I talked to a dealer here in KC about possibly finding a used one, and he said they could get me a new one within 3 months, only a deposit up front, and I could have it configured however I wanted (i.e. CVT/MT, A/C, CC, color, etc.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I was looking at buying a new (I bought used), I recieved pretty much the same treatment.

I went to the local honda dealer and I showed the salesdroid a hardcopy of some email from a dealer 300 miles away offering to sell me a on-the-lot new insight for about $2500 off list. He said he would match the price. He then said I would have to put down a non-refundable deposit. As for delivery time, he said they would search other dealers to see if a new car matching my specs exists, otherwise it would have to be ordered from japan. He would not be pinned down on a delivery time.

Why do they want a non-refundable deposit? Because, if you back out, they will own a car they'll have problems selling. An Insight on the lot attracts attention, not buyers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I ordered a 2006 about 6 weeks ago, maybe longer. Expected date, January 2006. I did not have to give a deposit, but at some point i need to give them a $250 refundable deposit. It was the dealer i bought my last civic from. They explained something about the Insights get allocated by region. Our region's allotment was not until Jan 06. The allotments, he told me, were determined by previous sales in the area. My dealer has sold a total of 3, ever. The only chance I could get one earlier is if someone else somewhere else ordered one, recieved it and did not buy it.

I WANT IT NOW!!!! Ack! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered one last night...

Thanks for all the replies.

I put down a deposit and if the car I ordered(5 speed/AC/blue) doesn't come in by the end of Feb. I can get my deposit back.

I'm paying $20780 plus taxes. Thats basically full retail but a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the USED ones at other dealerships.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
New for less than used! Sounds like a bargain to me. :D Considering the small numbers produced and the uniqueness of the Insight, I really wish I could afford to buy another one as an investment. :cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordering an Insight?

I just contacted my Honda dealer today. Now maybe we have an 'in' there - we've already bought two Honda Civic Hybrids. He said all he'd need is a credit card number and he'd order it - but we have to be sure we want it.

Now here's the thing - my husband isn't sure it'll have enough headroom. Anyone out there 6'2" driving one? Any problems fitting behind the wheel or bumping your head on the ceiling? It is hard buying one without test driving it first.

Our 2003 Civic was great, it was a stick, and I sold it to my son. Our 2005 is an automatic and I dislike its mileage compared to the stick. And I dislike automatics! I sure hope I can talk my husband into this!

Monette

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm 6'0" and I have a TON of headroom and I can actually roll the seat so far back that I can't touch the pedals! The leg room is even more generous for the passenger. The only issue is that the steering wheel doesn't tilt, not a big deal, its really not an issue for me when driving but someone who is a LOT taller or shorter than 6ft may want to adjust it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 6'5" and have sat in several now, don't yet own one. Enough headroom for me. Only thing I noticed was the inside rearview mirror was directly in my line of sight. I'll want to raise it to the top of the windshield when I finally purchase an Insight of my own.
___
Neil

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Insight gives me plenty of leg room and headroom and I'm 6'2", the height you asked about.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Buyer beware in '06

Last weeked I went to the International Autoshow since it was in town and noticed that the next-generation Civic comes with a next-generation price.

Also, much to my dismay, this newest Civic has the same problem as all earlier Civics: my knee bangs into the steering wheel, even at its highest setting, operating the pedals. I'm only 5'10"

I've had passengers up to 6'8" in my Insight seated comfortably. Keep in mind that as a two-seater, there's more cabin room.

Forget your dealership's whining. If you tell them firmly that they'll either sell you an Insight or no car at all, that should shut them up about the Civic. Not everyone needs the capacity to carry four people.

As for the Insight's rarity, I've never had a problem finding any accessory I want for it. The Internet's a powerful thing. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the height answers!

Thanks to the ones who've reassured me! But that darn guy of mine is still digging in his heels! What do you say to a guy who doesn't want to buy a car based on someone else's recommendation?

On my defense let me just say I've always had good car instincts, and he's always had to be 'pushed' in to the purchase. Never regretted one yet! I'll have to remind him of that.

It's so annoying that Honda dealers can't get their hands on one of these to help promote them. I remember seeing one on the lot back in - what year did they first come out? The back was full of batteries, no room for storage. And at that time it cost about $24,000. Was it '99 maybe? I've never seen one on the lot since.

By the way, Lawrence, I drive a 1991 Geo Metro - what's an EV? Did you manage to turn yours into an electric car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I drive a 1991 Geo Metro - what's an EV? Did you manage to turn yours into an electric car?
An EV is an electric vehicle. Yes, it's fully electric. Several years ago I was part of a project that converted several "modern" electric vehicles for government agencies, utilities, universities, etc. We only built one Metro, and the '93 was one that I built up as a personal vehicle and test bed for new batteries and equipment.

Shortly after the Metro was complete the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles wanted the car, and we sold it to them. A short while back the NCDMV was finished using the car for their purposes, and I was fortunate to be able to purchase the car back through their sealed bidding process.

The car is being rebuilt to be used for autoxing, and a higher voltage system is being installed to make it a little faster. Since you already own a Metro you're likely aware of how well it can be made to handle; and the electric motor gives it tremendous acceleration at low speeds, perfect for autoxing. (Autoxing, or autocrossing is a relatively low speed competition, often held in large parking lots or even race courses that let drivers pit their skills against one another at negotiating a tight sequence of turns and short straightaways) Some of the Insight drivers here are already competing in autoxing, and doing quite well.

Since you already appreciate your Geo Metro, I'm sure you and your husband will appreciate and enjoy the Insight. There are some automotive engineers that consider the Insight to be among the most techically sophisticated cars ever built. Afterall, where else can you get an all aluminum chassis, great aerodynamics, a lean burn engine, not to mention all of the hybrid system, all in one great little car. I hope getting an Insight soon goes very smoothly for you and your husband.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lawson - sorry

I called you Lawrence. That's what I get for reading too fast.

So how can I turn my Geo into an EV? (grin) Actually I'm lucky I can still get into it. The motor's in great shape but the body is falling apart. I love the car though, and will drive it as long as I can. Figure it could just last until I get my hands on an Insight!

Getting the husband closer, thanks to all these great comments. My husband was darn proud of our first Civic Hybrid and I'm using that, shamelessly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm interested! But it has to go through my dealer, Van's Honda, Green Bay, because we're trading in a 2005 Civic Hybrid. Does it have air? I don't want air.

Monette

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.