Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this thread on another site for my truck and to my surprise there were a lot of guys on the fence about buying one and talking about mine actually influenced a couple of people to buy it! So, about six months ago I was watching dashcam vids on Youtube and it dawned on me just how much the evidence of those videos has probably come into the defense of that driver where as if not, they would have been responsible for accidents. Also, just being able to record what's going on while your driving might also help others too depending on the situation. I have a one hour commute to and from work every day without traffic. So I'm in my car for at LEAST two hours a day. So I bit the bullet and bought my first dashcam and I couldn't be happier with it. I got it off of ebay. It's a Falcon F360. It clamps onto your existing rear view mirror and acts as rear view mirror except this has a built in screen that you can turn on. Pretty neat. It's a dual camera so I have one facing forward and one out my door and they swivel opposite one another a full 180 degrees. Has a long power cord that snaps under the paneling of your car so it can be concealed. Mine came with a 32gb micro SD card and holds I believe up to 10 hours of video. It does loop recording so it records over the oldest 15 minute segments after the card is full so you never have to mess with it. I believe my price was $130. 120 degree camera range and full HD. Let me know what you guys think, and if you have a different set then share that too!

BJ

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
A very good friend was using a dash cam when he was rear-ended by someone. After the investigating officer viewed his camera to verify my friend did not cause the accident by a sudden lane change, he went back and cited the guy who hit my friend. Valuable for the insurance claim.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A very good friend was using a dash cam when he was rear-ended by someone. After the investigating officer viewed his camera to verify my friend did not cause the accident by a sudden lane change, he went back and cited the guy who hit my friend. Valuable for the insurance claim.
Exactly, and that's basically it. For a pretty decent price you can get some peace of mind. Glad your friend had one!

BJ

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am about to install a ZeroEdge Z2 dash and backup camera on my G1. It is very similar to the one the OP describes. I will report with photos once the install has been completed.
I've wanted to do this for years and finally got around to it. I have a nasty commute and see a lot of accidents around me. It is only a matter of time before I'll need the footage for an insurance claim.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run a Novatek 96650 and love it. Haven't had to really use it yet to prove anything but just having it in the car gives me some peace of mind in case something happens. I'm planning on upgrading to a forward and rear facing system soon.

They're great for catching things like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-hrO2BCszQ

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm one of those guys you could say is on the fence. But really I'm about to jump off the fence, I just don't know which yard to jump into. There are so many dash cams out there and so many good and bad reviews of each. I think I was last leaning towards the Garmin Dash Cam 20. But I wouldn't mind the front and rear facing cameras.

Tim

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are many different dash cams at different price points using this chip, which brand/model do you have?
I'm unsure how to narrow it down for you since as you mentioned, that's not technically a model number. Mine is the one with the brushed blue aluminum face. Got it on eBay many moons ago. G1W I think....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here's my eBay special dash cam. When I bought it, the only colors available were gold and blue and the prices was a bit under $50. Now I see it in black and a lot cheaper. It's a fairly cheap cam, but the pluses are thin, low-profile design, aluminium shell, and 3" screen. It has 1080 hd quality, but when I viewed the videos on my computer screen it was had to make out plate numbers. The quality of the video and audio recording is fairly good though. For some reason I can't get the light to work for night driving. Maybe somewhere down the line I might get a real dash cam. This one for now works as intended. I've posted the cam on the G1 "what did you do to your insight" post. Here are a couple of pics installed.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts