Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got up to the 113mph Govenor?

I did about a week ago. (closed couse as always... 8) )

I took the pic just as I let off.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,877 Posts

So why doesn't your tach show any rpm?

Had mine up to 113 many times, tach will show rpm even when you "let off"..................

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I just checked a picture I took at 97 mph and the rpm is 3600, at 113 you should be able to see the tachometer bars showing, so something is not right about that picture.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
onefstsnake said:
I have a 5 Speed. I just put it in Neutral... RPMs drop pretty quick.
YIKES :shock:

Throttle input is essential for controlling the stability of a vehicle, specially at high speeds!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've seen it, the car very politely just cuts fuel on you, it's not nearly as violent as some of the other vehicles my family has owned. I recall one chevy that would hit the govenor and turn the engine in to a huge engine brake until you'd slowed down 10mph.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
limit

I have a 2000 year Manual and I have been up to 120Mph... granteed even though the battery was full and it wasn't a recal the engine was doing forced regeneration to try and slow me down and even with the pedal all the way to the floor and I was going down a good size hill and driving with the wind getting over 110Mph seriously felt like the car was fighting me.... at least once I had to test the car.... I've never been over 90 since.... normally I am a slower driver... but the car did seriously fight me once I started going past 110.

my 2 bits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the rev limiter work by cutting the fuel, cutting the spark, or some other way? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not sure if it cuts the spark or fuel. But its quite violent... lol

And true 10 seconds is an understatement.

Ive done ~8 seconds 0-60 on a cold day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This old Navy Chief is not buying it,....no rpms,...no charge...and at that speed, there would be somewhat of a blur trying to get the shot. Not to mention, for full effect, you would try to get a shot of the full gauge reading.

Here's how you know. Copy the picture into Photoshop or Photosuite and magnify. Compare both numeral "1"....the dust specks on the gauge are in the same exact place on both numbers. I used to do this for a living

You were only going 13 mph.

oh, forgot to ask - what does the instantaneous fuel gauge normally indicate when you drop a manual tranny into neutral?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
More than 50MPG thats for sure. Good catch on the dust specks.
IamIan wrote:
I have a 2000 year Manual and I have been up to 120Mph... granteed even though the battery was full and it wasn't a recal the engine was doing forced regeneration to try and slow me down and even with the pedal all the way to the floor and I was going down a good size hill and driving with the wind getting over 110Mph seriously felt like the car was fighting me.... at least once I had to test the car.... I've never been over 90 since.... normally I am a slower driver... but the car did seriously fight me once I started going past 110.
MIMA would disable the regen, and allow full assist, wonder if it can bypass the limiter?
Need to go to a race track and try it> 8) :wink:
Thompson Speedway is 5 miles from here. Too bad I am a chicken to go that fast. :oops:

·
Registered
466 Posts
BUSTED!

and it should read > 150mpg.

andy g.

btw, it cuts the fuel supply by killing the power to the injectors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Even if the story and the photo were a fake. You should never shift a manual transmission vehicle into netrual at highway speeds much less at a supposed 113 MPH. To me this would be about like removing the steering wheel at highway speed. You are just asking for trouble. Just my 2c

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct the Pic was photochopped. But I have been over 100mph in my Insight.

Just never stupid enough to take a pic of it...

busted... :oops:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, if it means anything to ya, it was a fairly decent chop....but you got wreckless and impatient my young apprentice......by not magnify your job to x300 and taking the paint brush at smallest setting and "pecking" the dust mites off, or at least moving them around.

Like I said, nothing gets by this old Chief. :wink:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
Need to go to a race track and try it> 8) :wink:
Thompson Speedway is 5 miles from here. Too bad I am a chicken to go that fast. :oops:
I've been to several full size race tracks and even the long straights are not long enough to allow the Insight to reach more then 80 mph. On these tracks the fastest street cars can reach over 130 mph. Let me know if you find a race track with a long enough straight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts