Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it looks like using A/C in the summer is going to trash my FE, has anyone thought of using a standalone, portable electric A/C system? I came across this link:

http://www.swampy.net/iceuse.html

They have a separate ice/water reservoir that they run through a heat exchanger to cool air. (No freon, compressor, etc). The unit consumes less than 50W, so it would be less of a drain on your SoC than running the headlights. It consumes 20lbs of ice/hour of use.

They also have pictures that looks like a separate cooler holding the ice/water. I'm thinking that the rear storage compartment under the hatch would be a great place for something like that. The cooler unit itself is about 6 inches thick, and looks like it should be able to fit between the seats.

Anyway, does anyone think this is a solution to the A/C FE problem or am I wasing my time?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
A few members out west reportedly use a sprayer bottle to lightly mist themselves for the evaporative cooling effect.

Back east we rarely warm above the mid 90's. Its not the heat its the humidity. :p As the saying goes for the west; "Yah its hot, but its DRY heat." (usually with a graphic of some sun bleached bones).

I've been in the desert southwest in 105F conditions and found it more comfortable than a typical 95F, 80% humidity day here in Tennessee. Guess it's all what you get acclimated to. ;)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"It consumes 20lbs of ice/hour of use."

What you could do too, to make it really efficient, is to build a very well-insulated storage shed, maybe below ground. In the winter, you take a chain saw, cut chunks of ice off your local pond or river, and put them in the shed. In the summer, haul them out again, and you have free cooling :)

PS: Of course this great idea isn't exactly new. It was quite common before the invention of mechanical refrigerators, back around 1920 or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts