Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if it's possible. Honda doesn't advise it but I've found there are plenty of vehicles able to be flat towed without problems where the manufacturer "advises against it" for liability reasons. Honda themselves said no but my local Honda folks said yes.

Anyone know for sure, and/or who might make compatible towing bars? My Insight is a 5 speed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dont see why not

is our car really any different than any other with the engine off, in neutral, and the parking brake off?

actually your LRR tires will help the MPG on the RV :lol:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
The tow bar would have to be specially manufactured. The front bumper of the Insight would also have to be modified.

Go out and take some measurements..................or sit on the ground next to the Insight and "visualize" how it would look. :(

Willie

·
Registered
536 Posts
Would the lack of positive or negative toe in affect the tracking with no one at the wheel?Most cars are set up to track naturally with the driver making changes in direction at the wheel,the Insight is held in line by the driver other wise moves all over the place.
Would the electric power steering be damaged by steering the wheels from the tow bar especially at very slow manoeuvreing speeds? Try turning the wheel with the electrics off and see how stiff it is.
I would check with Honda at the highest level before splashing out on a tow bar.
Of course you could always use a dolly.

DGate

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You have to be careful with any car when flat towing and turning sharply. I don't think the lack of toe will make any difference.

The two big concerns are whether the transmission will have enough lubrication and whether the transmission will accidently shift into gear, perhaps when going over a bump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
so, i towed my insight with a tow-bar. it helped that i had already removed the front bumper-cover, and all the aerodynamic underbody engine cowling and air-dams. FYI, that stuff is structurally all interconnected. once you remove the mounting bracket for the tow-hook loop thingity, it turns out that the holes in the bumper line up very well with the tow-bar bracket mounts. i DO thoroughly recommend cutting a backing plate out of the same stuff as the tow-mounts are made of. i just think that's a really good idea.

hook up, disconnect battery, turn key to run, place in neutral, release e-brake

my first generation honda insight tows beautifully with a tow bar. the most difficult part about towing was hooking up the tow-lights. but duckt tape solves that pretty darn well.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Doesn't the CVT start clutch operate on the output side of the transmission? If that's the case then as long as it is set to neutral to release the park pawl I'd think you are okay because almost nothing in the transmission should be moving. There should be a towing section in the owner's manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts