Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to be able to control the auto stop when coasting down hills. Has anyone successfully installed a kill switch for the 2nd Gen Insight?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You mean, induce AutoStop while on the move?

I do so, on a very small scale, when I come home rolling towards the driveway by breaking just hard enough to go into AutoStop, then releasing it just enough to all but free the breaks without ending AutoStop. I can easily let it roll for some 20 meter or so like that.

I would love an AutoStop (invoke) switch.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I recall someone posing here on time they spent with Wayne Gerdes, an I2 and a CR-Z. No kill switch but Wayne did introduce them to engine off coasting, just keying off and quickly switching back to acc.

I recall that there was a delay between keying back on and the CVT reengaging.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Then there's this: any modern engine uses no fuel when one takes their foot off the gas. There is no reason to shut down when coasting.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive tried FASing by shifting to neutral and keying off, but I dont think I net anything as the car shortly afterwards does a negative recal. The best you can do is give enough throttle so it doesnt regen.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Then there's this: any modern engine uses no fuel when one takes their foot off the gas. There is no reason to shut down when coasting.
Yep, but you lose speed due to engine braking. There are some circumstances where it's more fuel efficient to maintain speed or allow it to increase on a downhill, than to allow engine braking. Even with the engine idling in neutral there will come a tipping point where keeping speed up (assuming you don't need to stop or keep under a speed limit) will be more fuel efficient than allowing the car to show down.

However I don't think there is really any justifiable reason for engine off costing on a public road and it's illegal in some areas.

The I2 can mimic the fuel efficiency of engine off coasting with a soft glide. To in induce one, let of the gas and reapply to induce EV mode but keep a light foot to minimise assist.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Engine braking? Try driving in sport mode to see engine braking in action. I really dont think its worth it in the grand scheme of things. I know some of the gen 1 guys have stuff like that, but normal actions of driving the car refires the engine such as shifting into gear. We would need to shift to nutral, twist the ignition then shift back into drive and wait a few seconds for line pressure to be developed to drive off.

You should try it the old fashion way by just turning the key to accessory when you want the engine to stop and shift to neutral. Then twist to start the engine, shift to drive and carry on.

Currently I only FAS for rail road crossings.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have done some FASing before. I don't think it is worth it either. I do it as Cobb prescribed: shift to neutral, key to ACC position, key back to ON, coast to stop at intersection, key on, and shift to D.

I have a 2 mile hill that ends in a guaranteed stop at the end. I really don't like to switch back into drive while the car is moving. Overall, the practice is not worth it. But I figured that if someone has managed to trick the car into keeping power steering and braking while the engine is off, then it might be a more viable option.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
You can copy what the gen 1 guys have done and put a kill switch on the yellow/black strip injector wires. I think Mike DB2K made one and a few others. Then you need to rig up a switch to the start lead of the ignition switch as when you twist it it disconnects the accessory circuit to reduce load on the battery. Many cars do that, not just the insight. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts