Honda Insight Forum banner

Wheel spacers

• Good upgrade to outside appearance

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Not worth it

• Not worth it because of wider track and MPG hit

• Id try it if they were installed free.

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner of a 2010 Tango Red EX no navi since August 2010. Stupid question, but anyone try wheel spacers? Guessing they would impact MPG figures as well.

I am currently leasing my car and plan on buying it out in October, some accessories I plan on putting in the car:

HID headlights
stereo head unit/speakers
OEM splashguards
OEM leather steering wheel cover
wheel spacers

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
For a G1 yes it helps, for a G2...?

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
It increases the width of the rear "track".
Ca is bad on the "rain grooves" in the freeways. A std. G1 has a habit of wiggling.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
818 Posts
Speaking of this, Does anyone know what wheel spacers I should buy for my G1? Is this something you just get a a local auto parts place? I have had some tracking issues in moderate rain conditions at highway speeds and I think it should help that.

To explain in more detail... on the G1, the rear wheels are spaced closer together than the front wheels for aerodynamic reasons. When driving through heavy enough rain, the rear wheels will sometimes try to follow a different track than the front causing kind of a wiggle or wobble effect. People have reported that even a small spacer can help the rear wheel grooves track more in line with the front.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I got a set for the gen 2. I liked the way it handles, but the rear would rub the sidewalls on big bumps. Ive removed them and have them somewhere around here.

Ive since gone to 7 inch wheels from the stock 5.5 and rolled my fenders to fit them. :evil:

Yes, I have the roller tool too. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 5mm set I got at advance autoparts to clear the hubs with my snow tires, the wheels have a slightly smaller center bore so I just put the spacers in to clear the hub to go lug-centric. the steelies I have the snow tires on are 5mm more offset so the net offset is the same.

The studs don't protrude through the lug nuts anymore so there's a concern there. But for all the obvious reasons not to do what i did it seems to be working just fine and I wont change it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts