Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that this is a silly question, but anyone in TX, OK, or Louisiana want to part with their Insight? I have been looking for a while and reading posts on this sight. Everything I have found so far has been defective in one way or another--Wrecks, EGR (Herky Jerky), charging issues, etc. I am looking for any color Insight, and can spend up to about $9K, $10K for something really special.

Also, if you have any ideas for good places to look, or a buying strategy, I am all ears.

Please don't beat me up too much if nobody wants to sell :roll: , I am new here and just trying to find an Insight near DFW.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am in the Dallas area and recently purchased a 2000 Insight after a long search. I was unable to find anything in the DFW area so I took a chance and purchased a car from Wyoming and shipped it home. I love it.
Consider shipping one from out of state. I had the seller take it to the local Honda Dealership to have it checked out but some dealers are unwilling to do so.

Keep searching and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mind me asking what you paid for it and the miles? The prices are all over the place.

I have found some with <70K miles for under $7000 in other states, but then more often the cars with that kind of mileage are up into the $10K+ range. There is a really pretty looking Citrus insight here in Dallas, but the guy wants $1150 for it. Too rich for my blood.

My guess is you just sit and watch Craigslist and autotrader until the right deal surfaces...

·
Registered
240 Posts
For what it's worth, the EGR valve issue is a simple $160 fix. This should not prevent you from buying a car. I recently bought a second Insight (now we have his & hers) and it had a problem with the EGR valve. Thanks to this forum, it took a little bit of money and about 10 minutes to resolve the problem.

The biggest issue to look for in a used one is if it has a salvage title, or it's out of warranty by being over 150 k miles (and still on the first battery). The battery work is expensive -- ~$4k -- so it's better to find a car that either has already had it replaced, or is still within warranty.

Good luck!
-fly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you on the EGR thing, I had read it was pretty simple. the car that was sputtering was also one that had a faulty gas guage, and the charging system was not working correctly...or at least the charging/assist light did not read the way it should.
I appreciate the input.

If you got one for sale, or any words of wisdom for a guy who is looking, it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is a 2000 Insight for sale in Tempe, AZ. It has 92000 miles, A/C, 5speed. Owner states the cat converter needs replacing and she does not want to deal with it. She is asking 5800. Go on Craigslist, Phoenix,AZ under cars for sale and search Insight. I thought about buying it a having 2, but don't need another car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The price seems right, how much does a cat go for, is it really $1700? I have done them myself before, but is it special on the Insight?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree the price seems good. You would have to research the cat pricing thing, I don't have any experience on that topic. I would imagine the car will sell fast. I just wanted to let people know it was out there available. They don't come up around here often, expecially at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got a notice in the mail Saturday from Honda stating that a fault with the ecm existed that may show a code for a faulty cat. It also had a form for reimbursement if I had paid for a cat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think the Cat is covered under warranty only until 8/80,000. So, a car with 92K probably isn't covered. Just sayin', is all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm not sure about a mileage limit. This update doesn't state any mileage limit. It is titled:

November 2007

PRODUCT UPDATE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON

This letter is to notify you of a potential problem with your vehicle and what you should do to resolve it.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
Your vehicle's main computer control module (the ecm) can misinterpret readings from various sensors.

What should you do?

Contact any authorized Honda dealer for an appointment to have your vehicle updated. The dealer will replace the ECM. This work will be done free of charge.

If you paid to have your vehicle's catalytic converter(s) replaced sometime in the past, you may be eligible for reimbursement.

If you have questions about this notice, or need help contacting a Honda dealer, please call Honda Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009

It has my vin listed with a Q50 beside it.
I checked at Honda owner link, and it has my ecm listed as changed out in 2002 and the wiring harness mod in 2004.

There is not a mileage limit listed.
I'm going to call today and talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As of this evening she still has the Insight for sale. She had the IMA battery replaced 2 months ago and recetly replaced the engine 12 volt. She says she is the 2nd owner and has receipts on maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am sill looking. the one in AZ is a little out of my way, and I am trying to get one with fewer miles if possible. OHYBRID PM'ed me, and I may go with his 55k 2003 CVT if all goes well. I have not heard from him in a few days, but I am willing to pay a little more for a car with good mileage that as been maintained. I really need to find one in the next month before my wife needs the Fit for her new commute to Dallas. I may look at one in SC while on Christmas vacation, but I don't know if the guy can move enough on the price (he wants $14K, and I can't go over $10-11K). I will keep you guys posted.
-Brandon

---
OHYBRID emailed me a minute ago. We are working out the details...looks promising. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts