Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone determined the changes to installed Arduino boards in insights? Specifically, of course the harness has to be changed. That removes the mcm and bcm. My question is, if the pack(still installed), can the pack still be in the car and connected at the plug and the two top terminals but with the breaker switched off? I'm wondering if this can be done till pack can be removed and car still driven. Seems I read something about this.
Moon car

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let me ask my question another way. Can the pack be left in the car with breaker OFF and change the harness to add the arduino to test/drive the car? Wouldnt the 12v battery then still be charged and the other bcm and mcm become nothings to the system? Maybe upplug the battery plugs too? If this is possible, then the testing and use of the arduino could still be tested/used till the pack could be removed and bypassed. Does this sound doable?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
No, battery needs to be removed to access the harness required to connect the positive and negative cables. You'll,need the fuse too. No real reason to carry dead weight either. It's pointless to keep the battery installed while it's bypassed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So if the pack were installed and the pack breaker switched off, that would prevent 12v charging. Hence removing the pack and wiring up straight from dc to the pack plug would enable the 12v to charge. I see know. Back to the car.....
Thank you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Today I opened up the honda to do the ima bypass. I unplugged all the plugs on the original harness to replace with the new harness and pushed them to the side. I installed the new harness with arduino board and I switched off the breaker too. Started up the car and took it on a drive. The car ran super. The 12v battery was being charged and lean burn was operating.
What I did was leave the battery pack in the car to test the new harness and board. That is a lot of work to someone that cant do it alone to remove the pack. My method here was to test the board before I took the long route to do the pack removal too. The pack can come out when I am ready. OR, as some members have said, they wernt sure to go the whole path to completely remove the pack. This method leaves the door open to return to original form. Im sure at a given time the extra weight of the pack will be removed. But for simplicity, this method described works.
I had a car that herky jerked terrible. Changed out many parts, even computers. Nothing I did stopped the jerky till I took that pack out of the system. I tried several packs, switched dc converter from another car, and all the possible component replacements on the engine. Afterwards, Herky Jerky gone and mileage much improved.
I hope members that are unsure of doing this upgrade founded by Mudder will find starting here will help motivate them to take the plunge. Already miss the autostart and autostop but the improved mileage will over ride those lost benefits.
Moon Car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello fellow Insighters! I have bypassed my IMA using Mudder's Arduino Uno code and absolutely love it! (2000-2006 only) My background is working in aviation as a Sr. Avionics Technician and I'm also a Journeyman Electrician so these type of mods are easy for me to do. However, not everyone has access to the tools that are needed for this modification so that's where I come in! I will make a kit and have everything soldered, programmed, and ready for a plug and play install with no modification necessary. See below

If anyone is interested in this mod and needs help making up a kit please PM me. Works for both AT and MT 2000-2006 Honda Insights

The items needed are:

Your BCM/MCM harness (see pic below)(which doesn't need to be cut into pieces)(located forward of the battery on top)

I bought a spare harness so I can have it separate from the original, this is just my preference (see picture below) I can make your's like this if you want.

The positive and negative harness attached to your battery(see pic below)(located on the left side of the IMA battery as you are looking at it, the positive side goes to the 30AMP fuse and the negative side goes to a bus bar right next to it (I do a slight mod to the negative cable to allow for a bigger terminal ring, however I am extremely anal about my work) You won't need to send me this because I will just supply the correct hardware to mate the connections.

Arduino Uno with protective case (case is optional, but it does protect the unit) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFSWC06/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R1H4BKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The original 30 AMP fuse that is on your battery will work.

All together these parts cost about $25 so that is extremely cheap if you needed to wait to purchase a new battery while still driving your Insight.

If you would like for me to build this kit and supply you with the mentioned parts as a whole kit the total would be $75 given that you send me your harness.

If you want to order a kit and don't have a harness then it will be an extra $60.

If you want me to ship out a kit ASAP before sending me out your harness then it will be $135 ($50 will be refunded once you send me your harness)

Also, if you ever decide that you want to install a battery back in your Insight you'll have to send me your harness again so I can repair the wires and put it back to blueprint. There wont be a charge for that just send me your harness and $10 to cover shipping back to you.

I hope I can help some of you guys out that want to do this modification either temporary or permanently.

·
Premium Member
9,963 Posts
Freeway Bomber:
Is there a message there somewhere? I see the quote, but no reply.

·
Premium Member
9,963 Posts
Go to your avatar on the top right of this screen. Click on it. Then click on conversations to continue.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts