Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been having some trouble with the IMA system in my '01 CVT insight. I cannot get more than three or four bars on the charge side and when accelerating with the pedal to the floor the assist gauge will not read beyond the first "s" in ASST (maybe 5 bars or so). The regenerative breaking is not working at all. The batteries remain near fully charged all the time now because the IMA isn't really doing much. The IMA malfunction light has NOT come on nor has any other idiot light.

I have read about "recalibration" a lot on this site but this does not seem to be an example of that phenomenon. I am guessing that it may have something to do with the extreme heat lately (mid to upper 90's). I avoid AC and when I do use it, it is set on the highest temp I can stand (usually 82 or so). Could the heat be causing issues or percieved issues with battery voltage? I hope that is the case. If not does anyone know of any potential causes? Don't hold back...give it to me straight.

On a more positive note, has performed flawlessly otherwise except for ripping the plastic panels off in the snow. 60mpg over 40k

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I have had similar concerns over the last 2-3 weeks. I have a 2001 5 speed with 61,500 miles. In the 18 months that I've owned the car, I've had a lifetime average of about 59.2 mpg. On the last couple of tanks of gas, I've really struggled with my mileage. In the 100 miles on the current tank, I've only managed 47 mpg! And my battery has been charging a lot and "stuck" at 5-7 bars.

So, my question has been: Is it the 95+ degree heat and running the air conditioning on Auto between 72 and 75 degrees. Or is the heat killing my batteries. Or is it something else.

Earlier this month, I had a major service done (all at the local Honda dealer - I've always felt they did decent work). The work included: A Virginia State safety inspection (the reason I went in), four new Bridgestone R92's (supplied by me), 4 wheel alignment (1 rear wheel is 1 degree out of spec. from an accident before I bought it, but it has always been like that), oil and filter, transmission oil, inspect and adjust belt, change brake fluid. A lot of that is called for in the 60,000 mile service. They also said my front brakes are close to needing replacement, but passed inspection. I've bought the pads and plan to install them soon.

1.) Can the new tires reduce the mileage (even though they are OEM)? I usually run them at 48 psi. I checked two days ago and they were down to 42 psi. I haven't refilled them yet.

2.) How much influence does alignment play in mileage?

3.) I read recently on this forum that all Honda's use the same manual tranny oil so can I assume it is correct?

4.) If they overfilled the engine oil (they may have - I need to look more closely), will it lower the mileage?

5.) Could the heat be pushing my batteries over the edge ? (I'm actually hoping for that one - new batteries under warranty would be a good thing)

Are others seeing lousy mileage in this brutal heat or should I be doing more investigation into the poor performance?

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
1) Yes, but only _slightly_ since their circumference will be greater the distance traveled per rev will be farther and therefore you consume more fuel for the same distance shown. The odometer can't compensate for this "error" factor.

2) A great amount. Usually Toe is the greatest MPG factor.

3) Yes. But using a 100% synthetic theoretically will reduce drag and increase MPG. There are some unusual situations that gear rake will be a problem which only returning to the Honda MTF can "cure".

4) If more than 3 qts then absolutely (at some point greater than 3) but I've personally compared 2.5, 2.7 & 3.0 with no measurable MPG difference.

5) Heat will cause the BCM to limit charging and will limit the batteries ability to accept a charge without damage. I'm seeing similar "trouble" now.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply John.

I pulled the aligment report out of the glove box. Last year, one rear wheel had about -0.7 mm of toe (spec is 0.0 - 3.0). Now that rear wheel is in spec, but the other is at 3.9 mm. Total rear toe is now 5.8 mm and last year it was 3.4 mm. Spec is 0.0 - 6.0 so I'm in spec, but just barely and not quite as good as 1 year ago. I checked my tire pressure tonight and it was at 45 psi. I suspect the alignment and the new tires have hurt slightly, but I think this 95+ degree heat is killing the mileage (I have to run the A/C) and probably giving the batteries fits.

Jim

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bad for MPG but good for battery?

Yeah, the heat is a killer for the MPG combined with using the AC. But on the other hand, the battery pack uses passenger compartment air to cool itself, so an AC on time will help on that factor. Do the benefits and costs counter each other out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gather from these conversations that the answer to my original post would be "yup, it's the heat".

Since this now seems to be an open thread, I will pose the following questions:

1) Am I the only one who has aimed the rear window washer nozzle upward so that I can spray tailgaiters? It will reach pretty far at lower speeds but still gets the desired single fingered response on the highway.

2) Whould a couple refreezable ice packs in the battery compartment improve (at least for a short trip) IMA performance in gawdawful heat? Condensation may be an issue - zap!

3) What is the optimum length of cable required to snag a tractor trailer with a grappling hook? Don't want to be toting around too much heavy cable ya know. Better yet, one could use the battery bank to energize an electromagnet on the front bumper. Wach out for those guide rails.

Any additional absurd, or otherwise clever ideas would be welcomed!

·
Registered
187 Posts
WWEAD? said:
1) Am I the only one who has aimed the rear window washer nozzle upward so that I can spray tailgaiters? ....
Not sure, but you may be! I have wondered how far the water would squirt backwards and seriously considered adjusting the rear nozzle after an pesty experience w/ a gigantic tailgating Chevy, but I never followed through.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... highlight=

As exotic as our cars look, it must make quite an impression when one suddenly squirts a stream of water and then jets forward...like a shimmering squid in a sea of traffic...I'd better stop now. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts