Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night after climbing a moderate grade I looked at the dash and noticed the state of my IMA battery was near zero. I was concerned for a second, then I remembered the conversations here regarding recalibration and I figured that's what was going on. To further my belief that that was the case, I noticed that the battery charging indicator was showing a constant low level of charge current being generated, and the battery state of charge was slowly rising.

It's a 2000 5-speed with 70k miles by the way. Bought it just a couple months ago with a Honda Certified used car warranty.

Well all is fine until it got to about a 3rd charged and the IMA light comes on, solid. A few seconds later the check engine light comes on, solid. At that time I see the IMA battery charge state is zero, the charge indicator reads zero, and there is no assist at all. The car still starts on the IMA system though, not the auxilary starter like I kinda expected.

Obviously the car is going in for service, this weekend if at all possible. Before I take it in and talk to them, I was wondering what if anything you guys could tell me about the possible problem is, or if anyone has experience with this particular failure mode and what the solution was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing... Forgot to mention this.

After the IMA and check engine illuminated, a short period of time after
that (minutes) the battery charge indicator rose all the way to the top very quickly. Like within a total of 30 seconds. It remains showing full charge, even though the IMA and check engine light are still on.

Tomorrow I will call the service manager at the dealer I purchased from. Will post an update if anything interesting transpires.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi devin1955....i'm confused...your second post contradicts your first post,which is correct concerning the battery charge state, zero or full charge.
DGate

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I didn't report the facts exactly correct the first time. The battery charge state never went to zero after it began to charge again. After the IMA and Check Engine lights came on, a short time afterward the battery charge rose rather quickly to the full charge, minus the usual one or two bars.

I didn't drive the car yesterday, and last night I checked it. Batery charge still reads full, the IMA and Check Engine lights are on, and it starts from the IMA system, not the aux starter.

I read somewhere, probably here, that the electric motor is only 8 horsepower. I wondered how much assist it could possibly be prividing given it's low power. Well believe me, you know when it's not working!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spoke with the service manager at my dealer and the car is going into the shop tonight. They're open till 8pm so I don't have to wait till Saturday. He seemed reasonably knowledgable about the Insight and said they service quite a few of them, so I feel better. I also told them about the 2 events I've had where the car hasn't started normally after an auto-stop, so I got that on my service record.

It would break my heart (not) if they had to replace the IMA battery, but honestly I don't feel like it's a battery problem. Even though it's 70k miles old, it's always held a full or nearly full charge.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
If I were you, I would kind of hope it needs a new battery, BCM, etc. now rather than later. It should be under warranty (< 80,000 miles) and the new one should last you a LONG time.

Jim

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly. That's why I said it would break my heard (not). :)

I've got 10k miles left on the Honda warranty, and apparently that's extended to some degree because the car had 68k on it when I purchased it with the Honda Certified used car warranty. I'm bad though, as I never got a clear indication of exactly what was and was not covered by that warranty when it comes to the Insight. On the Honda web page they only talk about things relating to normal cars, not the special items that only the hybrids have like the IMA battery and electronics. I assume those are considered drivetrain components.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Look on the bright side, if it shows the code for a new battery then you will get the new BCM and MCM along with it!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I just talked with the dealer. They were supposed to call me at work but they left a message at my home. Since I hadn't heard from them and it's about closing time I checked and there it was.

The only person I could speak with didn't have all the exact details, but apparently there are 3 parts necessary, and 2 are on backorder. ETA unknown but they'll get an update next week. I'll find out specifics when I talk to them next week, but I'm starting to get my hopes up that I'll be getting some good stuff at Honda's expense. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Confirmed

Well today I confirmed that I'm getting a new battery and new BCM/MCM. Only problem is they're "hoping" to have all the parts by the end of the week.

Taking into account what I'm getting, I think I can be a little patient.

Odd thing is, I NEVER had a reason to believe my battery was failing. It had always shown full charge minus 3 or 4 bars max depending on whether I was driving on city streets doing lots of stop-n-go, or on the freeway. The only time I saw a lower battery indicator was when I test drove it before purchasing, and it started at roughly half charge but charged up nicely.

Is a battery failure without any indication that it's having troubles normal?

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is almost exactly what happened to me except I have no lights on the dash, I took it into honda and they said there is no problem...... man, is there anyone who knows how to work on these cars????

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed!

Picked up my car last night. It's running better than it did before the IMA failure. It seems the assist is kicking in sooner than it did before, and to a greater degree. Mileage so far seems about what it was before, and it seems to stay in a lean burn mode easier. I have to say even though there was a wait for the MCM and BCM, which was out of their control, my dealer did an excellent job. They kept in touch with me, offered more than once to provide a rental car, and once they got the parts they had it ready to go the same day. I just found out today they didn't even have the official authorization from Honda for the warranty work yet, they just did it and they're working with Honda to resolve everything.

Hardin Honda in Anaheim California if anyone's interested.

The code the computer gave was P1449 by the way. I don't have a manual yet to look that up in, and a search of the forums shows nothing. What does that code officially mean?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like mine

Your discription sounds pretty much like my senario: when I test drove this little car on a hot day last week, it was boggy and really slow on takeoff. Thought it was cause I haven't driven a sitck in about 10 years and know it's no tire burning hotrod. But did notice the battery state indicator took a serious dip, then slowly came back to full. Thought this was 'normal'. After the deal negotiations were done and driving the car home, all seems OK (to someone never owned one).
OK, next day at work after a 90+ scorcher Georgia day in the parking lot sun, climb in and don't even get out of the lot before the state indicator falls flat, the charging (at idle) rate goes up, and the IMA and check engine lights are on. Made it home with no a/c on.
This seems a trend with these 2000's. Age / milage related? 104,500 for mine. Normal situation for battery pack D.O.A. ?

I think I may have temporarily reset the system. When I got home I went looking for all those reported poorly done ground wires (posted on the forum), so I started with the battery ground, and found that slightly 'dusty' with normal corrosion. Also found one of the grounds under the air cleaner box to be falling apart. and the other was screwed down to painted areas. I repaired the falling apart one by using a torch and solder after re-opening the crimp on the cable end and recrimping the wire back in. An ohm meter test of the repaired cable indicated a nice zero ohms resistance.
But as I suspected, the fix is likely temporary. While driving the next day the same symptons are showing, the bogging down and the state of charge dipping to about 25%. I'll be expecting the complete failure and lights on again soon as it's hot enough. :cry:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boy, I hate to see a brand new Insight owner have to face what you're facing. I'm a new owner as well, though I like to joke about how if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all, I have to say my battery problems were very lucky indeed. I'm sitting pretty now with all new stuff.

If I were you, I'd be back on your dealers doorstep asap. I've read most of your posts, and I'd just tell them what happened, that you did a system reset which seems to have temporarily solved the problem, but that the original problem wouldn't have happened if everything was up to snuff. If they won't commit to a repair within the next few thousand miles, I'd try to work that exchange deal. :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just noticed today that after my repair, I now have the auto-down function on my drivers window. Neet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts