Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original:

Not paywalled version:

Calvin sold me the Insight (about 308k miles), new rear subframe, rebuilt tranmission in '15, new battery in '20 and a few other odds and ends including a grid charger, and discharger, as well as a Honda shop manual for the car which he mailed to me after. The exhaust needs a new doughnut I think or maybe a pipe has rusted through but he made sure to tell me about this.... it still runs fine though albeit a bit noisy.

He and his wife drove the car up to meet me (originally I planed to trailer it home), and he spent a good bit of time going over it with me and making sure I knew any issues he knew of.

So far its been great, in the mid upper 60s MPGs (70mpg on the way to work but that may not be 100% accurate, driving it home I averaged 66mpg over about 80 miles).

The future for the car probably holds a new exhaust (at least a doughut and bolts and springs probably), new struts are likely needed, Japanese ATOTO F7 10in single DIN head unit so I can view maps via android auto (the sony sounded better though so I may have to put a small amp in)... more long term goal is to do the LiBCM mod + 60S FoMoCo pack + Prius 2nd Gen electric AC.

The ATOTO F7 10in single din acutaly fits in there pretty well, it does make the cup holders a bit less accesible though not that they are super practical for anything other than holding change anyway. I would suggest anyone else going with one of those go for the 7in model instead though even though there are not any real clearance issues with the 10in one (I'll document this better in a separate post).

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

Font Display device Electronic device Auto part Trip computer

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Original:

Not paywalled version:

Calvin sold me the Insight (about 308k miles), new rear subframe, rebuilt tranmission in '15, new battery in '20 and a few other odds and ends including a grid charger, and discharger, as well as a Honda shop manual for the car which he mailed to me after. The exhaust needs a new doughnut I think or maybe a pipe has rusted through but he made sure to tell me about this.... it still runs fine though albeit a bit noisy.

He and his wife drove the car up to meet me (originally I planed to trailer it home), and he spent a good bit of time going over it with me and making sure I knew any issues he knew of.

So far its been great, in the mid upper 60s MPGs (70mpg on the way to work but that may not be 100% accurate, driving it home I averaged 66mpg over about 80 miles).

The future for the car probably holds a new exhaust (at least a doughut and bolts and springs probably), new struts are likely needed, Japanese ATOTO F7 10in single DIN head unit so I can view maps via android auto (the sony sounded better though so I may have to put a small amp in)... more long term goal is to do the LiBCM mod + 60S FoMoCo pack + Prius 2nd Gen electric AC.

The ATOTO F7 10in single din acutaly fits in there pretty well, it does make the cup holders a bit less accesible though not that they are super practical for anything other than holding change anyway. I would suggest anyone else going with one of those go for the 7in model instead though even though there are not any real clearance issues with the 10in one (I'll document this better in a separate post).

View attachment 98197

View attachment 98196
Just a tip... I installed a BOSS BE7ACP-FT in my citrus 2 days ago and honestly it's blown me away for the price.

Let me just quote some things I said to my insight buddies.

'Basically I had a few major criteria that a single din big screen had to have.

1. It must stick out far enough as to clear the CCM so it didn't tilt down
2. Sit low enough that it didn't block the CCM buttons
3. Sit low enough for CCM buttons, while also not interfering with cup holder usage
4. Same as above, but not interfere with normal shifting behavior
5. Have a manual volume knob, not a button
6. Android auto'

It meets all the above criteria, plus it has 85w per channel capabilities. Combined with Kicker 46CSC654's the sound quality is what I would refer to as 'great' to 'excellent'. The screen looks good, the UI is snappy, definitely no complaints.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

Reactions: cb88

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a tip... I installed a BOSS BE7ACP-FT in my citrus 2 days ago and honestly it's blown me away for the price.

Let me just quote some things I said to my insight buddies.

'Basically I had a few major criteria that a single din big screen had to have.

1. It must stick out far enough as to clear the CCM so it didn't tilt down
2. Sit low enough that it didn't block the CCM buttons
3. Sit low enough for CCM buttons, while also not interfering with cup holder usage
4. Same as above, but not interfere with normal shifting behavior
5. Have a manual volume knob, not a button
6. Android auto'

It meets all the above criteria, plus it has 85w per channel capabilities. Combined with Kicker 46CSC654's the sound quality is what I would refer to as 'great' to 'excellent'. The screen looks good, the UI is snappy, definitely no complaints.

View attachment 98199
I strongly considered that model but ended up passing on it. And instead got the ATOTO as it can do wireless android auto as well as wireless apple carplay... which is pretty slick. In fact the head unit itself is moderately dumb compared to most android head units but I consider that a plus. It's a Linux based head unit and it boots pretty fast.

I'm considering putting one of the brick style amps behind it, like a Sony/Alpine or Pioneer power pack just not sure which one yet. The 10In AOTO meets all the critera except for rotary knob.... I may be able to wire one up to it though since it has steering wheel control signals not sure though.

Actually this guy did exactly what I am talking about already

I think what I will be able to do is design a 3d printed clip for the back of the head unit screen to mount a volume knob right to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also note that wireless android auto and carplay is supposed to be a feature coming to ATOTO's S series android head units also.... pretty much none of the other head units on the market can do this, and the ones that attempt it are buggy.

So yeah this thing can do wireless android auto + wired android auto. so you just hop in the car and your phone connects to it and powers all the smarts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
40 sec from key on to Android Auto connected and playing music from Pandora. Once it is paired up and you set your phone to auto connect you don't have to do anything to connect it just start the car.

·
Linsight Designer
3,904 Posts
One interesting tidbit from that NYT article:
"About 64% are still registered, including 40 in New Hampshire, according to Experian Automotive". So that means 16,000 US G1 insights * 0.64% = 10,240 G1 insights are still registered in the US. Seems high to me, but cool datapoint.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Of course that article was written three years ago, so the number has to have dropped further... but who knows how much further.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course that article was written three years ago, so the number has to have dropped further... but who knows how much further.
I wouldn't be supprised if the number was acutally rising at the moment due to fuel prices... and slacks off as fuel gets cheaper again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I welded the exhaust back together... we'll see how my dodgy welding holds together I think i still have a small leak but I'll resolve that later.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The article says it was rebuilt by a mechanic in California for $900 shipped- sounds like a Scott rebuilt transmission to me.
I wasn't sure if you understood that Recovering_Gasaholic said this as a good thing. We'd all like to have a Scott (KLR3CYL) rebuilt transmission in our car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts