Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... as opposed to depreciation. I have been checking the "True Market Value" (private party) of my Insight on Edmunds.com every month for about a year (before that I was basing my estimates on TMV of Honda Civics), and recorded it in Quicken. It has increased in reported value since about March, and is now back above where it was in December of 2003.

:)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Really? What does it say the current values of them are? I've noticed that the "Black Book" in Canada has very low prices compared to any Insight I've found for sale online, so hopefully the book value goes up to be closer to the actual prices of them. Though ideally the cars themselves would gain in value too.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About $9000 for a 2000 Insight in my zip code with my mileage, color, and condition. 2003 was the first year that Edmunds reported TMV on the 2000 Insight. In March it was at $8500.

I just checked Kelley Blue Book and it was $9500. I don't track it regularly so I can't say whether KBB has gone up or not in the past few months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's interesting - I never thought of tracking it month to month.

How close do you think Edmunds "Private Party" estimate is to what you could actually get selling your car?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea, Lee, I just assume that they're doing a good job of monitoring the market :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
This topic got me thinking. UK prices for the Insight have not decreased since I bought mine a year and a half ago. (Although Insights are very slow to sell).

It has been said before, but it is likely that we own a future cult classic!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I noticed this too...

After the tree limb fell on my Insight, and I thought it would be totaled, I began looking for another Insight on ebay and auto trader. To my surprise, I found that the market price had gone up drastically. It would be interesting to see if the Insight's rise in market value coincides with the rise in gas prices.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoo! Reported value at Edmunds continues to climb, and is now back to the value it was at a year ago - September 2003 - nearly $10k. Kelley Blue Book "private party" value has held steady.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
About $9000 for a 2000 Insight in my zip code with my mileage, color, and condition. 2003 was the first year that Edmunds reported TMV on the 2000 Insight. In March it was at $8500.

I just checked Kelley Blue Book and it was $9500. I don't track it regularly so I can't say whether KBB has gone up or not in the past few months.
KBB can be regional. I know my Insight depreciated $70 in three days last week, between the day I first ran it through and the day I bought it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts