Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
Do they really think that will sell in any significant numbers? ... another Twike...
Sure hope you're wrong about that. I for one suspect that there is real potential for such vehicles; relatively inexpensive, long lasting, efficient, two seat transportation.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
Do they really think that will sell in any significant numbers? It's going to probably be another Twike...
I love the Twike :D ... in 2008 they added a Li battery option... so the company is still working and selling... even if they are still hand building all the vehicles in low volume production , that you have to import to get in the U.S. :cry: ....

Although I also do like the Aptera... as a close number two behind the Twike... but if I had to choose between the two... I would still side with the Twike... The Aptera apeals to the same class of person that read about the Insight in Popular Mechanics and just had to have one... The Aptera is also less money than the Volt, while still getting better MPG, and still being a domestic car company. :D

Hopefully my Insight-I has a long time left in it as I also do greatly enjoy my Insight :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The Aptera is too weird to be anything but a curiosity.

One could argue that the Insight is the same, but the difference is that the Insight is a real car. I'd be very surprised if the Aptera sold 1500 units, let alone the 15,000 that the Insight did.

The again, just when I thought it couldn't happen, people surprise me. Just look at the success of the (absolutely usless, overpriced and ugly) Smart car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
The Aptera is too weird to be anything but a curiosity.
... look at the success of the (absolutely usless, overpriced and ugly) Smart car.
Not so sure you're right about that, at least I hope you're not.

As for that "Smart Car" a day or two ago I came across a webpage which offered half a dozen or so photos of some of the after-market "advanced styling" body designs, up grades or add-ons for the "Smart Car." That there are individuals out there who will pay for such nonsense (as I see and understand it), I'm sure there are but then for a moment, consider the stunning success of the original VW "Bug" a car which at first no one wanted, one which as I understand it, American auto dealerships were forced to accept or loose their franchises.

The world can be a funny place at times.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I'd be very surprised if the Aptera sold 1500 units, let alone the 15,000 that the Insight did
I don't know about that. The web site says that 3600 people have put down $500 deposits, and they won't even accept a deposit unless you have a California address.

As for the Smart being useless, ever spent any time in a European city? You can park two of them, maybe three, in the same space as one "normal" car.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Deposits are one thing, moving actual product is another. As I recall, Zap always had plenty of deposits, yet sold very little product. Of course Zap is a special case...

If people found the Insight too weird, then how could they like the Aptera? Maybe the Aptera is weird enough that the fact it's a curiosity is what will sell it. Honestly though I just can't see the average person driving around in one. For that matter, the average person doesn't like the SMART either....

Which brings us to the SMART. Ugly is subjective, I'll give people that. For me to say it's ugly is to voice a personal opinion (though an opinion that a lot of people share). I'm sure the SMART is a joy to park, but the issue for me is that it has almost no cargo capacity. The weekly groceries wouldn't even fit in one trip. It's very slow, and does not get the amazing gas mileage people think it does. Keep in mind I'm talking about the diesel fortwo model, which has been the only model available in Canada for the past few years. And the fact that it's diesel means that yes, it rattles and stinks. And for $18,000. $18,000?!

But here's the kicker...They sell like crazy over here. So if people are willing to buy an overpriced, ugly, slow and useless vehicle because it's the in thing to do, then maybe the Aptera has a chance in that sense. But it's so weird. I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Sure, maybe the average person wouldn't want to drive around in an Aptera, but there are quite a few non-average people in this world. Indeed, there are probably more non-average than average :) Indeed, one might reflect that building cars suited to the "average American" is why GM, Ford, and Chrysler are doing so well...

I just know that I'd buy an Aptera today, if I could.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would buy an Aptera in a heartbeat, I would also buy another Smart car but then again some would say i'm a little odd in my choice of cars. One thing for sure I have gained a vast ,varied and enjoyable experience of unusual cars over the past 55 years and would never settle for the norm. Give me the extreme's anyday,the opposite's in designs from one extreme to the other provides you with more feedback fun and experience than sticking with one concept.

DGate

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just had the latest news from Aptera and they are switching from the single rear belt driven wheel to front wheel drive.
This is a major rethink since the electric motor will be moved to the front.
This is probably to bring the electric only version in line with the placement of the ICE hybrid package.Having the weight in the nose with the front wheels pulling provides better natural stability,better traction and will prevent the rear from rising when accelerating from standstill.
Its a shame though that such a simple light weight design now has to have a differential,four CV joints, two driveshafts and two beefed up hub carriers to facilitate this rethink.

Just shows how easy it is to add weight in the process of achieving a production for public consumption.

DGate

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Dgate said:
Just had the latest news from Aptera and they are switching from the single rear belt driven wheel to front wheel drive.
I suspect this will make the Aptera a more workable option for those of us who live in regions that receive much snow and ice.

-Bryan

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would love to see one of these things on the road and get some real world feedback. Boy, these things take a long time to get off the ground! Maybe by the time my Insight is just about worn out, the Apteras will have been on the road for a few years and the bugs will be worked out. It would be nice not to have a fuel bill.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boy, these things take a long time to get off the ground!

Yes just think how long it takes a major manufacturer to produce a new model and they already have an infrastructure in place. New start ups have a lot longer and harder road to a viable consumer product. It doesn't help that todays consumers expect perfection from day one, and this in an imperfect world.
I hope the recession is not a killer for them,shame they couldn't have been in full swing while gas was high.

DGate

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Oh..... You mean... like one of these? :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts