Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... Or is it best to use it as much as possible?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you had asked me this question a month ago I would have responded that it was best to use ECON all the time. Since that time I have read several posts that had suggested that on the Highway you should not use ECON with cruise control, and have been doing just that for the past 2 fill-ups and have been able to increase my overall mileage by over 1mpg.

I believe ECON is useful in learning how to drive to achieve the best mileage, and once you are accustom to driving that way turning ECON off will not change your newly learned driving habits.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the most part, unless you live in an extremely flat area, I would turn ECON off only when cruising on the highway. Small hill variations seem to keep your speed fluctuating when ECON is on, but not when ECON is off.

Since you won't be constantly accelerating uphills like you would with ECON on, you get slightly better mileage with ECON off on the highway.

I believe at least.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I find on the interstate I am limited to 47mpg with econ off, cruse on. I turn econ off for stop n go in the city when the temps are over 90 degrees to keep the ac cold, but turn it on once I get rolling.

I also use the cruse control to get to speed. So lets say I was at 55, had to come to a stop, then go again. I get it up to 25, then hit resume and it takes it time getting to 55 again with econ on, With econ off it will go to 4 grand to get back to the set speed, way too agressive.

What ever works for you is fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Cobb
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing