Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
10,712 Posts
Yes

Welcome. Everyone on here has something to offer.
A lot of members are very experienced and knowledgeable.

Almost everything to do with the insight has been discussed on here many times.

Your first mission before posting a question should be to search thoroughly on the forum.
If you can't find the answer then post your questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed

Great response. Yes I have invested many many hours researching this fine site. My car is at 100k now on a French sold gen 2, 2010 EX. The mpg has fallen from 46 combined to now 38 in 10k driven (over 9 months). It is a gradual decline each month and now at 38, I'm to the point to either fix or sell. Since I live basically 10 miles from Russia with no servicing dealer to turn to, and most parts here are fake...b4 I start a tear down I need to be darn sure I have parts, details and all my ducks in a row. Authentic Honda dealer parts are an 8 hour drive form me, one way. And with no dash lights or OBD faults...here we are.
Now, for many years by trade I was the regional ecomm director for a major Japanese oem and know that (ask a tech) is the #2 page hit after schedule an appointment. And since this is a thread driven arrangement here...and I haven't seen much specific and detailed gen2 drivability (concrete fixes, advice in terms of say a suspect o2 sensor needed at 100k) type detail, I figured it was time to start a thread to address detailed techie at 100k.
If not, my bad.
Please show me what you best recommend as your breadth of experience here clearly eclipses any thing I have come across so far.
Many thanks in advance,
D

·
Administrator
10,712 Posts
Well with no Obd faults it's back to basics.

My suspects in order.

Battery charging more than normal killing mpg. Suspect out of balance/possible failure soon.
Can you see lots of charging activity on the display? More than normal?

Non oem high rolling resistance tyres fitted. Low pressures?

Brakes binding.

Cold temps reducing mpg.
Aircon on wrong setting killing mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Further notes

Thanks for the trouble shooting options. about 30 days ago I changed the 12v battery as it was original. I will re-check for codes and put the car in the air to inspect it again.

All the rest seems fine with no real changes. All filters and fluids are clean. we are entering the cold season so no need for air-con.

What codes come up or what am I looking for with a battery issue? Are you referring to the IMA system battery or the 12v with your comment? Please clarify.

Since shops are closed now I wish to formulate a checklist for Momday/Tuesday. As for charging more than normal I never really watch that system function in the ip so with normal I have no point of reference or context.

More to come for sure and thanks a million in advance.

D

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
IMHO, that level of decline with no other indicators is likely a deteriorated battery.

You need to invest in a Chinese version of HDS (Honda Diagnostic System). For < US$150, you can get the necessary hardware/software needed to fully diagnose your system on a laptop you provide. The Gen2 vehicles also track a "battery health" value. If this number is very low, it's a sign of a failing battery that may not yet be throwing codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts