Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just bought a used 2001 Insight. While I'm generally very pleased with the car and have gotten a lot of useful information from this forum, I have a question about a minor problem I'm having with the Assist/Charge meter on the dashboard.

I understand how the lines in the meter work and all that but on my Insight the far left side of the charge display and the far right side of the assist display have solid colored "chunks" of light that are somewhat rectangular shaped but with irregular edges. As the IMA either goes into assist or charge mode you can see the lighted lines going into these areas. It's kind of annoying because it's hard to tell just how the IMA is working but aside from that is it a sign of trouble?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ouch, it sounds like it's the instrument LED cluster leaking. There have been several members here that have reported this. Unfortunately it's a relatively expensive repair. Watch eBay, there's bound to be another cluster come up eventually. I think the unit can be dissassembled so you could use the part you need out of the other one is possible because the odometer miles are stored in the cluster so you don't want to replace the whole thing otherwise you'd have a TMU car (true mileage unknown) which is not a good thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Rick. I wanted to add that while driving home from work yesterday aftertoon the "leakage" areas on both side of the display cleared up and everything looked normal except for a piece about the size of a match head in the assist portion of the display. Going to work this morning the display looked like it had before (with the "blobs" on the display). Does the "leakage" from the LED go someplace and come back at random?

·
Registered
569 Posts
SamuraiSam said:
Thanks for the info, Rick. I wanted to add that while driving home from work yesterday aftertoon the "leakage" areas on both side of the display cleared up and everything looked normal except for a piece about the size of a match head in the assist portion of the display. Going to work this morning the display looked like it had before (with the "blobs" on the display). Does the "leakage" from the LED go someplace and come back at random?
I've had the problem for a while. The "Blob" comes and goes. Very hot temperatures seem to make it a little better, while it seems worse in the winter. While making a 250+ mile drive on monday, the "Blob" completely vanished. Today it is so bad that I have a hard time telling if I'm using assist or not. Along with Ebay, you might try a salvage yard, unless like me, you can deal with the annoyance.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Like Bill said it's likely heat related. If you are mechcniaclly inclined you can take the cluster out of the dash (requires dropping of the steering column I believe) and dissassemble it and find out which layer is the culprit. They do sell the individual layers of the display, or like I said find one out of a wreck and then you'll have a whole set of the pieces to work with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts