Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And now a puplic service anouncement for new Insight owners, Pump up your tires!

I have a slow leak in my left rear tire that i didn't know about when i first bought it. My assist going up the same hill would use 1/6 of the battery instead of 1/12. Hills were just so so painful is the only word. Force regen would not top up the battery on my 20 mile one way commute, Assist went through it like butter and force regen happened every 3-4 days cause it didn't go to full. The battery felt really weak and would lose capacity fast. My battery felt 15 years old.

So when i go to put air in my tires, and it reads:
24! 35

24psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It barely gave out pressure on the gauge. Though the car is light so it tolerated it well. Symptoms of this condition are swaying left and right in turns, and a magic carpet like suspension.

I pumped them to 40 all the way around and it felt like i was driving a "normal" car again. Even having them properly inflated helps, anything above that is icing to the cake.
Now i have them set to:
46,44 to accomodate the slow leak.

Some observations at new PSI setting:
Assist is more powerful and uses less battery. I can dial back assist when i want to because it comes on later instead of usually assisting to accelerate. Because i'm not wasting momentum on rolling resistance, regen adds bars to the battery alot quicker. If i wanted to i can leave work at 100% and come home at 100% regening any assist i may have used. MPG maintained at level roads is higher. Car is a pleasure to drive and it doesn't feel underpowered at all.

So if you know your battery is weak, or it feels weak all of a sudden and you think the high temps are deteriorating your battery. THEN PUMP UP YOUR TIRES TO THE MAX! And don't waste your assists in RR! Your car will thank you for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just FYI, I recently had 2 slow leaking tires fixed on 2 different cars at Les Schwab, they charged me absolutely nothing for either repair. I didn't even buy the tires there! If you have a leak definately head over to the tire shop, much better than refilling it every week. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately i live on the east coast. What exactly did they do? This is a used car of course. Tire's do still have some good tread on them. Does it have to do with how they're on the wheels? I air my tires about every 3 weeks.

One gas station i went to cost a buck. And it was full of water. when you put air in your tires point the hose at your rims about a half an inch and spray air at them. If you see water droplets forming don't use that air pump anymore.

Luckily i think there is a free place that around here with a nice air machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One tire had a tiny nail in it i didn't notice (patched) and the other had a leaking valve stem (replaced.) Hopefully there's a similar store you can find out where you live to get that fixed. Good call on the water/air mix at the gas station, I notice the same thing happens on my compressor at home if i dont open the bottom drain after i put it away.

·
6,929 Posts
Yep. If the car feels strange, tire pressure is the first thing I check.

This same phenomenon is present with different tires too. When we bought Insight #2, it had some crappy 175mm tire and steel wheels. It felt like the car was driving around with 20PSI in RE92s.

When we installed Insight rims and RE92s, it really was amazing how much different assist behaved and how much more peppy the car felt - not to mention how much the MPG improved! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts