Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. This is going to be my build thread for my 2001 Silver Insight. I plan to modify almost every aspect of the car in search of the ultimate Insight cruiser/Track Toy.

The goal of this project are as follows;
- 12.50 1/4 mile times
- 50-55 MPG on highway trips
- 1G skid pad handling on street tires (RS-3, StarSpecs, Rivels)
- Long distance driving in comfort
- Well integrated Infotainment center
- A/C, Heat, ABS, Power steering are all required.

With those ever lofty goals in mind....Please don't laugh at me, Haha. Here are the parts I have already acquired and some I plan to acquire in order to meet these goals.

Engine:
K24A2 out of a TSX
RBC intake from a 06-11 Civic Si
50 degree VTC Actuator
K-tuned Swap Header
Custom 2.5in exhaust
Aftermarket Cruise Control
Kpro V4 Ecu
Custom Engine Harness
Innovate Engine Mounts

Transmission:
K20 RSX transmission
Custom hardened gear set
Carbon syncros
Stock 06-11 Civic Si LSD
TSX longer 6th gear
Custom 3.4 Final Drive

Suspension:
Custom Fortune Auto front Coilovers with special valving
4K swift springs
Custom front camber plates
Custom swift Rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
Modifed front control arms to accept 02-05 Civic Si ball joint
Custom rear sway bar
Custom front sway bar and mounts

Brakes:
02-05 Civic Si front calipers
Slotted Rotors
Bosch High Performance Pads

Interior:
S2000 seats on custom rails
S2000 Steering wheel
S2000 gauge cluster
Custom Infotainment center (Tablet integration)
Window tint primarily for UV protection
Custom rear interior paneling to fill battery hole
500 Watt amp
8 Infinity Speaker Sound System
Battery Relocation to rear
HID Retrofit (not really interior but whatever, it fits no where else)

Wheels and Tires:
Kosei K1 15X7 wheels
200 TW tire, Undecided.

This is my build so far, I would say that I am about 40% of the way through this project as of right now. I have most of the parts on hand and am gathering more and more each day. I just want a great cruising car that will also get great gas mileage. I want it to be at home on the street as it is on the track. I know this is a lofty goal but I think I have the parts and the know how to do it. Even if I don't quite make it there I will still have one fun Insight to mess around in.

Stay Tuned.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here she is as I got her. She had a bumper and light but those quickly came off to make room for what was going to happen next. Yes my garage was a mess. I am working on that as well, haha.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I hate to bust your balls, but I don't think you will get 50-55. I think 40-45 is more realistic. The TSX itself is rated for 31mpg Highway, so I think a 50% increase by going to a lighter, smaller car with the same engine is more feasible.

As for the rest of your project, it looks like it will be a cool car!! Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
78 Posts
subscribed... out of curiosity but how much are your custom fortune auto coil overs costing? I tried to have them made for the insight through a few connections but they wouldn't entertain the idea. But they did make a suspension setup for a Honda CRV for a friend which makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Balto, that's why I am not just putting the engine in a lighter car and hoping for the best. I have a few other tricks that I hope will get me to my goals. The stock TSX final drive is 4.760, the custom final drive I have is a 3.4, drastically different. The TSX at 70MPH is at 3,100RPM, with my final drive I will be at 2,200RPM. On top of that I plan to make a cruise/lean burn tune, I have done this in the past to other cars and the results have been fantastic.

Buis02, My Time Trial car is sponsored by Fortune Auto so I have pretty much the best relationship you can have with them beside working for them. The coilovers were not made for the Insight per say, they start life as a 02-05 Civic Si coilover that was modified with custom valving and springs.

Here is a picture of the Time Trial car.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Oh ok, you might be able to get 50 if that's the case. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
78 Posts
That makes sense. I'm with Sportcar Motion. They are sponsoring a build rite now but we tried to get them to make one for the insight as we were thinking about going K24 like you but held off. Now we're looking for other options in regards to suspension. Maybe you can get them to make setup for the fronts and rear lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buis02, Haha small world. Loi helps me out every once in a while and I have bought some parts from you guys. Love the Black K24 CRZ build, that thing is sweet.

I tried to get Fortune to do rears as well but they weren't interested when I asked either. Still working on it though.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Buis02, Haha small world. Loi helps me out every once in a while and I have bought some parts from you guys. Love the Black K24 CRZ build, that thing is sweet.

I tried to get Fortune to do rears as well but they weren't interested when I asked either. Still working on it though.

Thanks,
Mike
Haha the Black K24 CRZ owned by Daniel is nice. It has gone through a lot. The unfortunate news is that he is parting it out I believe. Last I heard was that he was going to buy a Porsche or something lol. If you know anyone that's interested, Morgan & I are selling the white FD2 w/ the jap spec front and rear end that was featured on a few magazines.

Haha keep pressing Fortune to get them to do it. I'm sure the insight community would jump on those quick. I tried to get Andy V. to help persuade them but it was a no go lol.

If you're looking to get mounts I would definitely hit up Brian from Hasport for the mounts. I believe he's going to do a limited run on them.
Steve

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Steve,

I tried to get a hold of Brian but he didn't have any available and he was not sure when the next run was going to be. I would much prefer to have his mounts it all just depends on timing.

Sucks about that CRZ I really like that car.

That FD2 is killer as well. Would love to have that. Do you have an Ad listed somewhere so I can get the news out? Message me on Facebook so we don't crowd this thread any further. Haha

Thanks,
Michael Lewin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started by taking the everything in the rear including the IMA battery. The Previous owner was kind enough to leave me all this stuff in the rear compartment. Looks at there are some brass looking things back there....

Got the foam out and started to remove the battery and converter. All of these was pretty. Stripped it down until I had a clean rear section.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking good. I'll take the 9mm bullets jk. What are you doing with all the stuff you are yanking out of the car? You should hit up user Eli and see if he needs the core battery or something.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buis- I sold the engine but still have the rest of the parts. I need to get rid of them so If anyone is interested let me know.

Next I wanted to tackle getting the engine removed. This is pretty normal except for the power cables running to the rear.

Normal looking Insight running gear and....

Bam... Its out.

I have a bunch of parts if anyone needs anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that all the running gear was removed I can start working on the custom parts I would need to make to achieve my goals.

I am going to be jumping around to different areas of the car as I have a chance to complete tasks. All of these things are happening at once so I am sorry for being so manic.

I'll start with my suspension.

Like I said in the beginning I plan to use Fortune Auto 510 coilovers. These coilovers started life as 02-05 Civic front coilovers. I am using spindles from a civic as well because it allows me to use a larger axle and brakes. From there I had Fortune install their new high range adjustment valves and 4K springs.

I used kinematic software to calculate a spring rate that would give me a decently comfortable ride as well as having the ability to stiffen up when I wanted to go roundy round. Fortunes new high range adjustment valves allow you to artificially add spring rate. This is great as it will allow me to have that smooth ride and weekend fun car with one setup.

Here are the Fortune Auto 510 coilovers.

Clearly the first problem would be is that the tophat on the Fortunes are not the same as the tophat needed for the Insight. I looked around for tophat/camber plates but could not find anything for the Insight, so I decided to make my own.

This is what I came up with. This is the second version as I designed a first one and I didn't quite like the range of adjustment. You can see the difference in the comparison below.

Here are the first and second design 3d printed. Black is the first and blue is the second. The adjustment slots are shifted upwards slightly and this gives a slightly higher range of adjustment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Once I was happy with the design, I had the tophats machined out of aluminum.

Here is the new tophat compared to the one for the Civic.

The next issue to tackle was the lower control arm ball joint. I have seen other setups where people weld the Insight spindle insert into the Civic Spindle. I planned to go this route but with a custom made insert.

Here is the insert I came up with. Pretty simple and easy to press into the Civic spindle and weld.

After I did this I realized that with everything installed the lower ball joint pin hits the axle. I could cut down the pin for clearance to the axle but then I would lose the cotter pin. On top of that, I thought about serviceability and I would have to remove the axle every time I had to do something with the the lower control arm. This is why I decided to start over.

The other option would be to modify the lower control arm to accept the standard Civic ball joint. I started by removing the ball joint from the arm and facing both side flat and parallel.

Here is the arm after machining. Oops I nicked the arm a little with I was removing the ball joint. This is just a test arm anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the arm ready to accept an insert, I designed one with correct taper and came up with this.

The insert will be pressed into the arm and than have a backup snap ring to make sure it doesn't move.

Here is the insert 3d printed and pressed into the arm. This one does not have the snap right groove but you get the idea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice fab work! Are you planning on opening up the hole so you can make adjustments for the suspension from up top? I'm only asking because it seem like there isn't much space between the hole and the studs with the stock insight configuration. I think that's why most people that do the swap end up keeping the stock rsx/ep3 top hats and making new holes on the chassis side.

I guess you can just drop the suspension (if you don't open up the stock hole) whenever you want to make adjustments but that would be super hard to do when doing an alignment...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dkim48- Yeah I plan to clearance the top a little so I can adjust it on the fly. Ill post pictures once I get to that point.

Here are some pictures of the finished lower control arm insert. It fits really well and will make sure the suspension works like its suppose to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just thought you guys might like to see the suspension that I took out of the car. Someone who owned it before me slammed the poor Insight. When I got to the front suspension this is what I found. They had cut the springs and Zip tied everything together. As you could guess the car never touched the springs, it just rode on the bump stops front and rear. I drove this car 5 hours home and my back hurt for a week. I hate hellaflush kids. haha.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts