Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried searching, but I am not using the right combination apparently. My auto restart sometimes does not. If I row the stick a couple of times 2nd back to 1st it will usually restart, but a bit disconcerting in traffic.

I am guessing there is a switch under the car near the transmission tunnel that tells the computer the car is back in gear. Can someone either point in the right direction for a search or locate what I am guessing is a switch or relay?

Thanks

Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Your vehicle should restart all the time by just touching the throttle. (If it is in autostop) That should be done with the clutch in of course.
HTH
Willie

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It's annoying. There are two sensors (~$15 each on HPN) on the transmission housing that monitor shifter movements (1) fore and aft, and (2) side to side. If I rock my shifter side to side then it will restart. I suspect on the those sensors are going out, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet.

To busy with other peoples cars :D

EDIT: I have found that is I rock the shifter side to side while stopped, before trying to restart, then when I do go into first and release the brake the car will consistently start up

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
Your vehicle should restart all the time by just touching the throttle. (If it is in autostop) That should be done with the clutch in of course.
HTH
Willie
That does not work for me. It causes an awkward inertia moment as I lean foreword and press the throttle expecting the car to go and it does nothing hahah

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does the same thing. It's annoying. There are two sensors (~$15 each on HPN) on the transmission housing that monitor shifter movements (1) fore and aft, and (2) side to side. If I rock my shifter side to side then it will restart. I suspect on the those sensors are going out, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet.

EDIT: I have found that is I rock the shifter side to side while stopped, before trying to restart, then when I do go into first and release the brake the car will consistently start up
Very helpful, thanks. I will try the side to side trick, but at least now I know where to look for the sensors. I am guessing one is either out of adjustment or perhaps simply a bad connection.

I will try Willie's suggestion of tapping the gas as a backup until I get it sorted. Thanks again guys.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

So it sounds like your car doesn't detect that you moved the shifter into neutral until you rock it side to side?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If you are searching using the insightcentral search towards the upper right, it sucks :mad:. Use the google custom search search towards the upper left, it works great for searching this site:).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it sounds like your car doesn't detect that you moved the shifter into neutral until you rock it side to side?
No, actually the opposite. I get auto STOP fine, but when I move the stick to 1st, it doesn't see that move, so I don't get the auto START. So it would seem one of the sensors may be a little out of adjustment. A little frustrating in traffic with a bunch of eager beavers lined up behind you!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
No, you can go into auto-stop in gear as long as your foot is on the clutch. Then you have to move OUT of gear (into neutral) and back in before it will auto-start. If the car still thinks you're in gear, it will not start.

No, actually the opposite. I get auto STOP fine, but when I move the stick to 1st, it doesn't see that move, so I don't get the auto START. So it would seem one of the sensors may be a little out of adjustment. A little frustrating in traffic with a bunch of eager beavers lined up behind you!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I have had the same problem a few times in the 220,000 miles on mine. It is frustrating but I too was not pressing the clutch all the way to the floor. Easy to do when your in a hurry with traffic behind you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, you can go into auto-stop in gear as long as your foot is on the clutch. Then you have to move OUT of gear (into neutral) and back in before it will auto-start. If the car still thinks you're in gear, it will not start.
Interesting.

I typically pop it into neutral with the clutch released as I approach a stop. So I am typically in neutral, clutch released. Green light blinking. If I put the clutch in, then the green light goes solid. If I don't get auto start, rowing back and forth a couple of times 1st to 2nd usually will get me started. It can go for days and not happen. And then without warning, no auto start. I can't see any common denominator other than to think an out of adjustment sensor, or perhaps a bad connection.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
34 Posts
I currently get both auto-stop not killing the engine and auto-start not turning it back on. It seems the auto stop issue is corrected when I give a bit of a tap to the clutch. The auto-start issue however sometimes requires a full foot-to-floor clutch action to restart (always awkward when holding up traffic). Thanks for the tip - I'll look into the sensors (are these mounted outside or inside the transmission?)

·
Registered
737 Posts
If someone were to put a switch in parallel with the neutral switch (same as the Calpod/CARD switch), would that keep the car from an auto-start? The reason I ask is because with my FAS switch, it simulates an auto-stop. This means that if I've killed the engine and say the traffic light turns green before I get there and I just want bump-start to preserve the SoC for the rare case that I may want assist later on, I have to do the key off and back on routine to keep it from restarting when I put it into gear to do the bump start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It seems my issue was intermittent - it was a problem for about two weeks out of the 5 months I've owned it. It may have been partially ambient temp related?

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Auto stop will also disengage when the 12V battery is below a certain voltage.

Why it won't come out of autostop when desired is another story.
Willie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try doing this. When I had an issue with my ECU, it didn't display the MPG bar on the bottom of the FCD when I was in lifetime MPG and ODO. What I did (just a freak accident because I was installing a new headunit) I disconnected the car batter under the hood for at least couple hours. When I reconnected it, it seems like it rebooted the ECU and ECM. My car was acting differently and without a SOC on my battery bar. I thought it was strange. So I took it for a ride, and the car thinks that my battery is completely drained so it tried to recharge the IMA battery even though the batter was full to begin with. I kept on driving and all of the sudden the SOC filled up the guage and I was at max charge. My car's Auto-Stop no longer had the issue you have (intermittently would not start) and if I push the gas pedal, the car would start right up (assuming the clutch is pushed in). My guage with the MPG bar has also been fixed. Also, my SOC didn't drop as rapidly as before. It seemed like there was a glitch in the car that has been fixed once all the power has been cut.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Try doing this. When I had an issue with my ECU, it didn't display the MPG bar on the bottom of the FCD when I was in lifetime MPG and ODO.
That's actually a setting. Check your owners manual on how to get in and out of that mode.

What I did (just a freak accident because I was installing a new headunit) I disconnected the car batter under the hood for at least couple hours.
a minute is enough to reset everything

When I reconnected it, it seems like it rebooted the ECU and ECM. My car was acting differently and without a SOC on my battery bar.
After removing power, the car forgot all its' data on the battery, so it did a relearn.

Relearn:
Battery gauge shows empty
4 bars of regen for 45-75 seconds if the rpm is above about 1800 (longer if below) - no assist available
After the calculation is finished, the 4 bars go out and the gauge rises to the appropriate SOC level. It rises slowly to avoid scaring people.

I thought it was strange. So I took it for a ride, and the car thinks that my battery is completely drained so it tried to recharge the IMA battery even though the batter was full to begin with. I kept on driving and all of the sudden the SOC filled up the guage and I was at max charge. My car's Auto-Stop no longer had the issue you have (intermittently would not start) and if I push the gas pedal, the car would start right up (assuming the clutch is pushed in). My guage with the MPG bar has also been fixed. Also, my SOC didn't drop as rapidly as before. It seemed like there was a glitch in the car that has been fixed once all the power has been cut.
Your car started with a clean slate. It has not yet determined that the battery has a problem, or perhaps your battery is not exhibiting that behavior right now. The MPG bar went back to its' default setting (displayed), and the SOC gauge now matches the SOC range of the battery.

Will it fix the auto-stop problem that the others are having? Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's actually a setting. Check your owners manual on how to get in and out of that mode.
Yeah, I found out about this setting accidentally one day when leaving work. I do know now that it can only be changed back to normal while sitting still and suspect that's the case for getting into that setting as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts