Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I don't know where this thread should go, so......
I have an 03 five speed with over 30,000 miles bought new last January with a lifetime of 70.3.
Previously I had an 02 cvt. The 03 engine shuts off when I push in the clutch for more than a few seconds with the car still in gear. It used to do it when I was slowing down to a stop, but now it does it at any speed. Is this a normal situation? Is this how five speeds behave? Maybe I just didn't notice it at higher speeds before. If you shift normally the engine keeps going, but as I said if you hold the clutch in the rpm's drop to 0 and the auto stop is engaged. It doesn't seem to affect the mileage, and I am used to the way it drives.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
No I don't think that is normal. It is however something that a few of us who live in hilly regions would like! Can you say; really efficient coasting and auto restart? If you find out why this is happening please let me know. :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Yes, it is normal behaviour for auto-stop to kick in on 5 speeds when you depress the clutch at less than 20mph(ish) while not touching the accelerator or changing gear. It won't always happen.

I personally find this a little difficult sometimes as I occasionally tend to (perhaps poorly) coast up to junctions, especially at roundabouts here in the UK, when I might not have yet been able to judge which gear I will want to take off in. I then find that auto-stop has kicked in and I have to change gear twice (or fiddle around) and lose momentum in the process.

I now also have a CVT which is that much more straightforward as it will only auto-stop when you come to a stop - but then you don't have any control over it compared to the 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Good point, Holicow!

By normal I mean 20mph or less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.