Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the time is nearly here for me to tackle my first Auto Solo on Sunday in the Insight, looking fwd's to it, wish me luck, I think I'm gonna need it.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Good luck! :)

Whereabouts?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a timed sprint type event through a course marked out with cones, it's at Weston-Super-Mare airfield.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the results were encouraging.

We used 3 different course layouts, one the 1st layout the Insight WOULD have been quickest in class if I hadn't understeered & clipped a cone & knocked it over on both runs, giving me a 30 sec penalty.

On the 2nd course layout, my 1st run was OK, apart from missing a gate & hving to do a U turn to go back through it, costing me 15 secs, I was actually about 13s of the best time, encouraging.

My 2nd run on the 2nd course was messed up as it rained & Iundersteered into a cone again.

On the 3rd course my 1st run was 2nd fastest in class, took it easy to get a time, on the second run I missed a gate & had a 30 sec penalty.

With a little more care on my part I am confident I can challenge for a win at the next Solo event, I just need to eliminate the understeer.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Nice going! it sounds like you have a winner there. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can try raising the front tire pressure or lowering the rears to help correct the understeer. I would try several lbs difference between the two to start with, but may take more than that. Guillermo should have more info on this.
In California years ago, we would get a 1 sec penalty for a cone and that was usually enough to knock you down several places, but 30 sec? That seems mighty excessive to me.
Good luck with it in the future.
robert

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes, tire pressures are an important way to tune the handling of cars and can help but does not solve a severe understeering issue.
Put chalk on the corner of the tires to determine who much the sidewalls are flexing under load. Increase the front tire pressures until the chalk line is only scrubbed off near the corner of the tread and not on the vertial sides of the sidewall. (~45-50 psi hot with all season tires). The rear tire pressures should be dropped to increase sidewall flex so the rear end will slide sideways more easily to rotate the car (~28-32 psi hot). But this is only for auto solo/ autoslalom driving, do not drive on a high speed race track or on the highway with rear tire pressures this low.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts