Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Insight. I need to locate the circuit that runs the auto stop system on this vehicle, Specifically, I am after the wire that shuts off the engine in the auto stop mode.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Welcome.

I want to know as well. I'd love a manual override for that function, mainly to make it last longer :)

I don't think it is as easy as tripping a wire though. The Insight seems to measure state of charge of both batteries, temperature and humidity of the air inside, and the settings of your climate control, gear lever and economy switch.
Eco on - lever in D or N - ventilation off - lights off - radio off - low moisture and nice temperature in the car => AutoStop for minutes on end.
Eco off - lever in S, R or P - A/C on - lights, radio, rear window and seat heater on - etc; => no AutoStop.

What was your plan, anyway?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Why?

If you want to keep it from auto stopping (like I do every time I drive the Insight) then simply switch to S instead of D. Vola' A/C during stops.

Also, the software updates (some 2011 do not have it) make auto stop last longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My purpose is to shut off the HHO system during auto stop. I do not want to generate during a stop.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Please define HHO system.
Curious mind want to know.

Willie

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
HHO is a system designed to efficiently funnel money into the pockets of HHO system makers.

It's a hydrogen generator that lets you convert the 12v electricity you already used gas to make into hydrogen with less than 50% efficiency. Then you feed the hydrogen back into the engine!

Somehow thereby improving your gas mileage!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are entitled to your opinion. Unless you have touched a match to the outlet hose, I do not think you are qualified to rant on the use of HHO. My pre-HHO mileage is well documented. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Let's not dig into the subject whether "HHO" works or not. All you need to know is easy to find on the Internet if you google HHO.

But you cannot use the AutoStop indicator.
The Insight will not use fuel when it is in EV mode. The engine will turn but the valves remain closed and it does not take air. You need to stop the hydrogen generation then as well.

I think you need to look at throttle position; only generate when it is not in idle position.
Best would be to make it dependant on air intake volume, so it would be constant for the mixture.

(This does not mean that I claim it works, but regardless if it does or not it is best to do it well)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Unfortunately there isnt a wire for auto stop. Since you are going to run a secondary circuit that runs with the engine running or consuming fuel I suggest tapping either the yellow black injector wires or part of the ignition system. The ignition system may still fire while the engine is spinning in EV mode as well as fuel cut off, so the injector wires would be a better bet.

Auto stop is programmed into the ecu and it is depended on several factors. It you want to disable auto stop then that could be an easier hack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to try a micro "sail" switch that should activate when air is drawn in. In theory, it should do exactly what I want. Stay tuned for updates and mileage reports after about 500 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts