Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Would you mind to share your disappointment? :evil:

Today it was a mix of cool, cloudy, drizzle, then it cleared up warmed up, then became humid as hell and felt just as hot but my mid read 80 degrees.

I drove with econ off to make sure the ac ran at stops and was cold as possible as I was sweating like I was being hosed. Mines only auto stops with econ off if the hvac is off and its in drive, it wont in "sport" mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cobb, I was disappointed cuz this whole time I thought auto-stop only happens in econ mode.

also, what do you mean when you say ur air blows cold when Econ is off? I thought the auto stop on Econ on and off is the same which means the air being cut off?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
29 Posts
With the A/C on auto-stop only works with the Econ on, if the econ is off the engine still runs to make the A/C colder

·
Registered
11 Posts
Auto stop not working

My auto stop did not work on the commute this morning, 59F outside, no A/C on, ECON mode on, I even turned the entire air system off at one point. I did not have the recirculation button on.

2011 base

·
Registered
79 Posts
Auto-stop still works with Econ off - it's just that there are factors that will keep it from working with Econ off when it works with Econ on. It will typically last longer with Econ on, as well..

From your tone, it appears that you're disappointed that Auto-stop is not fully disabled with Econ off ... why would you want your engine to keep idling and wasting gas when the car is not moving? is it to avoid the "shudder" when in stop-and-go traffic? I make use of it in stop-and-go - I try to maintain a big enough cushion between my car and the one ahead that I never have to completely stop. When the car slows to less than 6 mph, the engine shuts off so I'm not using any gas at all until I need to speed up a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Auto Stop Not Working

I want auto stop to work, I don't want the car to idle at stop lights, that is why I bought this car. The car did not shut off at any of the stops I made this morning. ECON on ( I never shut it off), 59F (very humid, fog). I did not have the defroster or A/C on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
For auto stop to work in Econ mode, several criteria need to be met. Engine temperature, IMA temperature and state of charge come to mind. If you're running with climate control on there is a humidity criteria as well as temperature.

As soon as you turn of the climate control, auto stop behaviour is practically identical, irrespective odd whether econ is on our off.

Edit: oh - to be sure it engages, you need to have a foot on the brake as you drop below 8-7 mph. If not it can be a bit random.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For auto stop to work in Econ mode, several criteria need to be met. Engine temperature, IMA temperature and state of charge come to mind. If you're running with climate control on there is a humidity criteria as well as temperature.

As soon as you turn of the climate control, auto stop behaviour is practically identical, irrespective odd whether econ is on our off.
I think you have that backwards. Auto-stop is more likely to work in Econ mode than with Econ off. I think you know that but I just wanted to point it out for newbies.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Don't have anything backwards there. The difference for auto stop between econ on and off is mainly linked to climate control. With econ on it makes auto stop a bit more cabin temperature tolerant. The humidity criteria is unchanged. So are the criteria related to engine temperature, ima temperature and SOC.

If you turn off climate control entirely auto-stop likelihood and duration are pretty much the same, irrespective of whether econ is on or not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't have anything backwards there. The difference for auto stop between econ on and off is mainly linked to climate control. With econ on it makes auto stop a bit more cabin temperature tolerant.
Again, I agree your understanding is not backwards at all. It's just that the way you expressed it ("For auto stop to work in Econ mode ... ") made it seem like it was. I think if you had left "in Econ mode" out of your first sentence, the possibility of confusion (well, my confusion, anyways ... ) would have been eliminated. See the difference with a slight modification in brackets:

For auto stop to work, several criteria need to be met. Engine temperature, IMA temperature and state of charge come to mind. If you're running with climate control on there is a humidity criteria as well as [cabin] temperature.

As soon as you turn of[f] the climate control, auto stop behaviour is practically identical, irrespective odd whether econ is on our off. [The impact of cabin temperature deviation from CC setpoint when climate control is on is lessened in Econ mode.]

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's the pitfalls of posting from a phone. You get the abridged version of what I'd like to post with extra typos ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Auto Stop

It was working this afternoon, not sure why it did not work at all this AM, only that it was very humid and foggy this AM. I know all about the 7 MPH engine off, etc. I learned something on this forum about how to get the car to run temporarily in EV mode, so the battery could have been low, but I ran the car for 40 minutes, stopping at least 8 times, and car did not shut off until I turned the key off. I have only had the car for 6 days, although I have dreamed of owning a hybrid for years, so I probably know more about hybrid cars than the average driver (present company excluded).

·
Registered
943 Posts
I used to get quite precious about giving auto stop the best chance to work and would turn off climate control if a stop was likely, plus gently brake to a stop. More recently I've not bothered and the difference to mpg has been miniscule. If anything it seems to have improved, probably because I've conserved momentum better by not seeking auto stop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts