Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Insight is a trophy winner!

On Sunday I took first place in H Stock at the Sacramento Region Enduro autocross. This was a single, 5-lap run with trophies awarded for the top three finishers in each class. I finished with a time of 3:19:XX, which was probably mid-pack for the field of about 130 cars, and about eight seconds better than the second-place H Stock car, a Triumph TR7.

Here's a photo:

As discussed in the earlier "auto...eople some new respect for the Insight. 8)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That's legendary! 8) So where can a fellow buy one of these Insight cars? Who makes it? :p :lol: :lol: (Made my day)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love it! That is too cool. There's nothing better than being the underdog and coming out on top.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the nice comments. :)

I'll link to the results when they're posted online (usually takes them a week or so).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Give us a description of what the course was like. How long did it take to complete one lap? Was the course very technical (tight) or was it more of an open course? What kind of times did the GS class guys run? Where do you guys run this event? Are you penalized for cones hit? If so is it the normal 2 seconds per cone? I'm thinKing of suggesting that our local club down here in San Diego run something like this. The more details you could provide would be helpful. :D

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Great news.
Just imagine what you could have done if the assist could have been double at a few strategic points, and you used the rest of the charge rather then having some power left over.
In the stock system, the assist is 100A when you first punch it, then if sustained for 5-10 seconds, it drops to 50A, and stays there till you next let off the gas. With MIMA, you can have the full 100A assist for as long as your batteries have charge, then the assist just drops out. No damage done, just charge it back up, which can also be faster with the MIMA control over charging.
MIMA and Insight racing should go together well, could be interesting, it feels a lot like a turbo kicking in when you goose the MIMA stick. Of course PIMA would apply the assist for you so you would not need to take your hands off the wheel.
What do the other MIMA guys think?
Of course then there is Jackmpg's turbo MIMA, stand back for that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
Great news.
Just imagine what you could have done if the assist could have been double at a few strategic points, and you used the rest of the charge rather then having some power left over.
In the stock system, the assist is 100A when you first punch it, then if sustained for 5-10 seconds, it drops to 50A, and stays there till you next let off the gas. With MIMA, you can have the full 100A assist for as long as your batteries have charge, then the assist just drops out. No damage done, just charge it back up, which can also be faster with the MIMA control over charging.
MIMA and Insight racing should go together well, could be interesting, it feels a lot like a turbo kicking in when you goose the MIMA stick. Of course PIMA would apply the assist for you so you would not need to take your hands off the wheel.
What do the other MIMA guys think?
Of course then there is Jackmpg's turbo MIMA, stand back for that one.

That would be tough to class. The car would not longer be stock and there really isn't any rule books set up to deal with hybrid modifications. Maybe the local club would be willing to put it in SM or one of the SP classes.

At 1800lbs, if it had 145-160 total HP and some serious rubber it could do some good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
It could probably be considered like a new engine management chip, does that change class?
Yes engine management changes the class. Very limited in stock class.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
commuter said:
Give us a description of what the course was like. How long did it take to complete one lap? Was the course very technical (tight) or was it more of an open course? What kind of times did the GS class guys run? Where do you guys run this event? Are you penalized for cones hit? If so is it the normal 2 seconds per cone? I'm thinKing of suggesting that our local club down here in San Diego run something like this. The more details you could provide would be helpful. :D

Mike
Well the course was fairly fast, in my experience, and I was relieved because tight slow turns hurt the Insight since it doesn't have any low-end torque. It consisted of a couple moderately-fast sweeper turns, a 4-cone slalom in the middle, followed by a short "back straight" and an S-curve. Just before the slalom, the course made a 360-degree loop and then crossed over itself. Overall, a very interesting and fun course.

The course was so fast that, with the traction I had from the Kumhos, I was able to run almost flat out all the way around. One of the Camaro guys came up to me after and said "I didn't see you braking at all," and that was pretty much true once I had learned the course. I was able to simply lift off the gas a little when I needed to slow down, and there were only 2-3 places on the whole course where I had to use the brakes.

The Sac region runs its autocross events pretty much like everybody else, and follows the S.F. region rules pretty closely. Downed cones are a 1-second penalty. Events are usually held at a parking lot at the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds in Stockton, which has a rough asphalt surface. It's not a giant lot, so the courses are always fairly compact. It rained Friday night, so we had a wet surface to contend with Saturday morning, but Sunday weather was sunny and dry.

I don't remember what the GS guys were running, but on Saturday I was consistently about 3-4 seconds faster than the FS cars (those Camaros), none of which had autocross tires, by the way. On Saturday, my best 2-lap run was 1:23:XX. As noted above, my time in the 5-lap run on Sunday was 3:19:XX (I initially goofed and listed it as 2:19, but I've corrected that). It seemed like the fastest regular cars were the Street Prepared folks, who were turning 5-lap times around 2:48 or so. There were a few karts in the event, and the best of them had times around 2:10.

Overall, I think it's a great event. It's awesome to run back-to-back laps like this. But I don't think it would work for a large club. Again, there were about 130 entrants on Saturday, and this made for a really long day for everybody. As a result, at the last minute they decided to start an hour early on Sunday, at 8 a.m., and to break the work groups into two sessions to spread out the workload. On Saturday my work group was out on the course for 4 hours shagging cones. That was painful.

Oh yeah, and in the 5-lap finale, any mistakes and it's "game over." If you enter the slalom the wrong way, or spin out and fail to re-enter the course properly, or forget to do all 5 laps, your day is over. You only get one shot at the 5 laps, so the stakes are kinda high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts