Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.k, guys here's another reason to come to InsightFest InsightFest in July.

Autocross!!
Sunday, July 20
All day. 8:00-4:00

The local Sports Car Club has a public event that day and has confirmed that we are welcome to come and compete. ($35 event fee covers everything.)

Newbies are totally welcomed, and encouraged to give it a try.
We have at least one member on this board who competes regularly in his Insight and says it's a blast!

As part of the day, you are expected to help volunteer throughout the entire day. So no leaving early.

No need to officially sign up right now, but I hope it will encourage even more of you to join us for InsightFest!

I'll create a separate post that explains what a typical autocross day is like.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A Typical Day Autocrossing with the Madison Sports Car Club:
I always recommend that you arrive early. There are a lot of things that need to be done, and it's best to give yourself enough time. As a competitor, I like to arrive at the track around 7:00 am. I've seen people show up as late as 9:00, but this doesn't give you any prep time.

When you first arrive, you'll want to stop at registration.
Registration is open from 7:30 am to 9:00 am. At registration you will provide information on you and your vehicle, sign the insurance waiver and pay your entry fee ($35 non-members/$25 members). If you desire, you can also signup for membership and pay your dues ($50) at registration.
After you're done at registration, you'll want to find a place to pit. If you aren't sure where you can pit, ask at registration. When looking for a place to pit, find a place that has enough room for all of the contents of your car and enough working area to get around your car. It's good ettiquete to not crowd other people's pit areas. Also, be sure you aren't blocking access to someone else's pit. If you're unsure, ask someone who's around.

After your car is emptied (including removal of floor mats, spare tires, loose articles, etc) you'll want to take your car over to technical inspection. Here, your car will be checked over to be sure it's safe and then classed appropriately. Any disputes with Tech should be directed to the autocross steward. Tech is open until 9:45 am.

Once your car passes Tech, you'll probably want to go out and walk the course a couple of times. Walking the course gives you a chance to learn the course before competing.

At 10:00 am is a mandatory driver's meeting. All drivers are required to attend. An announcement will be made prior to the meeting. At the meeting, the autocross steward will go over the day's schedule, worker assignments and special considerations.

Immediately following the driver's meeting, we allow first time drivers to have a practice run or two. This is so we can familiarize newbies with what an autocross is like before having to do it in a competition.

At 11:00 am, we will start the first set of runs. Depending on the work/run heat assignments, you'll be doing one of three things, either driving first, working first or taking the first session off. Depending on turnout, we strive to give everyone six runs, plus have people only work one heat.

If there's time left over after the event, and the event staff isn't worn out enough, they'll organize some fun runs. Those who wish to do fun runs will be split into a run/work heat so that there are always workers on course.

Once the timed runs are done, we'll tally up the times and have a trophy presentation. The top-third in each class receives a trophy. We'll usually round up in favor of the drivers if we've got enough trophies.
We ask that while the times are being tallied that others help with course clean up and packing the trailer.

We are typically done between 5:00 and 5:30 pm.
A quick run down of the day's format:

Registration
7:30 AM to 9:00 AM

Tech inspection
7:30 AM to 9:45 AM

Walk the track
8:30 AM to 10:00 AM

Mandatory Driver's Meeting
10:00 AM

Rookie Practice
10:00 AM to 10:45 AM

Timed Runs
11:00 AM - ???

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They usually have helmets available for use at the event.
But if you have one, please consider bringing it.

Keep the questions coming and I will check on them as needed.
Or if our resident Insight autocrosser is around, perhaps he'll chime in.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Please explain the different classes.

Willie

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willie,
Here is the answer from the Madison Sports Car Club Autocross FAQ page
AutoX FAQ | Madison Sports Car Club

So what is a class? How do I know what class I'm in?
To keep competition fair, each car is classed according to its performance abilities. This keeps Dodge Vipers from directly competing against VW Foxes. A number of people make modifications to their vehicles. As modifications are added, a point value is assessed. The points determine if you run in Stock, Prepared, Modified or Race categories. For cars unchanged from the factory, they will run in the stock category.

We have a class for every vehicle, from cars to trucks to karts to anything with four wheels.
Anyone on staff can help determine what class you belong in. However, the final authority of class comes from the technical inspector and autocross steward.
I may submit some of our racers' details ahead of time if it seems like it will help things go more smoothly at the event.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have been racing in H Stock with my G1 Insight(s). This requires use of street tires (for the Madison Sports Car Club). So, no "racing rubber". If you have some mods on your car, you might end up on a Modified or Prepared class. By July, I might be in one of those due to upgrades on my blue Insight.

It is a blast and highly recommended, whatever you care to come out with to drive.

B

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bluesight has offered to be the point of contact for this portion of the weekend's activities.
Thank you!

One caveat is that if there is rain in the forecast, this event will be called off.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Possible change of venue!

There has been an update to Milwaukee Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) autocross calendar and there is now a 2 day autocross program open in Milwaukee at Miller Park July 19th and 20th (events 4 and 5 on The Milwaukee Region Solo Schedule). This is the event I would plan to be at on July 20th. But I would also expect to be there on the 19th. While the Madison Sports Car Club event in Jefferson on the 20th is a great alternative, I think the Milwaukee event may have a bit more to offer. There are usually a good number of cars and drivers at the Milwaukee events (sometimes close to 200). And the variety of vehicles is usually pretty wild.

I am proposing a flexible schedule for the WI InsightFest autocross weekend. Come on either (or both) days for the Milwaukee program. I will plan to be there (barring nasty weather) for guidance, introductions and instruction (though many others can also help with instruction). It does get busy, so try to get there well before 8AM on race day(s).

B

PS...yes, it's early, but it's worth it!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
For Discussion

The Milwaukee club autocross at Miller Park is about an hour and a half from Madison. And it is important to get there pretty early...maybe by 7:30AM, but definitely before 8. If that is too hard to take by most folks (for Sunday, July 20th at least), please let me know...

In comparison, the Madison club autocross at Jefferson Speedway is about 40 minutes from Madison. And getting there by 9AM would probably work. If that makes attending an Insight(ful) autocross way more likely, please let me know...

B

PS...In any case, please give me some idea if you are interested, and would plan to attend an Insight Autocross event...

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
I have been racing in H Stock with my G1 Insight(s). This requires use of street tires (for the Madison Sports Car Club). So, no "racing rubber". If you have some mods on your car, you might end up on a Modified or Prepared class. By July, I might be in one of those due to upgrades on my blue Insight.
I hate to be a party pooper, but autocrossing is always about the rubber - if you want to be competitive. Many years ago I successfully autocrossed in the Wash, D.C. area and it was always about "the rubber."

To have a fair chance of being competitive one would need well selected special street tires, fresh and shaved to the specified minimum depth. I don't even know what the current hot tire is, but it certainly isn't the Bridgestone RE-92;)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Well...there's competitive, and then there's FUN. You might have to resign yourself to the fact that your Insight will probably not get FTD (fastest time of the day...I have). So long as the course doesn't have some nasty skid pad (tight, 360deg round about), even RE92s can be fun, at least for a day out at an autocross. If you want competitive (in street tire), it's Dunlop Direzza Star Spec or Falken Azenis. Those are the tires that basically fit an Insight (14" in a diameter that fits inside the wheel wells).

So for this outing, maybe don't worry about tricking out your Insight...unless you must...

B

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Yeah, you are right. Autocrossing can be lots of fun, even if one gives up on the competitive factor:)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
"Last" check...

Just making a late check on the Insight Autocross interest...

I see the Wagon Train is starting soon, so it might be a good time to at least think about it. The weather forecast for Sunday the 20th is actually looking a little adverse at the moment, so it might end up a non-issue. But my preference still is for the Milwaukee AX (on Sunday), weather permitting, and that is what I would recommend. If there are more than say two drivers interested in the Jefferson AX (a little closer to Madison), then I would reconsider where I might go.

Right now, if you really want to AX, then your best bet would be Saturday, July 19th, in Milwaukee. Weather is looking positive for that day, so I will definitely be planning to be there!

Otherwise, see folks maybe Thursday or Friday at some point...

B

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Hey Bluesight,
I have zero experience autocrossing and don't want to hurt my baby... depending on when the SO wants to head back, I might 'compete', but would likely get the worst time of the day ;).

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I'll stop out at Quaker Steak and Lube on Thursday eve (and maybe for a brief time at Union South on Friday) and find out the interest then...

And I see the red Insight off Osmundson regularly (I end up in that neighborhood often), but haven't talked to the owner. There are actually quite a number of Insights in Madison, mostly silver, and a few red, that can be seen driving Madison's streets...

B

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Autocross Options

Milwaukee Region Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) at Miller Park (my preference):
Saturday, July 19th -- The Milwaukee Region Solo Schedule Event #4 Jul 19th (Sat). Half lot (Yount) event
Sunday, July 20th -- The Milwaukee Region Solo Schedule Event #5 Jul 20th (Sun). Half lot (Yount) event

Some details:
Registration: 7 am - 8 am ($45 for non-member/event membership onsite registration)
Course walking 7:45 - 9 am
Tech Inspection: 7:15 am - 8:15 am
Drivers mtg/worker check-in: 9:15 am
First car off at 9:30 am

OR

Sunday, July 20th -- Madison Sports Car Club Autocross at Jefferson Speedway

Some Details:
Late Registration-Additional $10.00
8:31 AM to 8:45 AM: Tech inspection
7:15 AM to 9:15 AM: Walk the track
8:30 AM to 9:30 AM: Mandatory Driver's Meeting
9:30 AM: Rookie Practice
9:45 AM to 10:00 AM: Timed Runs Start

----

I'll be trying to recruit participants, probably for the Milwaukee events, on Thursday evening, and maybe at the Friday dinner get together too.

B

PS -- The weather forecast for both Saturday and Sunday has now turned just about PERFECT (for Milwaukee anyway)...AX is a great outdoor event...

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Please note that, if you are coming to the MKE Autocross, there is a major interchange closed just before going into downtown Milwaukee (the Zoo Interchange at 45/894). Find an alternate route and adjust your GPS accordingly. I will likely get off at the Bluemound/18 exit (#297 - end up going east) and quickly turn south on Barker Road (County Y) to Greenfield Ave (Hwy 59) east all the way down to Miller Park Way and head north.

Good luck!

B

1 - 20 of 20 Posts