Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
7,200 Posts
I see a few of you have the warm air intake mod and have relocated the outside temp sender.

How does this help? I thought cooler denser air was more efficient? Also, does the engine now think it's warmer outside and change the ratio of fuel/air with sender relocated?
I believe the only real benefit to relocating the ambient air temp sensor would be to get autostop when it is below 40ºF.

Cooler, denser air is "better" in the sense that it contains more oxygen, so more fuel can be injected, and you get more power.

If it weren't for lean burn, this would be good with the Insight, too. However, it has been learned that warmer air promotes the car to enter lean burn mode. That's the real purpose of the warm air intake mod.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
JoeCVT:

Do you or anyone sell complete LSAS kits or blank CCAs? Do you have the schematic posted somewhere? Is this still the best option for a CVT, or has someone come out with a better idea for a CVT in heavy stop and go traffic?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
JoeCVT:

Do you or anyone sell complete LSAS kits or blank CCAs? Do you have the schematic posted somewhere? Is this still the best option for a CVT, or has someone come out with a better idea for a CVT in heavy stop and go traffic?

Thanks.
I do sell these as an assembled board ready to be installed with each one tested in my car prior to shipping. I do not have a kit (build-it-yourself) for sale.

When the LSAS board was first being sold, it cost forum members $250 in the early sales because it used to take so long to make each one (all hand made including the solder etches). As time went on, I found an easier method to make the solder etches with photo etching PCB and it cut the time to make several of them at once (could be a batch build).

The more recent cost of the controller board itself is $95.00 so that is a huge differnce from the original $250 just for the functioning PCB.

Besides the one I have in my car, I sold the last one I have from a previous batch about a month ago to russellc. I still have one in my car from the previous batch that I can sell since I still have an early prototype I can put in instead. Over the winter, I will be working on a newer design of the board so I have not made any new batches recently. The new design is working on breadboard but have not completed the final details enough to photo etch onto PCB.

So there is still one more left for sale from the previous batch for $95.00 and that includes shipping. Payment is typically made via PayPal. Please send me a PM if anyone is interested. Also, even if this last one gets sold, if there is anyone interested in the upcoming newer batch over the winter, please let me know in this thread or by PM. With more interest in another batch, it would likely speed up the timeframe for release.

To answer your other question, besides the LSAS board, I do not believe anyone has come up with another method of having a CVT AutoStop more often in stop-n-go traffic or the drive-thru. Also, there are no buttons to push or reset, it is all automatic :) .... It will sense when you come out of AutoStop and does it's thing to alert the ECM that another AutoStop can occur even if you only drove 4 MPH (for example) from the last AutoStop.

Hope that answers your questions,

JoeCVT = just your average CVT owner

·
7,200 Posts
Something like this would almost be handy for 5 speeds too.

When going through a drive through, I purposefully let the car ahead of me pull up before I start moving, just so I can jackrabbit up to at least 5MPH before I come to a stop again.. so it will go into auto stop again, lol.

i dont think it would help MT owners much, because its easy to get autostop again and again even in stop&go traffic by putting the shifter into the next gear before going to neutral and lifting the clutch pedal. This trick, tricks the computer into auto-stopping every time, even after just moving a couple of feet.
Hmm.. Just saw this. I'll have to try it. Jumping up to 5mph before stopping again works 90% of the time, but sometimes that isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
here is a little retarded animation i whipped up right now trying to show this technique. Didnt turn out as good as I hoped :rolleyes:. But main thing is slightly passing by 2nd gear with the clutch pedal in before going to neutral. (although not sure if this might be bad for the transmission/syncrhos)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Joe are you still offering to supply these boards for the CVT? I don't have my red MT anymore so I went with a blue CVT. I'm so accustomed to the M/T I'm sure I'll be a bit annoyed at not having the control over auto stop as I once did. I'm getting it tomorrow. I don't do a lot of city driving but I do enjoy tweaking things.

Ah, the good old days of balancing momentum and idle stop. How I shall miss thee.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Joe, I too, would like to know if you are making any more of these FSAS boards. I never saw this thread until today, and I have had my cvt for a couple years now. MT insights usually get all the cool good stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hello Megaoptimus, Ryan C, and Pascal28

I apologize for not responding sooner but I have not been visiting the forums quite as often as I used to awhile back.

Yes, I will still be offering the LSAS in a few more months. There is a new design now.

The new design will be under PIC control using the P12f683 so it will run via "firmware". It reduces the amount of electrical components required compared to the previous batch of LSAS PCB's. Also, now that the components take up less real estate, I will be combining two different boards.

Besides the LSAS PCB, I have have been using a PCB that modifies the TPS signal going to the TCM so that the CVT ratio remains in a better position for MPG when going up small slight inclines (not related to LSAS). The oringal PCB used MAP and brake light signals to determine if mod is in use (via relay) and the more you press on the gas pedal, the more the default TPS is used. Basically, this board helps keep the CVT in a better ratio for going up those slight short inclines without over-reacting by changing the ratio too soon.

The new design will use vehicle speed and MAP sensing for determining to use default or modified TPS voltage output to the TCM (It does not affect the TPS voltage going to the ECM) Since both designs will now use the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and will be under PIC control, it made sense to combine them into one PCB that ends up being the same physical size as the earlier LSAS PCB's.

I will likely offer the choice of LSAS and CVT ratio for purchase or LSAS only for purchase using the same PCB. The difference in options will be fewer components with the CVT ratio funtions disabled in the "firmware" if you purchase LSAS only. The cost for LSAS only will probably be around the same price as what I quoted earlier ($95) and the CVT ratio option will probably be $60 more (these are just estimates - so around $155 for both functions on one PCB).

I have the design laid out as to how I want it etched onto PCB and I am checking out the functions of the code right now on a working "bread board" within my blue CVT Insight. I am not sure what exact date I will have the new design for sale as it is now approaching winter in New Hampshire. However, I have cleaned out my garage recently so I can work inside if several are interested.

If you wan't to purchase the LSAS board, I would need you to go to:

Online Waiver and Liability Form

and select "Low Speed Auto Stop" to electronically sign a waiver and liabilty form.

If you have interest in the optional CVT TPS mod as well, I still need you to do the above waiver, then do it again while selecting "CVT Adjusted Throttle Curve".

Payment can be made via PayPal. I do not require any upfront PayPal payment until I am ready to ship you the board.

Thanks,

John (aka JoeCVT)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Does anyone offer the LSAS for the G1 CVT ? I would be interested in one.

If no one makes it, is there a schematic available so I might build one for my '01 CVT?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anyone good at reading schematics and figuring out parts lists?
It seems like there were still people interested in this mod.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Interesting thread. Just learned about this feature while chatting with DeLee. Great idea for cars in stop/go traffic not already equipped with MIMA or IMAC&C.

fwiw: I have IMAC&C in my cvt which allows an idle stop at will by going to neutral and 'pulling in' some regen while braking. Stalls the engine on the spot. Taking foot off the brake or putting the tranny back in drive restarts the engine.

I DO NOT attempt this while 'down-hilling' like we'd do by fas'ing an mt. Several discussions here indicate coasting is not healthy for the cvt.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here a better link for more pics.
http://m.imgur.com/a/oeD8z

Someone made this parts list for me:
Not sure if correct

2 1.0 micro Farad Capacitors $0.057 - $0.440 Per 1 item
1 4.7 micro Farad Capacitor $2.430 - $17.52 Per 1 item
4 100 micro Farad Capacitors $0.094 - $0.500 Per 1 item
1 LED (Light-Emitting Diode) $0.444 - $3.480 Per 1 item
1 Delay Select Jumper JP1 ......................................
1 12.5 kilo ohm Potentiometer $1.790 - $27.02 Per 1 item
1 14 kilo ohm Potentiometer $1.790 - $12.70 Per 1 item
2 150 ohm Resistors $0.164 - $4.960 Per 1 item
3 1.5 kilo ohm Resistors $0.950 - $4.260 Per 1 item
1 2.2 kilo ohm Resistor $0.950 - $4.430 Per 1 item
2 10 kilo ohm Resistors $0.190 - $3.490 Per 1 item
1 46 kilo ohm Resistor $0.790 - $8.950 Per 1 item
2 LM556 Dual Timers $0.129 - $0.704 Per 1 item
1 NPN Transistor $0.013 - $12.20 Per 1 item
2 PNP Transistors $0.0383 - $2.15 Per 1 item
1 LM7805 Voltage Regulator $0.500 - $1.680 Per 1 item
1 SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) Relay
$2.250 - $61.94 Per 1 item

·
Registered
621 Posts
Interesting thread. Just learned about this feature while chatting with DeLee. Great idea for cars in stop/go traffic not already equipped with MIMA or IMAC&C.

fwiw: I have IMAC&C in my cvt which allows an idle stop at will by going to neutral and 'pulling in' some regen while braking. Stalls the engine on the spot. Taking foot off the brake or putting the tranny back in drive restarts the engine.

I DO NOT attempt this while 'down-hilling' like we'd do by fas'ing an mt. Several discussions here indicate coasting is not healthy for the cvt.
I'll be grabbing an IMAC&C and the OBDIIC&C in a couple of months. Looking forward to it. I like the aspect that this does everything automatically. I'm not a fan of moving to nuetral.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are these still for sale? How much if so? Also how difficult are they to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think JoeCVT may have moved on - I tried to get in on this 2 yrs ago, but never got an answer. Looking at his profile, last post was 10/15.

We can hope he makes another pass by....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
A number of years ago I bought JoeCVT's original board or it was the first version he had in his car. He replaced it with a newer version. I never installed it. I later added a JDM ECM to get lean burn in the CVT and the JDM ECM goes into autostop easier than the normal ECM so I had no need to install it. Now I have my Insight up for sale and have no need for the LSAS board. I will sell the board I have but need to get approval from JoeCVT and prior to selling the person would need to sign the waiver with JoeCVT. I sent him an email to a direct email address I had and will see if I get a response.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A number of years ago I bought JoeCVT's original board or it was the first version he had in his car. He replaced it with a newer version. I never installed it. I later added a JDM ECM to get lean burn in the CVT and the JDM ECM goes into autostop easier than the normal ECM so I had no need to install it. Now I have my Insight up for sale and have no need for the LSAS board. I will sell the board I have but need to get approval from JoeCVT and prior to selling the person would need to sign the waiver with JoeCVT. I sent him an email to a direct email address I had and will see if I get a response.
I think I remember he removed the auto stop board from his own car when he sold it, as he was worried about legality issues.

I tried to reach JoeCVT when I first got my car to talk about these board. Never could reach him.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I contacted JoeCVT and I can sell the one unit I received from him. I will sell it for $100 including shipping, no warranty, I think that is what I paid for it in 2011. I never installed it or took it out of the box.

The one you will receive, according to JoeCVT, is the one in his video on you tube titled "LSAS-demonstratin.AVI", utube user JoeCVT.

JoeCVT indicated that he sold both of his insights a while ago and has not been on the site in a long time.

If someone buys the board from me they will need to sign his waiver before I can ship it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts