Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic 2002 Insight.
The IMA battery has 9 of it's 10 toes in the grave, but a grid charger has been keeping it somewhat alive for about the past year.
The 12v battery may be going bad, too, but I'm not sure. The battery light has been coming on recently, and has done so in the past. When it does, I remove the negative cable and charge it, and it's fine for a few months.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but last September my garden hose blew and filled the foot-wells with water, frying the ECM on the passenger side. It's seemingly been driving fine since. I got a replacement from ebay recently, though I haven't actually replaced it yet; I've read that after installing a new ECM it will have to be flashed or the car won't start. Since the car seems to drive fine I keep forgetting about it.

I charged the 12v battery today; afterwards the car doesn't want to start/wake up reliably after autostopping; punching the gas started it a few times, but mostly I now have to put it in park to get it to start back up. Mainly, though, depressing the brake no longer wakes the car from autostop.

After a bit of research I tested the under-panel fuses; some showed 12v, the rest tested positive for continuity.
From what I've read, I should test/replace the ground cables. My first thought was, since the car was working fine before charging the 12v battery, it must be the 12v battery's ground cable, so I wiggled it a bit and whatnot, and tested it for continuity; it seems fine as far as I can tell, but what do I know?
I've found pictures of the rest of the cables here, and I suppose I'll at least test them for continuity.

I'm wondering where I should go from here.
I read that replacing the IMA battery can help, but it's sort of a 'last resort'. I do plan on eventually replacing the IMA battery with a replacement from bumblebee.

For now, though, I'm wondering what I should do in the short term.
I've read that the ground cables are usually the first go-to; are they easy to diy? As I've said, I've found pictures, but where do I actually buy them?

I'm mainly confused that the car was working fine before charging the 12v batter; I'm worried I may have fried something.

Thanks in advance for your time, help, and advice.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Maul:

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I can't speak to the ECM issue. I'm sure someone will weigh in with a suggestion.

You've read good advice on the grounds, the simplest and least expensive things to update. Yep, grounds can cause weird stuff. Even though they may look good on the outside, many corrode from the inside.

Any automotive store sells cable suitable for making new grounds. Make sure the negative lead for the 12v is stout enough.

The pic you have should do nicely to locate the grounds.

Your CVT (rather than automatic) also has a ground cable, you may want to consider replacing it also.

While you're at the auto store, ask them to "load test" your 12v. Even though it shows good voltage, it may be weak.

After that, see how the car behaves. If it sets another trouble code, read the code(s) before resetting (and erasing them) and let the folks here know what it is.

Consider updating your profile with your general location. There may be an Insighter near you willing to lend a hand.

Good luck,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info; I thought I had added my location already, but I'll look into it.

When installing new ground cables do I need to take precautions? Say, disabling the IMA battery?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Thanks for the info; I thought I had added my location already, but I'll look into it.

When installing new ground cables do I need to take precautions? Say, disabling the IMA battery?
The only precaution I would suggest is not attaching the terminals of the straps to corroded mating surfaces. Clean them to shiny metal with a piece of abrasive paper and also clean the bolts with a wire brush before securing the terminals.

The ground straps in the engine compartment are for the 12 volt system, so you do not need to turn off the IMA battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info; I've got an oil change coming up in the next couple days, and I'll see to changing the ground straps at the same time.
Then I'll see if it still has issues with waking up from autostop, and go from there.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Seems like I read a thread the other day about auto-stop problems, and the poster mentioned fixing it by cleaning the ECM contacts at the plug. Might be mixing up posts/ideas, but considering that you mention 'frying' your ECM, water, and all that, might be a good idea to check the connections to the ECM and make sure they're dry, solid, clean, etc...

Here you go, it's like 2 threads down from yours: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/109985-inconsistent-stop-start.html#post1274570

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! Since that garden hose catastrophe, I never actually bothered getting at the ECM; all I did at the time was remove the seats and pull the carpet up as best I could, and left the doors open for a couple days to dry it out.
I'll need to give that a go; heck, I may as well try swapping it with the replacement ECM I bought to see if it'll start without needing to be flashed.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Flashed? There is no flashing of Insight ECUs. Have I missed something?

Sam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I original looked into having the ecm replaced, I read that the car wouldn't start until the new part was flashed to match the rest of the computers. I vaguely remember watching videos of people desoldering their faulty ecm's security chips and soldering them into a new one, though it kept the car from starting the instant the guy turned the key. The guy had to wait a few seconds before turning the key, which I've had to do ever since my ecm fried.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
There is no flashing. But the key DOES have to match the ECU. You can make this happen by putting the "ECU" key next to the chip reader in the car, then using the "CAR" key to turn the ignition. It this works and you want to continue using this ECU you can have a key made with the chip to match the ECU and the cut made to match the car. There are threads on this.

I guess swapping the immobilizer chips would work too, but that sounds like the hard way.

Sam

·
Registered
37 Posts
And a lot of money!

I watched a video from Scotty Kilmer on YT since my OP, and I suspect the PCM/ECM got wet in that rain storm, with the window down. Video here: https://youtu.be/UsCwse54Tmo

Because things are intermittent, I think I might only have some corrosion on the contacts, and not a ruined PCM/ECM. If so, I simply need to spray the male and female contacts with electrical spray cleaner and only that. I will try it tomorrow, weather providing.

I think the IMA is a seperate issue, though, because it is behaving like a battery on its last year. It was low-charging before this saga began.

I will post a follow up after trying the spray cleaner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts