Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago i bought a bunch of muffin fans from partsexpress.com. a few different sizes, really cheap. i mounted two behind the exhaust vents in the back of the cabin to help draw warm air out of the back of the car and force it out the flapper valves in the rear bumper area. i also mounted a fan at the left rear bottom corner of the battery system to help draw air out of there, and one of the fans i picked up fit perfectly inside the air inlet behind the right seat. i finally got a chance to wire them all up today. they operate in pairs: the battery pack fans on one circuit, and the cabin exhaust fans on another. i put in a pair of oval toggle switches to the left of the "cigarette lighter", each with a blue LED to remind me that they are on. i took power from the fuse block on the left side wall under the dash. fuse 19 is for the dome and trunk lights, and so is powered right from the 12 volt battery. the plan is to use the fans when the car is parked outside in the sun. i figure .8 amps wont kill an optima yellow-top in 10-12 hours. i hope!

pics to follow.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here's a pic of the switches. they look like they came with the car.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nicely done.

Any chance you'll post the pictures of the mounted fans? I'm interested in what you've done in the rear. Someone has previously posted pics of a "double Muffin" mounted behind the vent at the rear of the pax seat. Almost invisible.

Have you considered solar power for the fans?

Personally I use a heavy tint on the windows and a window "visor vent". Probably not enough, and you have more drag at speed.

BTW, What brand radio is that?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx kevin!

there is nothing to see as far as the fans go. the ones for the cabin venting are just mounted behind the sheet metal in back of the louvers in the cargo bay. completely invisible with the carpeted sides in place. the pusher fan in the battery compartment is actually stuffed up in the plastic ducting behind the right rear speaker. and the one that pulls air out of the battery system is just mounted to the bottom of the aluminum casing that holds all the IMA goodies, just above the spare tire, way on the left side of the case. i just used 4 of the existing holes to mount the fan.

i have considered solar for the fans, but my windows are already tinted quite dark. kinda counter-productive, eh? :lol:

as for the radio, its a kenwood i pulled out of my grand wagoneer. i have had it for about 3 or 4 years. works great! and it even has a home-brew aux input for my mp3 player!

i'm also thinking of making some detatchable window visors to use while the car is parked at work. or home. just not anywhere they might get swiped. :x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts